Should MacBook Pros come in "black" and "white"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anthony T, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I was thinking since the iPhones and iPads come in black and white, that the next-gen MacBook Pros should also have the same option. How would you feel if the current MacBook Pros also came in a "white" version where the bezel around the screen and the keys were white instead of black?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yes. They should. Apple should also allow us to customize the color with options such as red, orange, yellow, blue, green, etc. :p

They probably will sell more with these kinds of color selections as it will appeal to more people. :D

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why not just buy a regular white MacBook then? :confused:

4. iAmRod macrumors member

Absolutely NOT! You can't, and shouldn't even try to, change perfection!

5. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Read that a little more carefully. He's asking to have a white option for keys/screen bezel. Not the entire machine.

It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but It would be really nice to include black accessories (power adapter, video adapters, wires, etc) to match the current configurations. It made a lot more sense when Apple produced primarly white/silver systems, but now they tend to have a silver/black scheme except for the base Macbook of course.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

What about white keys?

Now the white iPhone, the magic mouse, the wireless keyboard, and the track pad all match. (the apogee duet and my keystation keyboard as as well)

Everything but the mbp keys...

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I wouldn't be opposed to white or black options. Other colors, no. They look cheesy and cheap. Leave that to Dell.

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

No, because then we'd have oodles of useless flamewars about black vs. white. I wouldn't mind the Macbook in black though :)

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Sorry and no offence, but white keyboard & bezel is definitely a *thumbs down* from me.

10. JTA60288 macrumors member

I think Apple should reintroduce a black MacBook but the MBP should definately stay silver with a black bezel/keys, because that's what really gives it its elegant look and what makes the colors pop.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a silver bezel on my MBP (but black keys) but I'm not so sure about white. Personally I think white would look a bit unprofessional, but I'd need to see it in person first before I could truly pass judgement.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1. Have you seen those Dell ads on TV where people click different plastic covers onto their Dell laptops to make it "reflect their personalities"?

13. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone think they'll have black and white options on the new ones?

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Doubt it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see the black glass screen bezel go away completely in favor of a silver metal bezel like the Air and the current Antiglare MBP.

15. omgitswes Guest

I always wondered why they don't have black MBPs. I would love a black one over the silver that they use now

16. DrKockter macrumors member

if the whole computer was of those colors then yes, but if its jsut the bezel or something small, than not really. white and alunimum on a big laptop woudl look kinda weird

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Rumor is that they tried it, but the finish wasn't durable enough. Right now if you scratch or chip the silver finish on an MBP you just see the silver aluminum underneath. With a black finish on top of the aluminum any scratches or chips would really show.

In a few years they will probably be able to mass produce notebook cases out of the liquidmetal alloys that they've purchased the rights to. I've read that colors can actually be mixed into the liquidmetal material so that the whole case would be colored all the way through, rather than just a surface finish.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Right, because the only thing one need consider when buying a laptop is its color.

19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

That would be awesome. I would love colored Macbook Pros

20. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Colored laptops is not an issue for Apple at all they just choose not to sell them.
    Watch this video it explains the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhVOy-ytJY

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I agree that it's technically possible, I think it just has to do with fine tuning a cost effective and durable process for mass production.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/apple-tried-and-failed-to-make-a-black-macbook-air/

22. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

The Macbook Pro X

I'd love to see a black configuration named as the top of the line Macbook Pro. Something like Macbook Pro X. And that had the best hardware that could be fitted. Like a real hardcore Pro machine. But as I've read before, this isn't Apple's market. So may not happen ever.

23. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

Use some common sense, people.

The reason the keys are black is so that the backlit letters, which are a translucent white to allow light through, will still be readable when in a lit room and not using the back lighting.

If the keys were white and the letters were white to accommodate the backlighting, you wouldn't be able to read the letters on the keys unless you turned the lights off and enabled the back lighting.