Should pirates be reported

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lava Lamp Freak, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

My sister gave my dad a bootleg copy tonight of Wanted. She got it for $5 from a friend. If this was a guy giving a friend a copy of a movie to watch I wouldn't say anything, but apparently he will hook you up with copies of new release DVDs for $5. The movie even has a printed label.

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You're not obligated to. In fact, you might even get your dad in trouble if you report it.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Seriously? Have a little loyalty, geezus. Don't narc out your family unless its something extremely serious.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you try and turn in speeders on the freeway too? Don't be a square.

5. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Ironic considering your username. Haha
    I'd say don't because it's not worth the trouble and it's not really that big of a deal if he's not selling them for face value and to a broad market.

6. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Shes an idiot for paying money for a movie.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yes, how dare people not steal everything they want. :rolleyes:

8. dtx macrumors newbie

Correction. She's an idiot for paying for Wanted.
    :)

she was paying for a pirated version...*cough*

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Not worth your time or energy to trying to report this activity. Like others have said, you can get your family in trouble as well.

Wonder who one would report this to anyway?

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

Your time is better spent telling your sister and family not to buy pirated stuff.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

true that

worst movie ever

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Please use multi-quotes, rather than consecutive posts.

That makes a bit more sense, however the originally poster said "Shes an idiot for paying for a movie" Not "a pirate movie."

13. Lava Lamp Freak thread starter macrumors 65816

At this point I couldn't turn the guy in if I wanted to because I even don't know his name. Apparently I misunderstood and the friend she got it from is the one who paid for it and she doesn't even know the guy who sold it to her friend.

Honestly though, someone selling bootleg movies or games deserves to be penalized for it, and they are all of the time. I do feel strongly enough about it that if I knew who the guy was and if this is a big business for him I would report him. Pirating is NOT a victimless crime.

I feel very strongly about copyright laws as I have many friends who are musicians and make their living selling music. My sister's ex-husband, who is a guitarist, found out a website was selling pirated copies of his CDs for years and he couldn't do anything to stop them even though he tried. It hurts when someone else is getting paid for your product and you don't get a royalty on it. So, unless you've actually been affected or known someone affected by such things I guess you wouldn't understand. It is actually our responsibility to report wrong doings when we see them.

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Agreed. There's nothing you can do about the pirates themselves though.

15. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I 100% agree. I would go with some others' advice and try to talk to your family about pirating. Make sure you convey the same type of emotion you use in these posts. I am also big on intellectual property, which is why I reevaluated my life and stopped pirating a long time ago. It really is odd that our society finds it okay to pirate things online when it is in fact stealing. Hell, today, I had a friend tell me he stole a bunch of DVDs from Walmart, and that it's okay because "They've ripped me off," and "They're the corporate devil."

*sigh*

Keep standing up for what's right.

16. dtx macrumors newbie

my apologies. the 2nd quote wasn't posted until after i quoted my first post. Next time I shall Edit.

as for the topic at hand, we could get into the Pirate debate and go all year about it.
    My opinion is to do what you feel is right and moral. If I were in your situation and felt pirating was wrong (which I don't), I would speak to the people involved and give them my thoughts.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

if you know who the person is that is creating the copies, turn them in. They deserve it.

As for the other side. Education is the way to go. Here's something that came up not to long ago in a group of folks I was talking to.

I'm an actor and a writer and we were talking about home video and the strikes. Some folks were complaining about the writers strike and the writers being greedy. Until it was pointed out to them how little of a share the writers and actors were getting of home videos and how it didn't even include things like itunes and amazon downloads at this point. And that the studios didn't want to change this so they could keep making tons of profit.

So now the tune is changing. it's all 'those greedy studios'

I knew that one of the guys in the group has been known to torrent movies, especially DVD rips and burn them instead of buying them. so I tossed in the added comment that that is part of what blows about DVD pirates. Us actors might only make a penny on a DVD sale but when it is pirated we are denied even that.

the guy walked up to me later and said that he knew that I knew he was doing it but he'd never thought about how it was hurting the actors and writers, some of whom might even be friends of his.

I'm fairly sure he's stopped downloading DVDs.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I agree. I'm going to release a commercial game this year along with an accompanying OST, yet I can imagine a whole chunk of my wages are going to vanquish due to piracy. When its done I would have worked full time for 3 years on this game all by myself (with an extra musician filling up the music) yet some sniveling brat with entitlement issues will download it regardless using the most absurd reasoning.
    Seriously, is there a good reason for pirating? If you can't afford games, movies or apps then save your money up. I had to.

It's a shame there is no perfect DRM.

I've turned many a pirate ebay seller in, and reported 5 or so sites that flogged pirated games too. Especially with all these game studios now being shut down it's a stupid time to be pirating.

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

In this thread, the MPAA is tracing your IP.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What's sad is that people like you don't even think twice about stealing.

21. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

He didn't say his dad was pirating the movies, he said a friend of his sister's.

Why is it wrong to think about turning someone in for stealing? I hope (I don't really, but for the sake of discussion, let's say I do) someone breaks into your house and takes a bunch of your stuff, because then someone can patronise you for having the nerve to report someone to the police.

22. Lava Lamp Freak thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't turn someone in for pirating movies or music for personal use. It is strictly someone selling bootlegs movies that I was discussing. Seriously though admitting you have 500GB of downloaded movies say something about the way you view society. I hope someday when you are an adult you understand how this actually does hurt the movie industry.

23. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Yup, I am amazed at how many people here actually download illegally, and don't seem to think they're committing a crime. The common excuse is 'Oh, musicians make music for other people, to enjoy it, so it should be free' or 'That musician must be rich anyway, why should i pay for his/her song?'

The reason we don't have jobs is because we are full time into music. Making music costs a LOT of money, and a LOT of time - and a lot of grey cells! Then you have to spend months marketing it, pushing it to labels, etc - and when it finally is available for sale, people go and download it for free.

When one of my songs hit #1 on itunes (in the 'dance' category) the first few comments I received on my youtube page were : "Where can I download this for free??"
    :rolleyes:

24. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

And yet, somehow, people like John Travolta, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt still manage to make enough to live in multimillion dollar mansions. Hell, Travolta even has a Boeing 747 and his own private runway for it.

That said, I draw the line with movies. I don't download movies (except through iTunes). I also don't download music (except through iTunes). Only thing I torrent are tv shows that I cant get off iTunes and/or if the quality is not as good as the torrents.

25. Lava Lamp Freak thread starter macrumors 65816

There are many more people involved in the movie industry than the big name stars. You are right, those big time actors/actresses mostly likely won't be greatly affected financially by pirating.