Should the Apple employee be fired?

realeric

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Apple totally screwed up the keynote and the pre-order event. With huge data centers, Apple's streaming event continued to freeze. There was also an annoying Chinese girl's fxxxxxx voice as loud as the narrator's voice. Apple online store wasn't back up for 2:45 hours today. They wasted customer's time of 1,000,000 customers x 2 3/4 hours x $9/hr = $24,750,000. It shouldn't happen in the world #1 high technology company. Who will be taking responsibility? Tim? Phil? Jeff? Angela?

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2009
The streaming event was certainly a mistake.

The preorders, come on. The sheer volume of connections would break the toughest servers. Apple always handles it reasonably well, and within 4 weeks, everyone will have forgotten about the whole thing. It happens every year.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
I am not upgrading and didn't preorder so it didn't matter me at all. That being said, heads should roll over this fiasco. It's pretty inexcusable for a technology company to have as many infrastructure issues as Apple does (I'm talking iCloud issues as well).

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Apple totally screwed up the keynote and the pre-order event. With huge data centers, Apple's streaming event continued to freeze. There was also an annoying Chinese girl's fxxxxxx voice as loud as the narrator's voice. Apple online store wasn't back up for 2:45 hours today. They waisted customer's time of 1,000,000 customers x 2 3/4 hours x $9/hr = $24,750,000. It shouldn't happen in the world #1 high technology company. Who will be taking responsibility? Tim? Phil? Jeff? Angela?
How did they 'waist' customer time?

Do you really think a single employee is responsible for the broadcast of the keynote?

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Hey, I'm worth a lot more than $9/hr.

I'm seriously bummed at how they ****ed up both the keynote and the prelaunch. It's like they haven't got this **** figured out yet. You have more money that most small countries and you can't get this right? WTF.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Who will be taking responsibility? Tim? Phil? Jeff? Angela?
Akamai and their subsidiary, Edgesuite. Those are the external vendors that provided bandwidth for the keynote and for the Apple store. That's assuming any heads must roll, which I disagree with, and I'll explain why.

Like I said another post like this calling for blood: Apple, Google and similar companies would be stupid to buy the bandwidth and servers they think they need for what amounts to a single day of frenzied traffic, and then let that stuff sit unused the rest of the year. So they farm this stuff out to third parties (like akamai), who make educated guesses about how much bandwidth is enough.

Regardless, the demand clearly outstripped both Apple's and Akamai's expectations.

The other option would've been overspend by tens of millions of dollars to have too much bandwidth (assuming that much bandwidth even exists globally... we don't even know that that's the case), and then Apple gets a PR black eye: look at all this money they spent and NO ONE CAME. OMG SELL THE STOCK! iPhones aren't selling out fast enough, APPLE IS DOOOOOOMED!

Apple right now is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Either the buyers are pissed because they can't get in, or the lack of site crashes means no one is interested.

Right now, Apple's stock is up, and people are still trying to buy the phone. So I doubt anyone should be fired.

Last edited:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
and I have a felling there is more to come!

I'm afraid the Plus is a half-baked product with only 1GB ram, moderate update of the processor, which will struggle to run the display and its resolution.

Oh boy...is it another iPad3?

Personally, I pre-ordered both, so have an option to choose....

maybeiloveyou

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
california
The streaming event was certainly a mistake.

The preorders, come on. The sheer volume of connections would break the toughest servers. Apple always handles it reasonably well, and within 4 weeks, everyone will have forgotten about the whole thing. It happens every year.
See, I feel like it's the opposite. Apple does this every year, why don't they have it together by now?! This is the 8th iPhone release! I think they do it on purpose... gets everyone riled up and more excited, they can say this was the craziest launch ever (every year...). Short of their servers exploding, I don't see how this wasn't their fault.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
I always think it's funny how easy it is for people to say someone should be fired for something as they're most likely wasting their company's time posting on an internet forum while on the clock. :p

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
and I have a felling there is more to come!

I'm afraid the Plus is a half-baked product with only 1GB ram, moderate update of the processor, which will struggle to run the display and its resolution.

Oh boy...is it another iPad3?

Personally, I pre-ordered both, so have an option to choose....
As if the iPhone 6 will somehow have 2GB of RAM should the Plus only come with 1?

If you're that concerned about it, cancel both orders. I'm sure two other buyers will be happy to have yours.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As if the iPhone 6 will somehow have 2GB of RAM should the Plus only come with 1?

If you're that concerned about it, cancel both orders. I'm sure two other buyers will be happy to have yours.
His point was larger devices do worse than smaller devices on 1 gig RAM, as we've seen with the iPad vs. iPhone.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
People are still obsessively buying these devices until they are sold out. These technical hiccups really don't matter. I love the the devices, but find the keynote presentations to be profoundly annoying anyway. The preorder is always a mess, and it's a mess because people are falling over themselves and throwing money at Apple as fast as they can...

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Whoever was responsible for the keynote stream should be fired, yes. It was a hugely visible failure.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
show me a the site that can handle 10 million nerds banging away on the refresh button non stop for 2 hours....

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
Apple is going to break records with the sales of the iPhone 6, and nobody is going to get fired over it.