Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Apple totally screwed up the keynote and the pre-order event. With huge data centers, Apple's streaming event continued to freeze. There was also an annoying Chinese girl's fxxxxxx voice as loud as the narrator's voice. Apple online store wasn't back up for 2:45 hours today. They wasted customer's time of 1,000,000 customers x 2 3/4 hours x $9/hr = $24,750,000. It shouldn't happen in the world #1 high technology company. Who will be taking responsibility? Tim? Phil? Jeff? Angela?

Are YOU going to put your money where your mouth is and REFUSE to buy the newest iPhone because they "waisted" your time?

If not....

/thread

----------

Further -- and I am the FIRST one to call people out for blindly defending Apple, but in this instance, I feel it's justified so....

Further... I don't see how this was such a huge deal. The Keynote... sure... that could have probably gone better (which is *probably* why they don't stream it for a lot of things) BUT.... c'mon... what do you expect? This is literally the biggest launch of the biggest consumer product of the year. I bet whatever company YOU work for has botched something before and I would almost venture a guess that most of us don't work for a top tech company or a top company in ANY field. And if you do, and your company has NEVER had any issues handling the biggest product/job/service of it's existence.... well then I'd like to buy in, cause that's a very well run organization.

Point is -- cut them a break. Every iPhone launch as been met with delays and error messages trying to preorder. That's because MILLIONS of people are trying to preorder at the same time.... it's common sense. Also, try to (and it's hard because of sheer volume and numbers) consider the scale of the product launch....

I think expectations are a bit too unrealistic. At the end of the day, Apple is a bunch of humans sitting behind computers just like us!!

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Sometimes putting up enough resources for one event is not probable, when it only lasts for a few hours.
You can blame the people refreshing every second. The pre-order was basically one giant DDOS attack on Apple.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Apple totally screwed up the keynote and the pre-order event. With huge data centers, Apple's streaming event continued to freeze. There was also an annoying Chinese girl's fxxxxxx voice as loud as the narrator's voice. Apple online store wasn't back up for 2:45 hours today. They wasted customer's time of 1,000,000 customers x 2 3/4 hours x $9/hr = $24,750,000. It shouldn't happen in the world #1 high technology company. Who will be taking responsibility? Tim? Phil? Jeff? Angela?
i gave the media something to talk about for months to come. more publicity equals more money! just made them more popular.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

The website is actually never went down since midnight PT (maybe slow yes). They just applied load balancing mode so it only accepts very few people in to ensure the order system won't get overloaded. If they were to let EVERYONE and their mother in, they might have access but orders might be all f-ed up because everyone is ordering at the same time. Case in point: Buy.com Black Friday 2010 Panasonic Plasma TV deal. Everyone went in and ordered... almost everyone got confirmation. Then Buy.com realized they did not have enough stock for everyone. They decided to fulfill all the orders anyway by BUYING MORE STOCKS from 3rd party resellers but this is the exception than the norm.

Would you rather have placed the order at 3:15 but it got cancelled a few hours later (or initially marked as 9/19 but pushed to November because they didn't actually have stock for you for that batch?) or placed the order 2.5 hrs later and actually have the same result anyway?

maybeiloveyou

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
california
See, I feel like it's the opposite. Apple does this every year, why don't they have it together by now?! This is the 8th iPhone release! I think they do it on purpose... gets everyone riled up and more excited, they can say this was the craziest launch ever (every year...). Short of their servers exploding, I don't see how this wasn't their fault.

Surprise surprise, "new overnight record."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-6-and-iphone-6-plus-set-new-record-for-apple

Jr1985

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
It bugs me when jobsworths call for people to be fired over something stupid. So what if you couldn't watch the live stream, you could always follow live blogs and watch the video on youtube afterwards.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
there was indeed a failure in the streaming of the keynote.

but I will reverse your remark: who are you to say someone should be fired?

You, as a customer, don't know anything about the processes, progress, work and sweat that went into this.
yet here you are claiming something retarded as 'firing someone'. it's so short sighted and stuck up to express your disappointment like this.:mad:

learn to be appreciative and I'm sure Apple's performance appraisal will do its job when needed.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
This is absurd. There were millions of people trying to watch keynote at the SAME time all streaming from the SAME place. The same thing with the midnight preorder event.

What do you expect? Millions of people clicking refresh that's basically like a DDOS attack.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
$9/ hour? Insane.. I haven't made that in over 10 years ... lol ... those were to good days...

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Technically, I never did see an official time Apple was going to begin sales on their website. Everyone assumed it was the same time as ATT and the other carriers...but if I recall, everything said 9/12, and they did open the store on 9/12 for preorders...just on their own time.

The keynote-yeah that was a cluster.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
show me a the site that can handle 10 million nerds banging away on the refresh button non stop for 2 hours....

Just about any live webcam site. ;)

----------

Technically, I never did see an official time Apple was going to begin sales on their website. Everyone assumed it was the same time as ATT and the other carriers...but if I recall, everything said 9/12, and they did open the store on 9/12 for preorders...just on their own time.

The fact that it opened hours earlier on the Apple Store App than on the web indicates a real, unforeseen problem.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It was bad but it was fun to see the comments on Twitter and here. Plus Apple learned for next time. It has been over a decade since they streamed any keynote or announcement live.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I actually completely forgot that Apple was launching a new iPhone that day, and I would have forgotten entirely had I not turned on CNN a few hours after the fact. Fortunately by the time I started watching the keynote everything worked fine.

Seriously though, people, you had to wait a few hours to watch the keynote. It was not the end of the world. You'll live. Quit calling for people to lose their jobs when you don't even know what the hell happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.