Should the iPad be turned off and on once a day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphone joe, Apr 23, 2011.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

Should the ipad and iphone be turned off and on once a day? I heard it makes them run better.

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If you're having problems, a good troubleshooting step is to power cycle the device.

For normal use, I wouldn't worry about restarting it every day. On the other hand, it's really not going to hurt anything.

3. ani23 macrumors 6502

Where did you hear that?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. The occasional reboot is good for the soul, but daily would be a waste of a reboot. :D

5. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I close all Apps and reboot daily or after installing 2+ new Apps.. May not be necessary but doesn't hurt.

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

7. nwbusa macrumors regular

Except when the plane is below 10000 feet :p

8. EmilH, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  9. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

wat? lol

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

Airplane mode ;)

11. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Still need to turn the device off no matter airplane mode or not when they tell you...

12. rcp27 macrumors regular

Only ever reboot mine for OS updates or if the battery runs out. Never had a problem with that.

13. ani23 macrumors 6502

Even if I am not on the plane?

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I could go around and tighten all the screws in my house everyday. It wouldn't hurt, but would be ridiculous.

I've seen no reason that needs to be done. And what apps are you closing? People keep thinking the tray shows what apps are open and I don't get why.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Meh, I don't see why it should unless something wrong happens and you need to reset it or something. Back when I had mine, I kept it on.... well indefinitely; I don'tremember ever turning it off unless something was wrong and I had to reset it (which was pretty rare).

It has great battery life and if I didn't keep it topped off while using it during the day I would just charge it overnight while I was sleeping.

16. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I personally feel like turning my iPad off at least once a day is beneficial. I close all the programs and do a simple reboot. Just seems to run faster.

And I always reboot after installing app updates.

Joust my 2 cents.

17. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

I turn mine off only when my pet chicken tells me to.

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

19. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

We're flying in a Lockheed Eagle series L1011. It came off the line 20 months ago. It carries a Sim-5 Transponder tracking system. Are you telling me I can still flummox this thing with something I bought at Radio Shack?

20. archdelux macrumors 6502

The reason for that is pure and simply congressional lag. There is absolutely no technical or other reason for this other than an old federal law requiring this to be done to prevent potential interference even though this is not even possible with today's technology. There is no reason to use airplane mode either. It should not affect the commercial plane's equipment. It is a federal law so we jump through hoops but it has no grounding in logic or reality as far as I know.

Any pilots here please correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that this is the case.

21. scarboni21 macrumors regular

was not expecting to read a west wing quote today. well done

22. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

You better touch all the corners of your room once a day too. May not be necessary but doesn't hurt.

23. geko29 macrumors 6502

I'm not personally a pilot, but I know a few (Southwest, American, Continental). Every now and then they get "invited" (meaning attendance is not optional) to a test flight, where every seat is filled by an airline employee, and every one of them is required to bring at least two electronic devices and leave them on during takeoff and landing. Nothing ever happens--and the whole purpose of these flights is to make sure that nothing does.