Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPad camera lens protrude?

• No, it should not protrude.

• Yes, is should protrude if necessary.

Results are only viewable after voting.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Which would you prefer, camera as good as they can have it and NOT protrude, or camera has good as they can put in even if it protrudes?

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
No, but Apple doesn't care.

Its easy to do and people will still buy and they will still have decrease in iPad sales.

iPad has basically become iPods. iPhone makes up basically everything.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that actually liked the protruding design. Unless someone just has terrible taste or something...

I know you can't defy the laws of physics to shrink lens' infinitely without a bulge and I get that. But they also didn't have to make it THAT thin either. Could've left it as thin as the iPad Air 1 and I would've been happy. Remember they called it air because it was a big deal how thin it was anyway?

Nobody was asking for a better back camera anyway. Front sure. Back? Not really. They made huge improvements and it's weird to complain, but as someone that never took pics with my iPad, I don't care

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Who are these people? I've seen tourists use the iPad mini as a camera, but not the 9.7", let alone the 12.9".

I really don't know. I'm trying to convince myself there are legitimately people who will use it, therefore the protruding camera is a worthwhile pain point. My personal preference would have been lousy camera but 4GB RAM. :)

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I really don't know. I'm trying to convince myself there are legitimately people who will use it, therefore the protruding camera is a worthwhile pain point. My personal preference would have been lousy camera but 4GB RAM. :)
Yup, no bias here on the forums where people come to complain about what they don't like.

Fill yer' boots. If you don't get 150,000,001 votes against you can't claim "most people."

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I rarely use my iPad's cameras, but I also don't mind the protrusion, so I'd take it if it meant a much better camera for the times I do use it.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Considering it potentially might be used with apple pencil in education, etc , where people place it flat on a table, it seems the protruding camera was a major oversight in this scenario.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Considering it potentially might be used with apple pencil in education, etc , where people place it flat on a table, it seems the protruding camera was a major oversight in this scenario.
I don't think it's going to be as bad as people think. Especially since you can use your other hand to hold it down and it will reject your touch input while using the Pencil.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
no. Especially for an ipad that people will want to use laying flat on a table to draw on. If you're just holding it in your hand or resting on your lap its less important. Also do we want to be encouraging people to hold up a massive tablet and use as a camera?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I think its down to use of the iPad for example, when I get one I know I'll be putting a case on it so it will level it out and it won't bother me.

I'm fully aware most people may not use a case or there could a lot bought into there jobs etc and the case won't be necessary. The IPP maybe placed on a workstation and having that bump will become extremely annoying.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
looking forward to the first youtube videos of people drawing on it while it is rocking back and forth.

Also the first pictures where peoples' nice new smart covers have a ding in them where the camera lens has dug in when the cover is folded behind the ipad.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
You left out the choice of don't care or prefer it didn't have a back camera.

I've never laid my iPad flat on a hard surface. I always put something underneath it, like the leather sleeve I keep it in.

I understand having the camera for scanning documents and stuff, but I did I like using my eye phone for that purpose instead.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
I will make a judgement once I've seen it in person and if it causes a problem when typing or drawing on the iPad while it lays flat, errr... it's a bit of a fail. But not a deal breaker.

I rarely use the camera in my current iPad 3. But it can be useful: scanning documents, taking a quick snap of my daughter doing something hilarious or just taking pictures that don't need to be top quality for inserting directly into an email or eBay listing etc.

It's interesting that the 9.7 Pro intro movie Apple showed had many clips of 3D models and architectural drawings. I am an Architect, so appear to be Apples target audience. I can see how the 9.7 iPad pro could be the ultimate field device. Showing clients drawings, 3D mock-ups, portfolios photos and mood boards. I could mark up drawings and models on the fly. It would also be very useful when carrying out surveys of buildings, drawing up dimensions with the pencil and taking reference photos without having having to swap between a clipboard, different coloured pens, camera and laser measure. I decent camera would be a bonus (as is the flash, especially when the electrics are off in an old building). I think the flush fitting camera from the Air 2 would have been more than sufficient. This 6s camera module is complete overkill.

So on paper, this new 9.7 Pro would be perfect for me. I've looked at the 12.9 Pro, but it would be too unwieldy and cumbersome, especially as some surveys can take 2-3 hours.

However, architectural drawings can be very large, complicated, multilayered PDFs. Modern 3D models are also increasingly heavyweight, containing infinite detail on every aspect of the building. I just don't think 2Gb of RAM is going to cut it for long. Being self employed, I have to think very carefully about the longevity of large investments. I'd need to spend about £750 (~$1070) all in to have the 9.7 inch pro that I need, with a Pencil and decent case for using in the field. I'm not sure if I can justify the decision commercially if this iPad can't cope 18 months down the line.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
No it shouldn't, but then it shouldn't protrude on the iPhone, but then Apple's obsession over thin designs is causing other design features to look rather awkward and imo very un-apple like

I'd like to say its the smart phone battle, but I don't think anyone else is even massively fussed of the 'thin-ness' of a phone.

I would prefer a flush camera on the iPhone but I can't say I notice it at the moment, as mine has a case on which adds a small amount of bulk, but I do see your point!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Just put the tablet on a table - a lacquered or similar surface - i bet it looks great after some time...

Should it have a bulging camera? Of course not.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No, I don't think it should protrude, but I think Apple's marketing makes it look bigger. Look how tiny the camera bump on the iPhone is. When you place a much larger and heavier device down it won't wobble because of such a tiny bump at the top edge of a corner.

Think about this: Apple is full of brilliant and experienced designers. Do you think that in all of their testing and prototypes not one engineer sat down and tried drawing with this "Pro" tablet (which is marketed for drawing and writing) flat on it's back? If this was a major problem it would have been redesigned before announcement.
[doublepost=1458765363][/doublepost]
Who are these people? I've seen tourists use the iPad mini as a camera, but not the 9.7", let alone the 12.9".

I don't carry my phone on me all the time with my Apple Watch, but I'm usually on my iPad. If my pet or something funny happens I will use my iPad's camera. When I'm taking notes in class I take pictures of professor drawings or slides.

I don't actively seek out my iPad for pictures, but I do use it. I appreciate the improvements, but I would have preferred a worse camera and flat back (the opposite of how I fee about the iPhone.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.