Should the iPad have a more fun startup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

After seeing iPads and iPhones turn on the same and really boring way with just a white Applelogo, i started thinking about how they could make it look alot better. I've seen androidphones turn on with moving images and nice things, and the very FIRST time you start a mac, you'll see a really nice welcoming message and that made me be like HMMM... Why can't Apple do the same thing to the iPhones and iPads?

Discuss

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

The iPhone and iPad do have that welcome screen the first time you set one up.
    But for afterwards not so much.
    I would rather have less and faster boot than slow and looking at some silly picture or something.
    But that is just me.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I certainly cannot see myself wanting to be bothered with a start up that I cannot move past quickly. Once you see it that is really all I care to see of it.

4. nfl46, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

nfl46 macrumors 603

Keep it simple and stick with the Apple Logo.

And thats because we can't log in as another users...thats why you can't see that screen.

Hmm, now, that makes me think...what if iOS 6 allows us to log in as guest users on our iPads. That would be pretty cool. Never thought about it. I'm sure some people have kids and don't won't them missing up their original screen with their apps.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Since an iPad never really needs to be started up other than if you have some kind of app issue that requires a full reboot, I can't see how this is necessary.

6. astrorider macrumors 6502

How often do you restart? I would guess the majority of people only see the startup sequence during OS upgrades, so in that sense some kind of movie might be ok. Then again, if you run into trouble and have to restart several times during troubleshooting, there's not much more annoying than waiting for a movie to complete before you can get on with it.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Something different wouldn't be bad. Not some funky animation, but perhaps a quick "welcome" kind of message or alike would be cool.

8. jimHdk macrumors regular

9. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Sometimes, it takes so long that it actually scares the **** out of me. I always say "Omg, the iPhone just stopped working!" because of the screen not even telling you if you're close to finish.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Guess it would be good for the easily amused.

11. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Weird my iPhone 4s starts it itself up in like 30 seconds
    But my "new" iPad (3rd gen) starts up in like 5 seconds. An it does have a newer startup image also

Dumb suggestion op
    My recommendation is jail breaking if u want this tweak. I have one where three sperms swims randomly on to screen and one goes into the apple and turns it into the cydia icon����

12. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought the iPhone because i wanted the iOS that Apple made, i'm NEVER going to jailbreak something.

It's not a dumb suggestion btw, it's better then a boring black background and a white applelogo.

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Better?

In what way is it better?

Surely this can only be subjective.

It's something you see maybe 3 or 4 times a year so this isn't much of an issue.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The reality is that the iPad startup is slow enough as it is. Apple should focus on making it boot from cold faster instead of adding more bloat that would make it even slower.

Looking at Windows Phone startup you have to think that when Windows 8 tablets arrive they will be booting much faster than iPad:

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes, but how often do you turn an iPad off?

It wakes from sleep instantly, and that's much more important.

16. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it looks "nicer".

17. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Rarely do I ever need to reboot, if ever. Standby battery use is very very minimal, and with magnetic on/off there's really no reason to shut off or reboot your ipad.

What I would like to see is the option to allow for multiple user accounts, as some people do share their ipad amongst family and kids. But I guess the iPad is meant for single user only and thus not really any security implementation was necessary aside from login password.

18. urkel, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

The reason I love Apple is because they choose NOT to clutter design with fluff.

19. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've only ever turned off/rebooted my iPad a handful of times in the year I've owned it - it seems like anything really interesting would be wasted.

20. Carouser macrumors 65816

The startup screen shouldn't be something you want to see. It should be as negligible as possible and ultimately nonexistent. Furthermore, the current start up screen is distinctive and won't be mistaken for anything else.

Tell us what you think it should be instead.

I'm picturing somebody watching some demoscene or music equalizer rip-off as the start up screen (so exciting, isn't it, with all the flashy colours?). This person is getting a charge out of it and saying 'WOW' or 'yay, I'm not bored'. This person I'm picturing is a terrifying idiot.

21. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Would be a waste, considering how rarely I turn the device off.

22. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

The only time I do is after a charge. I let my iPad charge, while in airplane mode, to 100% then power it down and back on again. I do the same with my iPhone.

The few times I didn't the percentage meter would drain down faster than normal. One time it got down to 91% until I realized I forgot to power down before using. When it booted up again the battery percentage showed 96%.

23. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I have only seen my startup screen maybe twice since I bought it. It never needs to be reset and it never dies because the battery life is ridiculous.

24. b.c. macrumors 6502

+1

...there's a reason why there's millions of how-to tips on the internet on getting RID of annoying startup screens for various other computer OSes, devices, and software...