Should the MacBook forum be merged with MacBook Pro forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Hellhammer, Aug 10, 2011.

?

Should the MacBook forum be merged with MacBook Pro forum?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Now that Apple has discontinued the white MacBook (and thus the regular MacBook with no other monikers), do people think that the MacBook forum should be merged with the MacBook Pro forum? Lately, there hasn't been that much traffic in there and some, if not most, of the questions would be fine either in OS X or Mac Basics forum as well.

Arguments for the merge:

• MacBook is no longer available (for other than education), hence there will be less traffic in MacBook forum (no more "should I buy MacBook or MBP" threads for instance)
    • For the past few years, MacBook's hardware has been very similar to 13" MacBook Pro's, thus most questions and answers concerning the 13" MBP apply to MacBook as well
    • Some people (mainly newbies) post about MacBook on MBP forum and about MBP on MacBook forum (and some even on Mac Pro forum :eek:) anyway, so this would make it easier for people to post in the right place

Arguments against the merge:

• MacBooks sold before late 2008 have different hardware than newer MacBook or the MBPs at that time
    • MacBook Pro forum might get too full of threads, making it hard to read

Any other arguments?

Note: This is a personal thread by me, not an official thread posted on behalf of all the moderators and administrators. As far as I know, we haven't even had any discussion of this in the backstage but I would like to hear your thoughts anyway.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd say for now, keep it as is. There are still many who use older versions of MacBooks, and who have MacBook-only problems.

Later (Maybe in a year), merge the MacBook section with the MBP section. That way, those who are still using legacy devices can still post their questions. But obviously, there won't be many of them.

3. 184550 Guest

I would say 'No' at the present time.

As fireshot91 noted, there are still many users who have and will continue to use MacBooks for the foreseeable future and who will have MacBook centric problems. Given the MacBook was only recently discontinued, I think it would be jumping the gun to enact changes.

I would think that the separate forum for MacBooks could easily continue to exist on its own, in its present state, for the next one to two years before any changes should or could be thought of.

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I think it don't think it should be differentiated by "Pro" or not "Pro." It should be "Unibody" and "non-Unibody."

My unibody MB is identical the unibody MBPs.

Edit: Or at least include unibody MBs in the MBP thread title.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I feel that there maybe should be a 'Discontinued Products' forum.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Merge in the future, but keep some threads alive in the MBP section.

7. cps-sound macrumors newbie

if apple drops the mbp (this is supposed to be funny)

8. winston1236 macrumors 68000

let the macbook die in peace for now, after a year or so go ahead and move it over since the number of users will be decreasing

9. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

I second roadbloc, having a discontinued forum would be easier for everyone to gather information on discontinued products. Almost like the Intel equivalent of the PowerPC forum.