Should we all get a 6 month bump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g8orballboy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Not that i would expect to get an iphone 4 on launch with a 2/20/11 upgrade date, but i also wouldn't expect people with a 12/*/10 upgrade date to be able to either. So if someone in December can get the phone in June, wouldn't it only be fair that someone in Feburary can get the phone in August? So because i'm only 2 months after the cutoff... i have to wait an additional 8 months??? I wouldn't mind upgrading a couple months after launch. Once again, i know how subsidies work and I'm not saying i deserve an upgrade or that i'm having entitilement issues... its just only fair that a similar offer should be given to all customers. I pay 120+ a month for 2 iphones on a family plan and i know people paying 70 for a single phone that were upgrade elegable. It would be nice if at least one of the two phones under my contract could be bumped... at least by a little. If I have to wait until Feb, i'm just going to wait for iphone 4S or iphone 5 or whatever they're going to call it...... that or switch carriers ;)

2. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I'm still trying to figure out why I don't get an upgrade. ATT usually lets you upgrade to a new phone every year. I should be eligible some time this month, but ATT is showing that I have to wait until 2/20/2011. We pay over $200 a month. I just don't get it. I might as well switch to Sprint and save OVER $50 a month and get WAYYYYY Better features. I really want the new iPhone, but I don't think I will get it this time unless I get it for the $200-$300 price.

3. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Its actually $399 and $499 mid contract. :-/

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I'm pretty sure I read that after 1 year (Half way through) you could upgrade and get the Subsidy price if you renew for another two years.

If not oh well. I will definitely miss my iPhone, but I WILL NOT MISS ATT.

5. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately no, thats the offer they're giving to people who have a high enough bill where there eligibility ended in sometime in 2010, bumping them up to be able to get the fully subsidized phones for 199 or 299, but the people who just missed that cutoff will have to spend the half subsidized price of 399 or 499.... which is at least better than the full price of 599 or 699... or whatever it is.

6. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I agree. Yes, I too understand that I signed a contract, and for that, I'm not gonna whine and bitch about it. But at the end of the day, it really isn't fair that we're waiting till February, while other people get it in a couple weeks, based solely on the fact out original dates are about 7 weeks apart.

Meh; I really, really wish AT&T would have us sign two-year contracts, but offer one-year upgrades toward the new iPhones. It's pretty obvious anyone buying one of these on day one is an early adopter, who would do it again in a second given the chance.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

so if they stretch it to 8 months, then where does it stop. the person with 10 months out will be whining why can't they get a break. there always has to be a stopping point.

8. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Yes, but an exception should be made at least for those who bought 3Gs devices on launch day.

I have bought every iPhone on launch day and my date is showing february of 2011. That is kind of ridiculous.

9. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying to keep stretching it... if the "stopping point" is 6 months... thats FINE! just apply that 6 months to EVERYONE!!!! If a large group of people get bumped up 6 months to June.... we all should be bumped up 6 months earlier as well, even if that is to August.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

It was announced that ALL current iPhone users can upgrade 6 months early. So if you have to wait two months to get it, you can still upgrade. If you can't upgrade until February normally, you will be able to upgrade in August.

11. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

I wish that were the case, but according to engadget:

11:41AM "AT&T is going to make an incredibly generous upgrade offer. If your contract expires at any time in 2010, you can upgrade to the iPhone 4. You can get it up to six months early."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/steve-jobs-live-from-wwdc-2010

Meaning that the 6 month bump ONLY works for people who's contract expired by December... so those of us who were in Jan or Feb are up a creek! I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to get one in August...i couldn't afford one this month anyhow thanks to my ipad :p

12. mshoo1 macrumors newbie

I've seen no indication yet that AT&T is going to offer the iPhone 4 at $399/$499 for mid-contract folks like they did for the 3GS. So far, it looks like you either qualify for a full subsidy ($199/$299) or you pay the no-commitment price of $599/$699. I hope I'm wrong on this. We have a family plan and one of our new phones will be fully subsidized, but it looks like we will get stuck paying full freight on the other phone.

When I looked at my online account this morning. It said that one of our lines was eligible for the full subsidy, whereas on the other line it said "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 2/20/2011."

13. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

If thats the case, there's no way in heck i'd even consider getting the phone until next year's model.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. Im in the same boat.
    Mine is due up February 2011 and got the idea that they'll let me upgrade in August.
    So thats not the case?
    We either gotta wait till February or pay $200 extra?

15. dmx macrumors 6502a

Bought my iPhone 3GS in Aug 2009.... not eligible for full upgrade until Jan 2011. Also not eligible for any partial discounts either.

16. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Full statement here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/atandt-upgrade-to-iphone-4-up-to-six-months-early/

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Oh...you meant "bump". I was confused if it's bomb, bump or pump...

18. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

AT&T have to have a cut off somewhere. They bumped everyone up that has 6 months left (until the end of December).

If they say, well if December can get it, why not January... OK, we allow January. If you allow January, why not February? Then you'll be where everyone gets an upgrade.

I think a 6 month bump is generous.

19. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Did you not read my last post??? I'm not talking about extending it to 7 8 or 9 months out... 6 months is fine... but everyone after 6 months should get an equal bump or 6 months... not all the way to launch day... so January can get it in July, Feb in August, March in September... how is it fair that because of a 2 month gap... i have to wait an extra 8 months! ? !

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I enjoy reading the "This is ******** they won't let me upgrade sooner" threads. The sense of entitlement in the country is mind numbing.

21. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

And let me guess... You either

a) made the cut or
    b) don't want the phone

because these seem to be the only people preaching the "entitlement" crap

22. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I think so. I'm really pissed off by this AT&T upgrade mess. I upgraded from iPhone 2G to 3G on 1/11/09, upgraded to 3G S on launch, and was on my own plan (under Father's name for 24% FAN discount) until November 2009, when my Father, Mother, and brother all got 3G S's after porting over from Sprint. My Father then became the 'primary' on the account, and he is eligible for an upgrade today (bumped up from 11/21/10), where I am still slated for 2/21/11.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fair? Yeah there's something about living out your contract or the majority of it (as AT&T would see it) as being totally unfair.

Actually, I've been where many people are before and quite frankly it is entitlement crap. It's failure to fully understand what a 2-year contract means. Now that I am not in that boat I feel exactly the same way, entitlement crap and all. It seems to me that people just feel they should be able to upgrade the second a new version of their phone is released. It was not until the iPhone that people really started believing they needed a new one every year. If you fully believe this then a) take your chances at the upgrade date bump or b) buy it outright sans contract.

24. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

How is me being bumped to August from Feb any less fair than someone in December being bumped to June? I'm not saying I deserve a bump.... I just don't see how I deserve less of a bump than those in December. Its just about equality... Not entitlement.

So group a) then? Thanks for clearing it up! :)

25. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I bought a 3g phone in april of 2009 where does that leave me?