Should we be concerend over a 1GB RAM iPhone 6?

Luuthian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
I'm curious because if they were already having memory problems with the 5S, why wouldn't they run into similar problems with higher res, 64-bit apps?

Makes a little worried that the experience may suffer somewhat...

Anyone have any better thoughts on this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So far, we don't really know how much memory iPhone 6 will have, so nothing to really be concerned with, at least not yet.

That said, hopefully it will have more than 1 GB.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
Let's wait and see before complaining
Sorry, not complaining. Just worried. Ultimately it's the user experience that matters. Just worried that if the 1GB turns out to be true it'll hamper the overall ability of the phone.

Guess I was just wondering if I was the only one disappointed when they heard that rumor.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Sorry, not complaining. Just worried. Ultimately it's the user experience that matters. Just worried that if the 1GB turns out to be true it'll hamper the overall ability of the phone.

Guess I was just wondering if I was the only one disappointed when they heard that rumor.
iOS doesn't need 1GB+ RAM yet. The next devices may have more memory but it's not necessary for a great experience.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
iOS doesn't need 1GB+ RAM yet. The next devices may have more memory but it's not necessary for a great experience.
Completely agree. My iPhone 5S free RAM hardly ever drops below 200MB. Having an extra GB wouldn't make a difference. So a few more apps can be frozen in the background without restarting, but the performance of the device itself wouldn't improve with more RAM.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Am I the only one with paging issues in Safari then with multiple tabs opened?
I've had a 5s, 5 and 5c and never had any problems with multiple tabs. I hope the next iphone will have more than 1gb of ram but we might not even need it if they bring more optimizations like they did with os x

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yes, but the iPhone 6 will launch with iOS8 and updated hardware. IMO, it really should have 2GB. If it launches with 1GB then the tech press will be all over it and we may get a mid cycle update ala ipad3/4.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

No. Goto the iPad section. There are dozens of threads about this. It was one of the reasons I returned my iPad Air. They wanted to replace it until I demonstrated the issue on the display models.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The only real benefit anymore to not have more RAM is Apple saving money on production cost. Obviously that's not a benefit too us.

Anymore battery usage is negligible between 1-2gb ram. And depending on how the phone is used 2gb can be more battery efficient. It uses less battery to keep an app suspended then it does to reload it.

Data usage. If an app can stay suspended it won't need to reload. So when you go back to Facebook, Safari, or whatever and it reloads you are using the data you are paying for unnecessarily.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
It's not necessarily just specs it is more of the whole cohesive experience.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
I've had a 5s, 5 and 5c and never had any problems with multiple tabs. I hope the next iphone will have more than 1gb of ram but we might not even need it if they bring more optimizations like they did with os x

Just because you've never had any problems, it doesn't mean nobody else hasn't.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
on the contrary, web browsing is the main thing I use my phone for, I've never had "ram" issues but I don't look for trouble, having 8 open tabs is dumb

I sometimes wish I could have less then 8 tabs open. Unfortunately for work I can be switching between 10-15 tabs on my Mac and I sync them to my iPad and iPhone via iCloud.

So like the person you quoted said just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean others don't.

Way back when I could have done with less tabs but that's when I used my phone as a toy (leisure, social media, etc) now I use it as a tool.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
on the contrary, web browsing is the main thing I use my phone for, I've never had "ram" issues but I don't look for trouble, having 8 open tabs is dumb
As opposed to thinking that the way one uses a piece of software is somehow more valid or better than the others who use it the way it fits hem (as software has been designed to do).

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Don't worry apple wouldn't let are experience suffer no matter what. I'm was accualy thinking about iPhones ram morning. I was thinking about how the 4/4s have 512mb of ram and how the 5/5s have a gig. So if apple continues this little pattern they will be upgrading the ram this year for 6. Then I was thinking how awesome it would be if the triple the ram to 3gigs. Anyway I'm putting my guess in that the next iPhone will have 2 gigs. I pretty sure it will

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
The 64 bit is still unstable on some apps.
On another issue, i get the blue screen of death when running gba4ios and not on the 5. I am assuming the new 64bit has something to do with it

Also if they are gonna take full advantage of the 64bit they will need to up the ram

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't worry apple wouldn't let are experience suffer no matter what. I'm was accualy thinking about iPhones ram morning. I was thinking about how the 4/4s have 512mb of ram and how the 5/5s have a gig. So if apple continues this little pattern they will be upgrading the ram this year for 6. Then I was thinking how awesome it would be if the triple the ram to 3gigs. Anyway I'm putting my guess in that the next iPhone will have 2 gigs. I pretty sure it will
Like they did with iOS 7.0, for example?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm curious because if they were already having memory problems with the 5S, why wouldn't they run into similar problems with higher res, 64-bit apps?

We have to wait .... and hope for the best

----------

I strongly recommend Mercury Browser: much better than Safari in multiple tabs visualization.

----------

Ios 8 better NOT need more ram...I'll be pissed as I just got an iPad Air and 5s.
It's not the iOS that needs more ram.
After a fresh boot, iOS needs about 400 Mb of ram, that is significantly less than ram needed by KitKat, for example.
But new and better apps , and more intensive use (like multitasking) requires more ram , especially with the larger footprint of 64-bit apps.
So I think it's time to upgrade to 2 Gb of ram in iDevices ...

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth

I'm sure Apple will jump to 2GB --- and I'm also sure apple is aware of the "Low Memory" issues the the current devices with 1GB are having...esp the iPhone 5S/iPad Air and Retina Mini....the 64Bit gives us more power to run the apps but is crippled due to limited RAM.

My Diagnostics & Usage Data logs are full of "Low Memory"