Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I sometimes wish I could have less then 8 tabs open. Unfortunately for work I can be switching between 10-15 tabs on my Mac and I sync them to my iPad and iPhone via iCloud.

So like the person you quoted said just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean others don't.

Way back when I could have done with less tabs but that's when I used my phone as a toy (leisure, social media, etc) now I use it as a tool.

For Apple it's not a problem, it's your problem, deal with it. I'm sure if apple investigated, they would see only 5% of iphone users have ram problems. Hell, it's probably even lower than that hahaha

----------

As opposed to thinking that the way one uses a piece of software is somehow more valid or better than the others who use it the way it fits hem (as software has been designed to do).

Haha it's not just me, it's about 95% of iphone users. If RAM was an issue, Apple would've added more with the 5s, they didn't because it's not needed. I won't even be surprised if they don't add more with the next iphone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For Apple it's not a problem, it's your problem, deal with it. I'm sure if apple investigated, they would see only 5% of iphone users have ram problems. Hell, it's probably even lower than that hahaha

Yeah it's my problem. :rolleyes:

That's why *I* spent so much time addressing low memory issues when *I* released iOS 7.1. You're welcome btw.

Sarcasm aside one merely needs to goto diag, and scroll to Low Memory to see it's an issue.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

That's why *I* spent so much time addressing low memory issues when *I* released iOS 7.1. You're welcome btw.

Sarcasm aside one merely needs to goto diag, and scroll to Low Memory to see it's an issue.

No such thing on my phone ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Should we be concerend over a 1GB RAM iPhone 6?

No such thing on my phone ;)

Not that I don't believe you but post a screen shot. Even my 4S has one, not uncommon. However my iPad Air had dozens upon dozens prior to its return...

6ymamatu.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There you go

Thats been sync'd with iTunes. If its not impossible for you try to go a week or so without syncing. They will be there. The reason I say that is there isn't a single 3rd party app crash (unheard of) and NO user data (impossible)...

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I sold my 5s, this is my iPhone 5, been using it at least since april 1st as we can see, I never experience crashes, seriously, I'm not lying, I can't remember the last time safari or another app crashed. And I only have a gaming pc and this iPhone so I use my iphone all the time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I sold my 5s, this is my iPhone 5, been using it at least since april 1st as we can see, I never experience crashes, seriously, I'm not lying, I can't remember the last time safari or another app crashed. And I only have a gaming pc and this iPhone so I use my iphone all the time.

Kind of made this a moot point. I thought we were talking the next iPhone ie 64 bit w/ 1-2gb of RAM.

That's why I was talking about my old iPad Air and referring to my 4S as "even my 4S".

I've found 32 bit iOS device to be very stable albeit I have owned a newer 64 bit device on 7.1.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Kind of made this a moot point. I thought we were talking the next iPhone ie 64 bit w/ 1-2gb of RAM.

That's why I was talking about my old iPad Air and referring to my 4S as "even my 4S".

I've found 32 bit iOS device to be very stable albeit I have owned a newer 64 bit device on 7.1.

ohhh I see, well, I didn't have my 5s for more than 2 weeks but I don't think I experienced any crashes.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Ios 8 better NOT need more ram...I'll be pissed as I just got an iPad Air and 5s.

It's your right to be pissed but it would e pretty silly to be as thats just how technology is. The moment something is released it's already outdated as the next thing is already being planned for launch and the one after that is in R&D. The world aintgonna stop innovating because you only hust bought a near year old device.

That said you should be fine for most of the UI stuff. Id imagine some hardware features probably camera you eill miss out on due to hardware limitation. However 7.1 runs fine even on my iP4 and sisters iP4S and their hardware is far worse than ehat you are using and modt are expecting iOS 8 to mainly be UI refinement anyway.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Yes. I get reloads on Safari all the time because of the lack of RAM. I manage my apps too but web pages are becoming larger and more intensive by the day and as mobile devices begin to increase in power and efficiency they will also need more RAM to cope with this.

1 GB is paltry especially since the Galaxy has had 2 GB since the 3rd generation. But it's even worse on the iPad which is pushing insane pixels and an overpowered CPU.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Anyone who's concerned about the hypothetical amount of RAM on a phone that may not even be released for another 5 or 6 months must not have any real problems or worries in their life and should consider themselves quite lucky.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Anyone who's concerned about the hypothetical amount of RAM on a phone that may not even be released for another 5 or 6 months must not have any real problems or worries in their life and should consider themselves quite lucky.

I'm more curious about what type of discussions you thought you would have found on a forum dedicated to Apple products....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yes. I get reloads on Safari all the time because of the lack of RAM. I manage my apps too but web pages are becoming larger and more intensive by the day and as mobile devices begin to increase in power and efficiency they will also need more RAM to cope with this.

1 GB is paltry especially since the Galaxy has had 2 GB since the 3rd generation. But it's even worse on the iPad which is pushing insane pixels and an overpowered CPU.

Galaxy has 2 Gb and a bloated os that eats up most of them ....
Btw I agree with you that next generation iDevices should have at least 2 Gb of ram.

----------

iOS 7.1 changed my user experience with 64-bit iDevices for sure, in a better way.
But it's time for a memory upgrade on Apple part.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

On my iPad Air in the last 20 days of continuous usage , I had ONE and I say again ONE LowMemory log error.
Several apps crashed (especially OneSafe and Real Racing 3, but I don't know why since those apps are running without problems every day), but the Low Memory issue seems to be solved with iOS 7.1 (with the previous versions I had 3-4 LowMemory logs per week).

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm more curious about what type of discussions you thought you would have found on a forum dedicated to Apple products....

There's plenty of worthwhile discussion on this forum, but I can never understand why people are always so concerned about the next product so far ahead of its release. All this obsession and worry, but 2 months after people get their iPhone 6 they'll be concerned about the specs of the 6s for the next 10 months.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
On my iPad Air in the last 20 days of continuous usage , I had ONE and I say again ONE LowMemory log error.

Several apps crashed (especially OneSafe and Real Racing 3, but I don't know why since those apps are running without problems every day), but the Low Memory issue seems to be solved with iOS 7.1 (with the previous versions I had 3-4 LowMemory logs per week).

The low memory problem related to crashing. App reloading and tab reloading still exist and would be improved with more memory. There is only so much software optimization can do.

Again this depend on how you use your device whether you experience issues. A lot of people don't notice and/or just don't care.

Personally I don't care what Apple does that's why I haven't said "the NEED to do xxxxx". I just think there would be a better user experience with more RAM.

----------

There's plenty of worthwhile discussion on this forum, but I can never understand why people are always so concerned about the next product so far ahead of its release. All this obsession and worry, but 2 months after people get their iPhone 6 they'll be concerned about the specs of the 6s for the next 10 months.

It's just how people are. I'm curious about Apples future products. Overall though it's a relatively small aspect of my life. That's why we discuss it here and don't take to the streets with torches and pitchforks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.