Should We iPad Users Be Jealous Of The iPod Touch??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iGuyiGuy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

So I went to the apple store today to pick up the new nano...

I had to check out the new touch, it's pretty nice with updated features..

I loooooove my iPad but when I saw the touch I got a bit jealous..

Anyone feel the same?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not at all.

IMHO, they are for different purposes.

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Im not jealous at all. Theyre different products for different purposes. I love my iPad as it is :)

4. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

No, I think they are devices for different uses.

I am thinking about buying one while in the US at the end of the month though.................. :)

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

the grass isn't actually greener on the other side, it's just a different shade.

6. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I never understand these, "iPod touch or iPad?" comparisons. To me, that's like asking, "Should I get a MacBook or an iPhone?"

7. epi117 macrumors 6502

screen was a tad to small, if i wanted a small screen i would use my 1phone.

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

The only thing I am jealous of is that I like the way the iPod Touch looks more than the iPhone4.

9. bdavis89 macrumors regular

iPad now a rip-off?!

Yes!! I was disappointed in the iPod touch, and decided not to get one seeing as I'm finally getting a smartphone in a few months. Because of this I was thinking about getting an iPad. Then I thought about it:

16gb iPad vs 32gb iPod touch

$200 more for:

Bigger screen
    Bigger battery
    1/2 the memory
    Same RAM
    Same base processor
    Less ppi screen
    No cameras (vs TWO for iPod, meaning no facetime either)

Is it just me or does the iPad seem overpriced now? You're essentially paying $200 more for a bigger, but lower quality screen and half the storage!! That being said, I'm still considering picking one up :eek:

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Not only do I feel jealous, but I feel like I am now an inferior human being.

11. prot0type macrumors regular

12. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Yes, it's just you. I'm perfectly happy with the iPad because I can use it in ways that I cannot an iPod Touch or iPhone. Plus I am glad I paid the "premium" for the 3G because I love having mobile internet - can't do that with an iPod Touch can you?

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

You are off on a few things.

Same class processor, but higher speed
    Higher resolution IPS display (while the iPhones display is marvelous, the Retnia and ppi is marketing hype, ipads display is high res, but larger. No the iPod touches screen is not IPS like the iPhone and iPad, I haven't seen a touch in the flesh).
    No cameras is a feature worth paying extra for.

Are you one of the 10 people that use Facetime ? Try holding the iPad steady at the proper angle to keep your mug centered in the camera.

Spend the extra $100 for the 32 gig iPad.

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Technically, the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, so no. Although, it is ageing and the new iPod Touch has more features...

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Hard to be jealous of a toy. There are literally a dozen or more practical things I can do with my iPad that no one in their right mind would try on an iPod Touch thanks to the size. And I've always been one who thinks the Touch is pretty lame anyway--an iPhone with no phone and no 3G. What's the point?

I'll stick with my iPad and my JB'd iPhone 4, thanks. The iPod Touch would be a waste of money.

17. JakRox macrumors member

Agreed. I used to sit with my iPhone on the couch and surf at night, running down my battery. My iPad has saved my iPhone battery. Tonight when I laid down, it still had 73% battery life.

The larger real estate of the iPad can't be questioned as being far superior. IMHO

18. aohus macrumors 68000

HA! I think Nintendo and Sony are VERY scared of the ipod touch. Its only going to dip into their Nintendo DS/PSP sales. Of course you wouldn't need an ipod touch as you already have the iP4, but there is a significant market at play for the ipod touch.

19. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Uh no, why would I be? I already have an iPhone 4 and an iPad. I have the best of both worlds: When I want iOS in my pocket, the iPhone is the best device for it (better IPS display, camera, memory, speaker, GPS, cell data, etc are all better than the iPod Touch). When I want iOS on nice big touchscreen with apps that are less restricted due to screen size, I have an iPad.

Why would I want an iPod Touch? All it offers over what I have is that it is really thin.

If what you are implying is that the iPad could have a better display and a front facing camera, then sure that seems possible in the future if Apple makes that product.

The simple fact is they haven't, and so there is no reason to feel like the iPad is anything less than a stellar device.

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Err, owners can keep their new Touches, with it's too-slim-a-profile (IMO), it's inferior stills camera, half the RAM and non-IPS display.
    I'm happy with my iPad and iPhone 4. :D
    If it were a case of me having a 2005 generic Nokia PAYG phone with either the new Touch or the iPad... I'd still take the iPad; as I'd feel hamstrung and would grow even
    More jealous of iPhone owners, carrying a Touch everywhere - as I'd need that 'everywhere' connectivity.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Not jealous. Want to get one in my next paycheck though, for Music and recording HD Video. Which would be uncomfortable on an iPad. Wouldn't mind editing it on the iPad though....

22. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't Nintendo and Sony be more scared of the iPhone? Everyone carries a phone already so it's just a burden to carry a second device just to play games.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone buys an iPod touch. Is it because they don't want a monthly bill? Voice plans are the same regardless of what phone you have and the data plan starts at $15. In 2010, who can stand not having Internet on the go just to save $15 a month?

23. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

There isn't anything to be jealous about it. If you are jealous, sell your iPad and get an iPod Touch? ..

24. samcraig macrumors P6

No. It's not overpriced. Perhaps it's the iPod that's overpriced. It's all perspective. But either way - they are different devices and have different uses. To compare pricing against the two isn't really "fair."

And to the OP

Seriously? Jealous? Pathetic.

25. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Do you need to sign a contract to buy an iPod Touch? When a device like this is bought for children aged 6-14, it's going to be better to make it something where a contract isn't required. If you have 2 kids, then 2x32GB iPod Touches is better than 1x16GB iPhone bought contract free.