ShouldI get a Kindle fire even though i own an iPad 2???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by austinlallen, Oct 2, 2011.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hello Everyone

I recently bought an iPad 2 and i have $500 to burn, so should i buy a kindle fire even though i already have an iPad 2??? If you own an iPad and want a kindle fire why, and if you want a kindle fire why?????

Thanks for replies

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It should be a simple decision. Does the Fire fill a need or want in your life that the iPad doesn't?

3. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

Not Really but the Kindle fire is cheap and it is an android tablet so that will be my min reason to get one

Also if i don't get a kindle fire ill either buy an iPhone 5, or build a custom pc

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

These tablet are all about "wants". If you want one then buy one. My experience with tablets from 5" to 10.1" is that I'm far more likely to actually take a 5" or 7" tablet out of the house, but the 9" and 10" tablets are just too big. You may be spending more time with your Fire than your iPad.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It is not a true Android tablet. You will not be able to access Googles marketplace, until a Dev cracks it and allows for sideloading. If you want a real Android tablet look to the Transformer. I don't think you're gonna get exactly what you think you will with the Fire.

6. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

I know its not a true android tablet but the price is just right and is smaller than the iPad 2, its actually worth it

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Sounds like you have already made up your mind to me. I just think you are oing to be disappointed and frustrated after the first 2 weeks. If you want a cheap 7" Android based tablet, look at the Iconia.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

$500 to burn? ... buy groceries ... you do not need a Kindle

9. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

The Kindle is very cheap I'm just wondering are anyone has an iPad and wanting a kindle fire also, Either a tablet or build a beast of a computer, i enjoy my iPad, but still would be nice to have a kindle fire

10. info macrumors member

info

Maybe wait for the next generation and use the $500 on something else. Especially if you've just purchased the iPad.

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I was considering a Fire but when trying to determine why I would use it instead of my iPad 2, I can't really find a reason. I have a very large media library in iTunes and stream video from Netflix so I cannot see using the Fire for video. I listen to my music library on my iPhone and have tons of apps, including a bunch of games already purchased through iTunes--all of which csn be used across the 7 iOS devices in the house so I'm not going to spend more money on games for the Kindle. I also use my iPad away from wifi access quite a bit so no 3G option is a problem. The only advantage for me would be using the Fire as an e-reader for those times i don't want to carry the iPad but in that case, either the base Kindle or Kindle Touch would be a much more useful option so I think I'm going to go that route instead.

I also considered getting my kids Kindle Fires to replace their aging iPod Touches but for all the previous mentioned reasons and having only 8 GB of memory, they are probably going to get new (albeit refurbished) iPods instead.

12. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Theres really not a whole lot of reason to have both imo. In fact, I'm gonna sell my iPad 2 and get a Kindle fire + groceries. Everyone keeps telling me that i'm gonna be disappointed with the Kindle, but honestly the iPad is overkill for me. I want the smaller form factor to watch YouTube videos, surf the internet, and respond to email (which is all that i've been doing with the iPad).

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat.

Only thing that is of an interest to me is the amazon prime streaming service. If that was on the ipad, wouldn't even think about the Kindle Fire.

14. JSalig macrumors 6502

Honestly, if I had 500 to spend on an android tablet, I'd go with one that isn't locked down to Amazon. For $100 more you can get a tablet with better specs and storage space without the limitations. Amazon prime instant videos are nice though. Of course, you lose Netflix, HBO go, etc. so it's a tradeoff in the streaming video department. You have an iPad so it may be moot, but who wants to carry around two tablets?

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

What do you think that you will use the fire for that you wouldn't use the iPad for? After thinking about it for a few days I realised that I didn't think that I would actually use it that often at all. It's just that at that price point it feels wrong not to buy it. I will be getting one of the new kindles as it would be nice to be able to read outside.

16. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Here's an even better idea. Donate the $500 to a food bank so somebody else has something to eat.

17. StoneSoup macrumors member

If anything, just get a kindle. At least it has e-ink technology. I heard it costs 79.99 now.

I don't see why you'd need a Kindle Fire.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Build a PC.

19. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Buy an E-ink Kindle for reading. No more eye-hurt!

20. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I would not bother with getting one if you have an iPad. The form factor is still too big for a normal sized pocket, so you are still going to be carrying it or need a bag. If that is the case, why go with something so limited? I would find something more worthwhile to spend $200 on.

21. urkel macrumors 68030

I hear the Kindle Fire has a better Screen for reading than the iPad since it has less glare but it's still glass. If the primary purpose is for reading then Id prefer a Kindle Touch. But for me, I'm getting a Fire to supplement my iPad because the iPad fulfills my home needs but it's too big to lug around so the Fire would be better (for me).

22. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I have one on order. I will see what the devs can do with it, and if I dont like it, great holiday gift.

I got rid of my $99 Touchpad, couldn't use it.

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have one on pre-order. I am stil trying to decide if I really need it as well. I may cancel and get an e-ink kindle. I can't decide.

The main reason I want it is that I use amazn daily, have prime, it's new, it's smaller, and the price is sooooo affordable.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to tell at this point.

Kindle fire has not shown me enough demo to make up my mind.

Does it run flash well? (Maybe or maybe not)
    Battery life is 8 hours. That's not bad, but not good either.

How will other 7 inch tablets respond to this kindle fire?

I am still looking at both window 7 tablet and Galaxy Tab 7.7 as options.

Kindle fire will sell well for sure. I just don't know if it's right for me.

25. Elyquin macrumors member

The Fire will catch on

What do most people really use their tablets for? I have a bunch of apps, large and small.

1. Internet and email
    2. Internet and email
    3. Internet and email
    4. Music and video
    5. Word processing (nothing intensive though)

The Kindle Fire will be the 2nd best selling tablet after the iPad.
    It is also smaller so women will be more prone to carry that around in their purses for all of the above and for calendar/to do/notes. Ya.. they all have smart phones, but a tablet is much easier to input and to read.

I am betting that I will use the Fire more for browsing than my current iPad 1.