Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nirajmind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
India, Kolkata
Hi Everybody,
I am an Indian, and I purchased iPhone 4 on 04/01/2011 by 599 USD. But it was locked with AT&T. I got news that Apple store is selling iPhone 4 unlocked by 599 USD. Shouldn't Apple consider about old customer about unlocking.

:confused:

Thanks,

Niraj

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
They are selling the unlocked iPhone 4 from $649.99 and $749.99 in the US store, not $599. AT&T does not unlock any iPhones under any circumstances.

Sorry.

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Hi Everybody,
I am an Indian, and I purchased iPhone 4 on 04/01/2011 by 599 USD. But it was locked with AT&T. I got news that Apple store is selling iPhone 4 unlocked by 599 USD. Shouldn't Apple consider about old customer about unlocking.

Thanks,

Niraj

Why should they? You knew when you bought it that it was locked.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Indeed it is. AT&T will under no circumstance unlock phones. Not even for the active military.

No, they unlock phones on extremely rare circumstances. Such as if you're deployed somewhere, and you can prove that you will be remaining there for the near future. They'll unlock it then.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
No, they unlock phones on extremely rare circumstances. Such as if you're deployed somewhere, and you can prove that you will be remaining there for the near future. They'll unlock it then.
AFAIK, while that may be true with other brands of phones, nobody has ever successfully gotten AT&T to unlock an iPhone.

Pgohlke

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Centerville, Ohio

Actually they unlock all phones except for the iPhone without question. I called them and got three phones unlocked then cancelled service a week later. You have to be an active member of their service for at least 90 days.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

They unlock most phones, but not the iPhone.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Hi Everybody,

Thanks,

Niraj

That's like asking: I bought a MacBook last year but a new one came out this year so I should get new one cus I am an old customer. You bought it when you bought it, if Apple decides to come up with an unlocked version the next day - thats not their problem. In fact, Apple is actually nice by giving such promotions on some things (like buy a mac and get lion free if within time limit) and so on.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
That's like asking: I bought a MacBook last year but a new one came out this year so I should get new one cus I am an old customer. You bought it when you bought it, if Apple decides to come up with an unlocked version the next day - thats not their problem. In fact, Apple is actually nice by giving such promotions on some things (like buy a mac and get lion free if within time limit) and so on.

That is one of the worst analogies ever. If he were asking for a new phone because hes a loyal customer then it would fit, otherwise he is simply asking to be able to use a device he owns on his choice of network. While ATT may legally be able to sell phones locked to only their carrier, I personally do not think it is right. Personal feelings aside, its still a crappy analogy. An unlocked phone is NOT a "new version", its simply a software switch that has been flipped.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That is one of the worst analogies ever. If he were asking for a new phone because hes a loyal customer then it would fit, otherwise he is simply asking to be able to use a device he owns on his choice of network. While ATT may legally be able to sell phones locked to only their carrier, I personally do not think it is right. Personal feelings aside, its still a crappy analogy. An unlocked phone is NOT a "new version", its simply a software switch that has been flipped.

I also agree that its not right that AT&T never unlocks any iphones.
But he knew what he was getting himself into getting a phone locked to AT&T. Apple doesnt owe him anything and wont do anything about it.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I also agree that its not right that AT&T never unlocks any iphones.
But he knew what he was getting himself into getting a phone locked to AT&T. Apple doesnt owe him anything and wont do anything about it.

I just fundamentally disagree, I believe they do owe it to him and anyone else that is off contract to unlock the phones regardless if someone agreed to it. The subscriber should no longer be required to use them if the phone subsidy has been paid off.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I just fundamentally disagree, I believe they do owe it to him and anyone else that is off contract to unlock the phones regardless if someone agreed to it. The subscriber should no longer be required to use them if the phone subsidy has been paid off.

I agree that they should unlock all phones after the contract is up or if phone was paid off in full. But in reality we know that's not going to happen unless the US government actually looks out for the consumer and puts an end to unfair practices like AT&T not unlocking any iphones for the past 4+ years.
And again like I said above the user knew what he was getting himself into so even though its not fair there's nothing that can be done.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
not sure where i stand on this especially since it appears the OP didnt even pay the same price as the unlocked ones are selling for
The OP paid the full "contract free" price back in April. This was before the $50 increase and the fact that Apple will now sell a carrier unlocked iPhone 4 in the US as of mid June.

The OP should have know that the phone they purchased was locked to AT&T when purchasing it, if not then yes, it is a sad issue but they still will not get Apple or AT&T to unlock their iPhone.

Perhaps they should consider the Grevy SIM option for now :eek:

Dave

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Apple doesn't care who you are after they have your cash.

Tough to believe considering they have the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry.

Aside from the obvious reports and facts you clearly don't follow, I've had returns without restocking fees 43 days after the fact. I've recently had a 27" Open box iMac from Best Buy that the HDD went out. Apple store was out of stock on the HDD's, since it was 5 to 7 days for a new drive, manager swapped me out for a new iMac of the same spec they had in the back.

So other than the facts and personal experience... yes your are correct!:)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Apple replaced my broken iPhone 13 months after I bought it even though they had no obligation to do so.

My story makes your story false.

True, but let's not forget that Apple tends to do kind gestures like that. However, they never unlock anybody's iPhone. (though, that really wasn't your original argument - but I'm just saying). They've also been very kind to me as well (similar story to bossxii)

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Hi Everybody,

Thanks,

Niraj

Unfortunately, your iPhone is locked to AT&T and there is nothing that Apple can or will do about it. :(

Yes they do.
Active military can get their phones unlocked through AT&T.

No, they cannot. AT&T does not unlock iPhones. Period.

I believe that they should give people the chance to pay the extra $50 difference to have the device unlocked. Although this is not likely to happen any time soon, for various bureaucratic reasons, I think it would make sense in theory.

nirajmind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
India, Kolkata
Thanks Folks

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind replies . I am glad to here this( not happy actually). Anyway I will continue my journey with apple, and try in future to get the phone unlocked. I heard that once apple introduced MobileMe for 100 USD then they made it free and they repaid the old customers. So I hope once Apple get rid off ATT they can share unlock key with all the old customers. Then we don't need to curse ATT or anybody else. Let's hope so for now.

Thanks,

Niraj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.