Shouldn't Apple find away to make the Cinema Display more affordable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PatriotInvasion, Jul 22, 2010.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I've been drawn to the 24" LED Cinema Display since it came out, but have such a tough time justifying the spend of $899 on a screen.

Surely the manufacturing cost of a 24" LED backlit display has come down in the past year and a half so I think Apple could sell so many more units if they just offered some sort of bundle package deal. For example, why not offer a $200 rebate on the purchase of an Apple display with a new Mac, similar to the iPod Touch promotion? Even at $699, it would still be tough to swallow, but some may just bite the bullet to take advantage of the offer.

I hope they do something like this when/if they release the rumored 27" Cinema Display, but I know it's unlikely. So what do you think --- would I just be better off buying a 27" iMac down the line than get nailed for one of these displays? (Note: I have the 15" MacBook Pro and it rarely leaves my house). All thoughts on the subject are welcomed:)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple doesn't change the prices if there is no update. It's overpriced but IF the rumored 27" comes, it'll likely drop down in price as 27" can't really be more than 1200$ as 27" iMac is 1449$ from refurb store. People still buy it, that's why Apple keeps selling them. It's nice profit for Apple. I wouldn't get one though

3. cube macrumors G5

They don't need to make them affordable. They need to make them competitive.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Write to apple.com/feedback

Apple's stance on accessory is that Apple does not want to compete against third party accessory makers.

However, Apple Cinema Display was ahead of its times when it was first introduced. Now it just hasn't been updated in years.

5. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Perhaps with regard to port connectivity, but I'd say the IPS LED Backlit screen is as good as it gets.

That said, I'd never hook some PC manufacturer's display up to my Mac. It would just suck all the coolness right out of it and my desk. Gross.

6. cube macrumors G5

And that precisely explains the prices.

/thread

7. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I guess you're right, but I think I'd just be better off with a 27" iMac for big screen viewing. Especially considering that i only have a MacBook Pro so I can use it in multiple rooms of my house, but I can pretty much just use the iPhone 4 for that now. We'll see.

8. cube macrumors G5

Welcome to Apple's desktop world. You have just been upsold.

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Ehhh...not really. The iMac is cheaper than the 15" MacBook Pro...

10. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I wouldn't mind the price so much if they had a pixel warranty like Dell's Ultrasharps. I'm waiting for my second replacement 24" LED because of black spots on the backlight. I've tried twice before this attempt to get this monitor, because I really, really want it, but I'm convinced that I'm cursed.

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That would be a good warranty. However Dell's warranty is for bright pixels and not dead or dark pixels.

12. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

You could always get the CinemaView 24" Display, which basically mimics the design of Apple's displays. You're not getting the IPS LED Backlit screen, but it's still $500 less.

13. mangrove macrumors 6502

OK, so it's not an Apple, but the new HP ZR30w is terrific and has IPS. Comes with a 3 year warranty extendable to 5 years for $159. and all cables including dual-link DVI cable. Sold through Small Business Section, not Consumer end.

14. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Appreciate the honest suggestion. But it's Apple or nothing. The Cinema Display is just a "nice to have" addition to my 15" MacBook Pro. I was just making the point that a promotion to bundle it into the purchase of a new Mac would do Apple some good as they'd sell more displays and consumers could get somewhat of a deal.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

No. You're not paying for the display, you're paying for the style and Apple logo.

16. kwarren Guest

They don't need to lower the price because to Apple, enough are being sold. Key principle of selling anything: it's worth what people will pay.

Also, it's freakin' Apple, man. Nothing they make is comparably priced to the rest of the industry.

17. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

You can get a nice a** 1080p HDTV for less than the price of an apple display. I love Apple computers, but a monitor is a monitor, and resolution is resolution. This is one product Apple can't justify the price.

18. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"That said, I'd never hook some PC manufacturer's display up to my Mac. It would just suck all the coolness right out of it and my desk. Gross."

A "fanboy" comment if there ever was one.

The Dell 1905FP I've been using with my PowerMac for several years now boasts a picture quality that beats ANY Apple-labeled display I've EVER seen. A great screen.

And it cost a fraction of the cost of an Apple display.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

It's a common misconception on these boards. Apple is not really that interested in selling as many as possible, they are focussed on making as much profit as possible. Recent history suggests that they have been successful at this. ;)

Since there are enough people who will buy an Apple display, simply because it is made by Apple, they can pretty well pick their price. I say this as an owner of a 23" Cinema Display, but I bought it several years ago - and refurbished. It was just barely a good value then, I would absolutely look at competitive monitors today if I were shopping for one.

I am more concerned with what comes out of the computer, rather than what is stamped on it. And I use a Mac Pro because it helps me deliver the best product. But, to each their own.

Update: xi mezmerize ix said:
    "You can get a nice a** 1080p HDTV for less than the price of an apple display. I love Apple computers, but a monitor is a monitor, and resolution is resolution. This is one product Apple can't justify the price."

That is absolutely wrong, there are very important differences in the quality of monitor displays. If you are in the business of producing movies, photographs, etc. you need to get a good display. Apple Displays are quantifiably better than most consumer grade monitors sold. However, when you look at professional grade monitors they are not necessarily the best, or the the best value. But they are good monitors, and better than most.

20. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Pick up a refurbished one online from the Apple Store for $599. It's a great display.

21. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Have zero qualms with being labeled a fanboy. I am. I love what Apple makes and am not interested in the fragmented, plasticy and confusing product lines of the big PC manufacturers.

Also, you're a guy using an old PowerMac with a 6 year old Dell monitor, so I don't expect you to fully comprehend the obsession with shiny new Apple consumer electronics. You're obviously holding out on buying something new until it allows you to go to Mars or something.

I find it hard to believe that your 2004 Dell 1905FP looks better than a 24" LED Backlit 1920x1200 IPS display...but glad you're still enjoying it;)

22. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

How is what I said "absolutely wrong?" You basically said the same thing: You can the same if not better quality from other companies for a better price...

23. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Guys, you have to remember to only compare comparable hardware. Show me a 24" non-Apple display with IPS panel and LED backlighting for significantly cheaper than what Apple's charging. You can't.

Most of the competition's IPS displays are still using fluorescent backlighting which enables them to undercut Apple's display prices. The ones that do offer both IPS and LED are right in the same price range as Apple.

Let's keep the comparisons fair.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

That, I believe, answers your own question. Why would they price their displays for less, when many people are buying them at their current price?

No, what you said was that a monitor is a monitor. And they are not. Some monitors have very poor viewing angles, and changing your position in relation to the monitor by just a little bit changes the colour you see dramatically. Some monitors display a very small set of all the colours that other monitors are capable of displaying. Some monitors change the colours that they display dramatically as they age, sometimes in the course of a year.

Apple displays have great viewing angles, they display close to what other top-end monitors can display, and the colours on an Apple display are fairly consistent over time. What I said was that Apple displays are neither the best ones, there are several models that have a wider colour gamut, nor are they the cheapest ones - for the comparable quality. It's an awkward spot to be, for a company.

25. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Good to know.