Shouldn't Macs start integrating iTune controls into their keyboards?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

There's volume, but you can't switch tracks. Couldn't they dedicate a couple button to track changing? I think I asked about it a while back and the only solution was downloading 3rd party software to have controls on the top. I didn't use that for long. Yea, just a thought.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

You can use the arrow keys to do that, if iTunes is the selected application. I don't think its that necessary. For people that don't use iTunes/or aren't into music these dedicated buttons would serve no purpose.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I knew about the arrow keys. I'm talkin about when the app isn't selected. Who doesn't use iTunes? Who doesn't listen to music? If they don't I'd say they are the minority, but anyways the button doesn't need to be a seperate one. I guess I should've said, apple should let us assign one of the function buttons to be able to do this or sumthin.

4. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Sizzling Keys allows you to do exactly that. i use it and its great.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Whole iLife integration into keyboards could be quite good. Though some do find multimedia keys a bit of a tacky PC sort of thing. It also goes against the Apple minimalist philosophy.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't want my keyboard cluttered with dedicated keys like that.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

new apple accessory: The Apple iLife Media Keyboard.

would be nice for those who would like it.

8. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

there would be to many keys, that if people who didnt use itunes would find pointless, plus you can customize the keyboard in itunes

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

If your software requires dedicated keys for ease of use, then you don't have a very good program. I'm looking at my iBook keyboard now and I'm wondering where they would even fit. A few random keys off to the side breaking the nice rectangle they have here?

10. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Thanks for that! Installed it straight away :)

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use sizzlingkeys for the simple functions such as next track etc.

I also use OneKey to do more complicated functions such as move song to a playlist called favorites/rubbish, or take current song playing and play the album it comes from.

Makes use of, the otherwise useless, F1-F8.

12. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

not everyone plays itunes music all the time, so for many people, it would be annoying just to satisfy the few music heads.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I wish I would have known about sizzlingkeys before I bought Synergy. Oh well.

14. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Sweet thanks a bunch

15. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

If you have an intel mac with front row, then you can just use the remote to change the track.

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I like the simplicity of the apple keyboard. I hate the microsoft and whatever else keyboard with 5000 keys like music, web, mail, flush toilet...etc.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

seems very UnApple.....why put keys on the keyboard that are only used in certain programs? I think the Speaker keys are enough, anything else one could open dashboard, or click on iTunes

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would like them to added it. Just it does need to be tied to iTunes. One could change how the keys are program or what they are tied 2.

I like having Play/pause forward/back and volume on the keyboard just allow me to tie it to any program. They do not have to be very big just something I could pause or mute my computer on command.

19. adom macrumors 6502

use your apple romote then! place it next to your keyboard and your all sorted! :D

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see that means more junk around my computer. I like it to be on my keyboard.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But wouldn't adding these keys to the keyboard mean more junk on your keyboard, which turns into more junk around your computer:p

22. 66217 Guest

Maybe in desktop keyboards it could be more "acceptable", but as a second option.

But in laptops!! I hate how those HP look with a thousand of buttons all around the keyboard, and the worst is that they highlight them with an ugly blue light. And what amazes me the most is how many of my friends find this "cool and stylish".

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only thing stopping me from buying an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard is the lack of iTunes controls. Although I suppose I could use the remote :\

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I just want 5 little buttons not all the crap HP adds. the 6 buttons are Pause/play, Next, back, Volume up, volume down, and mute. Those are really the only buttons I want extra and they could easily be added to a laptop and not junk it up.

25. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

How about the mute key on your keyboard ? next to the volume ones

And... mistake ?