Shouldn't you have to enter your password to power off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonic 1992, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Sonic 1992 macrumors newbie

Shouldn't you have to enter your password to power off your iPhone & iPad etc? Otherwise, it defeats Find my iPhone/iPad etc?

Seems like this would be a good idea.

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

And when the battery dies and it turns off anyway...? Lol

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That gives owner a window (x hour) to initiate search, and send a wipe command. I agree a shutdown pwd makes sense.

you lol too soon.

4. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Eject sim card or turn on airplane mode and no point from this feature? Because for find my iPhone internet connection it is a must ^^

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's moot anyway as one can easily put the phone in airplane mode from the lock screen (via Control Center). They really need to make the airplane mode fingerprint-activated even from the lock screen (the alternative is to turn off Control Center entirely). Perhaps Apple will improve on that and advertise "Improved Security" in iOS 8.

But then again one can always take the SIM card out or put the phone in a shielded container.

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

verizon / disable control center on lock screen

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's always the shielded container.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Somehow the idea of needing a passcode/password to simply turn off an electronic device kind of flies against the base idea of being able to do that quickly for any electronic device if/when needed.

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

making touch ID ever more valuable

11. JayLenochiniMac, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I seriously doubt Apple cares about users being able to turn them off quickly to save their devices from accidential water damage (from a business perspective), but there's no reason to shut it off except to correct any erratic behavior or rebooting for other reasons.

What Apple can do for "Improved Security" in iOS 8:

1) Require passcode/fp (or rather Apple ID) for powering down so would-be thieves can't simply shut it down right away.
    2) Require passcode/fp for turning on Airplane Mode.
    3) Automatically connect to any open wifi if it detects that the SIM card is removed while on. This is a long shot but if it happens to be within wifi area Find My iPhone will work.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not really about Apple caring or not, but more or less an accepted feature of consumer electronics that people essentially expect and accept without thinking--the ability to turn something off finally and quickly whenever desired. It's like having a lock on a power plug for a TV that has to be first unlocked to pull the plug--not something that the manufacturers would add to their power cords really.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What are you making this big dissertation?

The phone is not a TV. We are talking about a security issue. We don't expect our TV to be stolen as vs a phone.

----------

Somebody always come back with, but "the thief can do this." Making the assumption a run-of-the-mill thief is an expert and executes a precise procedure so he can't get caught.

That's like saying why bother securing your home, any thief want to get in bad enough he will find a way to do it. :rolleyes:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm simply providing a possible explanation that comes from historical industry-wide approach to this kind of thing.

I'm not really arguing against having more protection/security, but just bringing up something that might be in the way (so to say) of some of the ideas.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think anyone would be against requiring passcode/fp before powering down for the sake of security. In fact, Apple can make this optional and it'd be no different from refusing to use Find my iPhone.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

That is until the forums and Apple customer support will start getting tons of people asking how they can shut down their phone not remembering their password. ;)

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

then how did they get INTO the phone in the first place?

logic, not even once.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No different from not remembering iCloud password on regular internet and you retrieve it using Forgot ID or Password.

----------

I think it should be separate from passcode/fingerprint, similar to requiring Apple ID to erase all settings and content, for those who don't wish to use passcode or Touch ID.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's assuming that both of those are tied together, and not that you can have one without the other. Perhaps someone would want to set up a power off password but not have one for accessing their phone (there are plenty of people who would likely fall into that category). Since they wouldn't power off the phone all that often (as most people don't) they can easily forget what they set up as the password for it. So, yeah, logic.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, so use Apple ID for that and it's no different from forgetting Apple ID (which they set up for Find my iPhone) and I don't see them inundated with requests from thieves with activation-locked iPhones.

If they do use Touch ID, it's not like it can forget your fingerprint.

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

what are you even talking about?

why would you want a separate password? that makes no sense. you're just confusing the user in the end and pretty much setting yourself up for flooded apple forums. thank god you don't work for apple.

again.. logic, not even once.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why? It's not like there's no precedent for that--think restrictions which does in fact have its own separate passcode. Wow, it actually already exists in the form that you think is a rather crazy one that would never exist.

Not only that, but why would it necessarily be related to the general phone lock password--if someone wants to just have a password for shutting off the phone but not one to always unlock the phone (again, as many people still don't use even today), then that creates a different situation than what you are describing as well.

Just because you imagine something that doesn't exist working one specific way, doesn't mean that's the only way that it could be implemented or the only valid way of going about it. Perhaps let's not overuse the whole "logic" thing to the point of making the concept meaningless?

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So use Apple ID instead so the security will work even if the user doesn't set up password/Touch ID.

24. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Yes

yes, this is something I have been stressing to people that if you needed the pass code to power down iPhones completely then when they are stolen they can still be tracked...or you shouldn't be able to power an iPhone down if it is locked...

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

That might be the simpler thing to implement actually.