should've sold cases and bands seperately

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sherbst, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Sherbst macrumors newbie

I'm really beginning to think that apple did screw up on this roll out........they should have sold the cases and bands separately instead of by configuration.......that way they could have fulfilled the first wave of case orders and possibly we would have been able to tell which bands would or wouldn't be available at launch......if I had known that there would be no leather loops available at launch, I would have ordered a different band initially that was going to be available.......that way people who stayed up until 3 or got up at 3 in the morning could at least have their case before some people who didn't order until now 3-4 days later already preparing to ship their whole order.......doesn't seem fair or right to me.....I ordered a 42 ss with blue leather loop and an extra black sport band.......accordingly I should have ordered the 42 ss with black sport band and an extra blue leather loop and I would be receiving it in the first wave......but because the way they chose to roll it out......i'm still waiting 4-6 weeks because apparently they have several configurations that weren't ever going to be available at launch

2. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I actually agree. They should have mailed out everyone the watch part. And let them pick the bands separate. With the idea of telling ppl upfront. These bands we have plenty, and these you need to wait for.

But they could have knocked a little off the price of the watch. And sold each piece as a separate item. At least ppl would have their watch. And simply be waiting on certain bands.

3. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i agree 100%.

Again, This is Angela's expertise, being the fashion expert of the team. I have no idea why they decided to have so many SKUs.

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

That would make things super easy for everyone, but I think Apple wants to sell a complete product. It would be like shipping a laptop w/o a battery.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is selling you a watch not parts to assemble a watch.

6. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

Then people would be mad they got the watch without bands.

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I disagree with some of you. You can't treat the watch like a computer. Treat it like a fashion item. When someone adds an outfit they are buying in a cart and clicks buy it now. The company sends them everything as they become available.

For example they may send you the shirt and pants. And tell you the belt and hat are going to take a little longer. But at least the person is happy they got something. Why would you make them wait another month for the entire outfit to be available? Same thing here. Send everyone the watch. So they have that at least. And let them wait another week or two for the bands. Rather than withhold the entire watch and say, June lol. Makes no sense.

----------

Not if you manufacture a but load of bands upfront. And be honest and tell ppl we have tons of these to order. While the others would be on back order.

It isn't that hard to figure how to do a better job rolling out the watch. If us crazies on a forum can think of better ideas. Apple certainly could have thought up of a more efficient way to roll everything out.

8. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

watches are sold traditionally with bands. Apple is attempting to slightly follow tradition.

9. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I ordered a specific Tag Heuer watch / band combo that I wanted that the jeweler didn't have. It took 3 months to come from Switzerland or wherever. That really stank. This is nothing.

10. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

11. TheLastOfConnor macrumors member

Because it's not what Apple wants to do with a fashion item. Selling watches and bands separately is how it's been done for the geeky, unpopular smartwatches from other companies. Selling them together is how it's done for luxury, traditional items.

Apple wants to curate and limit the customisation of the Apple Watch.

12. applepie2100 macrumors regular

This is kind of symptomatic of the way Apple has been going for a while though. A good example is slowly reducing the customisation options for the MacBook Pro, removal of discreet graphics options and the vastly overpriced BYO options.

I've been a fan of Apple for a long time but it's starting to feel more and more like it's Apple's way or no way at all and for me that's what will start to put even loyal customers off.

13. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I agree partially. Sell the full watch: band + watch but let us choose the band. I would like the black stainless with a different band.

I also think they could have had bands more readily available. I would think a band is easier to make then a watch.

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Honestly, the crowns should've been sold separately as well.

15. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I wanted a Space Black Gold Edition with pink Sport/Link band and an Modern Buckle... Shame on you, Apple. :mad:

16. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Apple would never do that! It would make the battery replaceable!

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Watches traditionally are sold in complete packages. A watch is useless without a band, particularly one that depends on being in contact with your skin in order to use some of its most prominent functions. If they had done what the original poster recommended, we'd have hundreds of posts from people complaining that their watch is scheduled to arrive Friday but their bands won't arrive until next Tuesday.

----------

But it's been that way since the Steve Jobs era. He believed in fewer choices. The Apple Watch is actually a step away from that direction because there are so many different configurations. It makes sense, though, since fashion is more personal.

18. AKRowdy, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015

AKRowdy macrumors regular

Hahaha right? The premise behind this thread is one of the dumber things I've seen.

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Exactly. This isn't rocket science. And now it looks like a lot of people will be getting their watches on Friday so perhaps people can quit whining already.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

No, they are complaining because some people they thought would get their watches after them are getting it at the same time or before.

21. Sherbst, Apr 22, 2015

Sherbst thread starter macrumors newbie

If apple didn't want to sell several bands to each consumer, they wouldn't make them available individually to buy!!!

As I stated initially if I had known that the configuration I ordered at launch......wasn't going to be available......I would've ordered the configuration that was available......it appears that apple is having a problem with certain bands and others are readily available......it would've only been fair to let people get the cases which they are selling anyway and then make the choice if they wanted to wait for the band that wasn't available or get one that is available......in my case if I would have known that leather loops weren't going to be available at launch.......I would've ordered that band separately and got it with the black sport band which I did order separately........It is idiots like you that don't know the first clue about doing business the best and most expeditious way possible!!!!

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well it's not Friday yet is it? Isn't it possible that order status could still update tonight or tomorrow?

23. KPOM macrumors G5

What you are proposing is more like selling someone a ring, shipping the diamond first, and then the base later.

But then you artificially skew demand to what is available in the store, while if you had let people order what they wanted to, you might have gotten a vastly different and more optimal sales mix. Apple will have a much better idea with the next release what people want.

If they had done what a bunch of "crazies" on a forum suggested, something else would have gotten screwed up, and the "crazies" would have suggested that Apple should have simply sold complete packages.

24. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

They could have also produced one watch type first and then rolled out more later (i.e. silver color sports and stainless steel watches followed by space grey later)

25. AKRowdy, Apr 22, 2015

AKRowdy macrumors regular

Apple would positively never sell something that purposefully didn't work right out of the box.

Use some commons sense! I get where this is coming from but it's asinine!