Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy318

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
No hairy arms here! :p
42mm Stainless Steel with Black Sport band

xUBWTUY.jpg

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Hm. I've been reading this forum every day since the launch and this thread is great. Congrats to all of you who got the watch yet.
But ... what concerns me is the size choice and the photographs you are posting.
There has been a lot of threads about 38mm vs 42mm. I personally thing that 42mm suits most men and even some women better but don't flame on me. It's your choice of course. 38mm - considering your wrist / arm thinness - suits teenagers, young people and women the most. But there is one thing. All of you people considering only your arm wrists in deciding which size you'll get. Try and post pictures in front of your mirror and consider your whole body.
I've seen only these three guys do that (I hope they don't mind If I use their photos):
Watches are mainly for reading time but they are fashion / personal device as well. And body type constitution should be considered here as well.
As you can see those first two guys have 38mm Sport versions. It looks good on them. I think they could have the 42mm but 38mm suits them well since their body constitution goes well with gentle look of the 38mm - let's say "sporty" type. On the other hand the third man wears the 38mm Sport as well. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION it doesn't suits him well. He's more muscular type and 42mm will positively suits him better. So I think you should consider your body type constitution as well, guys.
I've retouch one picture on the net. Take it as just a rough picture of what I've been talking about.
P.S.: For those who could be offended by my opinion or something. Find the meaning of the word forum.

I just read all this and all you need to do is try it on. It's not rocket science.

varsityhero

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2013
Another shot of my 38mm. My wrist is about 175mm. I wasn't going for the "big smart watch" look. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 305

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I'm curious - without looking at any of my prior posts - can anyone guess which watch size this is from the just the pic? For the record my wrist size is 175mm.

Would be interesting to see how people perceive it with all this sizing talk going on.

I would say its 38mm

----------

Another shot of my 38mm. My wrist is about 175mm. I wasn't going for the "big smart watch" look. What do you guys think?

As the 42mm doesnt look more like a smartwatch in real life i would say the 42mm would have been the better choice for you.

----------

Hm. I've been reading this forum every day since the launch and this thread is great. Congrats to all of you who got the watch yet.
But ... what concerns me is the size choice and the photographs you are posting.
There has been a lot of threads about 38mm vs 42mm. I personally thing that 42mm suits most men and even some women better but don't flame on me. It's your choice of course. 38mm - considering your wrist / arm thinness - suits teenagers, young people and women the most. But there is one thing. All of you people considering only your arm wrists in deciding which size you'll get. Try and post pictures in front of your mirror and consider your whole body.
I've seen only these three guys do that (I hope they don't mind If I use their photos):
Watches are mainly for reading time but they are fashion / personal device as well. And body type constitution should be considered here as well.
As you can see those first two guys have 38mm Sport versions. It looks good on them. I think they could have the 42mm but 38mm suits them well since their body constitution goes well with gentle look of the 38mm - let's say "sporty" type. On the other hand the third man wears the 38mm Sport as well. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION it doesn't suits him well. He's more muscular type and 42mm will positively suits him better. So I think you should consider your body type constitution as well, guys.
I've retouch one picture on the net. Take it as just a rough picture of what I've been talking about.
P.S.: For those who could be offended by my opinion or something. Find the meaning of the word forum.

The third one is the more muscular one? Really?
I would say he is a vers skinny one in too big clothes.
The first one (you?) looks a bit overweight and should go with 42mm for sure.
The second one is more muscular and should get the 42mm too. Last one can go with both but I would recomend him the 42mm too.
As the 38mm is really tiny I would advice every men with 165mm and more to go with 42mm.
Only men with less than 165mm can think about the 38mm.
With 150mm I could wear the 42mm too and it maybe would be a little bit too big, but looks really ok in real life.
If you are a tall man with big hands the 38mm looks a bit wrong even on small wrists.

grenhall

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
I would say its 38mm

----------

As the 42mm doesnt look more like a smartwatch in real life i would say the 42mm would have been the better choice for you.

----------

The second one is more muscular and should get the 42mm too. Last one can go with both but I would recomend him the 42mm too.
As the 38mm is really tiny I would advice every men with 165mm and more to go with 42mm.
With 150mm I could wear the 42mm too and it maybe would be a little bit too big, but looks really ok in real life.
If you are a tall man with big hands the 38mm looks a bit wrong even on small wrists.

I have 195mm wrists, this is the Apple Watch Sport 42mm white sport band.

This is a shot in the bathroom mirror. To better help others choose their size.

I'm curious - without looking at any of my prior posts - can anyone guess which watch size this is from the just the pic? For the record my wrist size is 175mm.

Would be interesting to see how people perceive it with all this sizing talk going on.

It's a 38mm.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Here some shots from today in the Apple Store and my Bathroom.
150mm Wrists 48-50mm with.
Bathroom photos with 38mm.
urBLmsK.jpg

O7Y5ubV.jpg

pduzmjk.jpg

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I would say its 38mm

----------

----------

He's definitely not muscular type. I have to said that because there are people out there that could be really offended. So, If you want to talk straight. First of all none of them is me.
The man in the yellow shirt is definitely muscular type, probably the endomorph. The guy with pink sweatshirt is mesomorph with a little bit of overweight and the third man has a big overweight. Simple. About the last statement. I think you are talking about ectomorph type and in my opinion 38mm suits these types the best, 42 would be too big for them. But it's just a guess I didn't seen one with Apple Watch.

mikefrssh

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Loving this thing! 42SS ML my wrist is 170mm around. Picked up at Maxfield's yesterday, very comfy and crazy stylish.. + more useful then my Movado (I couldn't really ever tell the time). Apple rocks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
He's definitely not muscular type. I have to said that because there are people out there that could be really offended. So, If you want to talk straight. First of all none of them is me.
The man in the yellow shirt is definitely muscular type, probably the endomorph. The guy with pink sweatshirt is mesomorph with a little bit of overweight and the third man has a big overweight. Simple. About the last statement. I think you are talking about ectomorph type and in my opinion 38mm suits these types the best, 42 would be too big for them. But it's just a guess I didn't seen one with Apple Watch.

Im in this thematic too. (I know what ecto, meso and endomorph means)
You can see my pictures a few posts over yours.
I would describe me as a real ectomorph :/
185cm Tall, 68kg weight. I can eat everything without becoming fat.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I'm not offended, I'd say that's the perfect description of my body.

I think you look great and I didn't meant you by the way. There are other people ;)

----------

Im in this thematic too. (I know what ecto, meso and endomorph means)
You can see my pictures a few posts over yours.
I would describe me as a real ectomorph :/
185cm Tall, 68kg weight. I can eat everything without becoming fat.

I was writing the earlier post before you've posted those photos. And I really appriciate that you did that. Thanks. And absolutely 38mm si best choice for you. By the way I am endomorph with a little overweight If someone wants to know and I am definitely going for 42mm. I've been wearing 38mm round Tissot watch since I was 19. Now in my 28 it is not an option.

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I was writing the earlier post before you've posted those photos. And I really appriciate that you did that. Thanks. And absolutely 38mm si best choice for you. By the way I am endomorph with a little overweight If someone wants to know and I am definitely going for 42mm. I've been wearing 38mm round Tissot watch since I was 19. Now in my 28 it is not an option.

Im Still not sure. At the moment 40% for the 38mm and 60% for the 42mm :)
I like the bigger screen and the maybe 10-15% more battery life.
I think I can wear the 42mm and maybe it looks a little little big, but I think on a small wrists you expect a watch which looks a little too big.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Here some shots from today in the Apple Store and my Bathroom.
150mm Wrists 48-50mm with.
Bathroom photos with 38mm.

By the way you can see in these photos that it could be very deceiving to judge Watch sizes only by your wrists. Because If this guy post only first image I would say he'll be happier with 42mm in a fashion meaning. And as you can see on the other photos ...

----------

Im Still not sure. At the moment 40% for the 38mm and 60% for the 42mm :)
I like the bigger screen and the maybe 10-15% more battery life.
I think I can wear the 42mm and maybe it looks a little little big, but I think on a small wrists you expect a watch which looks a little too big.

If I could see your body in the mirror with 42 that would be good. Well, photos can be really deceiving so ... Don't think that 42 would be disaster for you I don¨t think so. But as I can judge from you body and type the 38 looks really good.

----------

I have 195mm wrists, this is the Apple Watch Sport 42mm white sport band.

This is a shot in the bathroom mirror. To better help others choose their size.

It's a 38mm.

I think that 42mm should be better for you but it's your choice of course.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
Question...

Did they put any full length mirrors in Apple stores for the launch? I currently have a 38mm SS BCB, but I want to try a 42mm just to be sure... and as others here have indicated, it's easier to get a size perspective from a distance.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Did they put any full length mirrors in Apple stores for the launch? I currently have a 38mm SS BCB, but I want to try a 42mm just to be sure... and as others here have indicated, it's easier to get a size perspective from a distance.

They didn't, but they really should have. It's hard to judge how a watch looks on yourself without a mirror or someone taking a picture of you.

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
By the way you can see in these photos that it could be very deceiving to judge Watch sizes only by your wrists. Because If this guy post only first image I would say he'll be happier with 42mm in a fashion meaning. And as you can see on the other photos ...

So from the first photo ou find the 42mm better?

I only have this photo, but it shows a bit more distance and "body":
D6kNrqh.jpg

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
They didn't, but they really should have. It's hard to judge how a watch looks on yourself without a mirror or someone taking a picture of you.
With all the courting they did with the fashion industry for this launch, I find that surprising. Thanks for the answer!

Trigeeks

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Mapple86, I like the 42 better. The 38 seams a little blah and the 42 is bolder, if that makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.