Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turtlebeachbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
Do you have a fuller pic of your cabin-style desk? Are those angled "branches", full legs? I'm very intrigued by this!
The "branches" are 2" limbs with bark removed. Legs are 4" x 4" post milled from logs. Boards are 2" thick live edge slabs. Desk is 6' x 30".
The wood is Eastern Red Cedar. Mostly harvested from Hurricane Rita's big blow in 2005.
The Studio stand is temporary. My next project is to make some kind of rustic stand for it, mount OWC out of sight and clean up the wiring.

Attachments

• tempImageqDZenv.png
    tempImageqDZenv.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 491
  • tempImage2tqMBY.png
    tempImage2tqMBY.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 496

bmmello

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2022
The "branches" are 2" limbs with bark removed. Legs are 4" x 4" post milled from logs. Boards are 2" thick live edge slabs. Desk is 6' x 30".
The wood is Eastern Red Cedar. Mostly harvested from Hurricane Rita's big blow in 2005.
The Studio stand is temporary. My next project is to make some kind of rustic stand for it, mount OWC out of sight and clean up the wiring.
This looks so cool!

fcracer

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2017
I'm sorry for going off topic, but are you the fcracer with the beautiful photography blog? I found it some time ago and it's by far my favourite Asia blog. Your pictures are really amazing (no wonder with that setup) and as an absolute photography beginner I learned so much from your site, thank you so much for your posts there! I would love to visit China again, and every time the wanderlust kicks in, I browse your blog. Hope you're doing well there (hope not too much trouble with the 大白) and thank you for your beautiful pictures!
Hi there m.x., sorry I didn't reply earlier as I had missed it. Yes, I'm the same person :) Thank you for the very kind words! Let me know when you visit China, I can help you with the itinerary, and also take you out for some Beijing Duck and Baijiu.

Reactions: hxlover904

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
How do you find your OWC external enclosure (OWC Mercury Dual Mini I think)?
I will likely choose between this and the Thunderbay 4 mini for my drives, leaning towards the mercury as it's fanless.

Turtlebeachbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
How do you find your OWC external enclosure (OWC Mercury Dual Mini I think)?
I will likely choose between this and the Thunderbay 4 mini for my drives, leaning towards the mercury as it's fanless.
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini Portable
Works great and silent. No problems at all and would buy again. Speeds on par with what drives support.
I have it populated with Samsung 870 QVO 4TB (media) & 860 EVO 2TB (scratch) drives.

Reactions: R3k

theroaringbadger

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2018
I expect that he means exactly that. I don't steal material. And my time is a LOT more valuable than the time it takes to rip films. It's a sad thing to do, though a lot of people do it and feel they're entitled. If I want to watch something, I'll pay for it. We did stream "Moonfall" last night (it's terrible!), which is okay since it's nothing I'd ever want to own. I think it was 5.99 for our family to watch. It would have cost us 60-70 bucks in a theater, so six bucks is practically free! The 150 or so discs I do own fit in a single album.

Robert
Moonfall makes dark Phoenix look amazing.

Reactions: CaptRB

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Your center channel is firing towards your ankles - your should know better if you were in the high end audio. And I doubt that puny little sub can fill your room with low end. And the TV is not particularly large either.

On the other hand, your decor is decent.
I might mention also add that the amount of room reflections, such as caused by the concrete back wall and room size throws any description of high end sound out the window. But, hey, it may be a pleasurable listen.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
View attachment 2000556

Mac Studio Ultra replaced an i9 Hackintosh tower that lived behind the right side monitor. That spot is now occupied by a much smaller OWC Thunderbay and my headphone hangar. The dedicated gaming PC that was behind the hackintosh is still behind the right monitor with a NAS on top. There's a little bit of a cable clutter below the side monitor that I'm not thrilled with, but it's better. USB-C dock for laptop, wired gaming mice, some cable extensions for the Studio and DP/USB switches for the two desktops require some cabling to be left somewhat loose and accessible.

My previous Hackintosh was built for quiet running, but the Mac Studio is a whole 'nother level. Finding a quieter home for the NAS is now rather desirable to hide the drive chatter, but I have no good alternatives at the moment.

Having a genuine mid-tier Apple desktop that I can use as my audio/video workstation integrated on the same desk as my gaming PC was not something I was expecting to ever happen again, but I wasn't going to compromise on my main 4k/144Hz/HDR1000 display.
What are the specs on the gaming PC?

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Where did you get the keyboard pad? I like the extension to pad the corner of the desk.
Its actually part of the desk haha.

The leather part comes with the desks and wraps it, so you never have to touch the cold wood of the table ;)

Its obviously inspired from Apple. Got the desk second hand for like €100 when a company was looking to get rid of some!

Reactions: southerndoc

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Yes, the old and trusty Cinema Display, 11 years old
Nice! I use a Thunderbolt Display with my Thunderbolt-enabled Macs, and once I eventually get a Mac Studio or even an M2 Pro Mac Mini (provided one gets made later this year) I'll use it with my Thunderbolt Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.