Showering with watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eclipse01, Oct 2, 2018.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

So I am a bit new to showering with a watch (Apple watch in particuler). I like to control the music from my watch while in shower, is there a “lock” or something that will make it so the watch does’t freak out with all the water?

2. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Yes. Swipe up the control center and look for the water drop icon. Then rotate crown when finished.

I didn’t in the shower yesterday and my watch somehow went into power saving mode and needed a reboot.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I just got my first Apple Watch this afternoon, and am still feeling my way around. I can’t find the water droplet anywhere. What am I missing?

4. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

When in watchface swipe up from bottom, then scroll down. You might have to edit.

F78DD73C-F9EF-4F39-BFA1-5E05CE79BC8E.png

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

The adhesive of my S0 melted in the shower so I'm always nervous with my S2. I don't take scalding showers but I just don't want that to happen again. I also took my S0 in the ocean with crashing waves numerous times and in pools as well. They didn't call it water resistant, but it was.

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I’m guessing people don’t shower with their sport loop though?

7. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I do
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2018 ---
    This will deactivate the touch screen so water drops don't accidentally activate it. So OP won't be able to control his music anymore via the watch.

OP - the watch is water resistant. You don't need to do anything.

8. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I take my band off and tape the watch to my wrist works well.

9. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Thanks everyone, I actually didn’t know about the water lock feature

10. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Mileage might vary.

Compared to my series 2, of the three showers I have had with the series 4, one was fine, one it kept loading the bottom right complication, and in another it went into low power mode, no idea how, which was a worry. The S4 screen reacts differently and I don't feel like finding out what other madness might happen.

Oh and the microphone was waterlogged for an hour after, despite repeated Water drop tones. Thus siri didn't work.

11. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Hmmm. I've only taken one shower with my S4 so far, and experienced no problems. I will pay close attention next time. My S3 never, ever had an issue.

12. FriendlyMackle macrumors 6502

FriendlyMackle

I put mine is Theater mode. Makes it unlikely that I'll activate the watch via water on the face.

You might consider though, that depending upon the makeup of your water, ie, 'hard' water (minerals, chemicals), it might affect the metal body of the watch over the long term. Though maybe not within the usable life-span of the watch (4 years would be my estimate).

13. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

I was going to say me neither on the S2 then I remembered it answering a phone call from a client. Lol.

But apart from that one time it was fine.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Thank you! I wasn’t in watchface.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I always take my Apple Watch off when I shower. I wouldn’t really use it then anyway so I rather not take any risks.

16. epicnemesis macrumors member

I’ve showered with my S0 pretty much every day since launch and never use the water drop thing. Also I saw someone mention spinning the crown afterwards, what the reason for that?

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with WaterLock to avoid accidental taps. When you're Apple watch is out of the water, you turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch.

18. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

And when you discover that feature late at night in bed, the beeping sound wakes your wife, who gives you justifiable “wife eyes”.

19. 19SK91 macrumors regular

You can still access notification and control center when in apps. Touch and hold on the top or bottom edge of the display for about a second and then swipe down or up.

20. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Holy smokes. I did not know that. Wow.

21. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

After jogging on the treadmill, i always take off my AW4 with sport loop to let it dry while i have a shower :D

22. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

I don’t dare to shower with my Watch S4. It’s my first watch. I shower with shampoo and chlorine for my skin.

23. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

Theater mode only prevents wrist-raise-on, not accidental activation. It requires it to register one extra tap, but I'd expect water drops can do that too. Water mode works well for this.

I've had no water issues due to showering with the watch on my S0 or S3, and probably not on my S4. I did have the crown get sticky on the S3, probably due to salt water swimming.

24. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Is showering with it important enough to risk damage? Water and electronics are not good bedfellows. Besides, I don't like a dirty wrist.

25. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

I do every morning
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2018 ---
    This watch is designed to go in water