Showering with watch

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
So I am a bit new to showering with a watch (Apple watch in particuler). I like to control the music from my watch while in shower, is there a “lock” or something that will make it so the watch does’t freak out with all the water?

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
So I am a bit new to showering with a watch (Apple watch in particuler). I like to control the music from my watch while in shower, is there a “lock” or something that will make it so the watch does’t freak out with all the water?
Yes. Swipe up the control center and look for the water drop icon. Then rotate crown when finished.

I didn’t in the shower yesterday and my watch somehow went into power saving mode and needed a reboot.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The adhesive of my S0 melted in the shower so I'm always nervous with my S2. I don't take scalding showers but I just don't want that to happen again. I also took my S0 in the ocean with crashing waves numerous times and in pools as well. They didn't call it water resistant, but it was.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I’m guessing people don’t shower with their sport loop though?
I do
[doublepost=1538533790][/doublepost]
Yes. Swipe up the control center and look for the water drop icon. Then rotate crown when finished.
This will deactivate the touch screen so water drops don't accidentally activate it. So OP won't be able to control his music anymore via the watch.

OP - the watch is water resistant. You don't need to do anything.

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I do
[doublepost=1538533790][/doublepost]

This will deactivate the touch screen so water drops don't accidentally activate it. So OP won't be able to control his music anymore via the watch.

OP - the watch is water resistant. You don't need to do anything.
Mileage might vary.

Compared to my series 2, of the three showers I have had with the series 4, one was fine, one it kept loading the bottom right complication, and in another it went into low power mode, no idea how, which was a worry. The S4 screen reacts differently and I don't feel like finding out what other madness might happen.

Oh and the microphone was waterlogged for an hour after, despite repeated Water drop tones. Thus siri didn't work.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Mileage might vary.

Compared to my series 2, of the three showers I have had with the series 4, one was fine, one it kept loading the bottom right complication, and in another it went into low power mode, no idea how, which was a worry. The S4 screen reacts differently and I don't feel like finding out what other madness might happen.

Oh and the microphone was waterlogged for an hour after, despite repeated Water drop tones. Thus siri didn't work.
Hmmm. I've only taken one shower with my S4 so far, and experienced no problems. I will pay close attention next time. My S3 never, ever had an issue.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Thanks everyone, I actually didn’t know about the water lock feature
I put mine is Theater mode. Makes it unlikely that I'll activate the watch via water on the face.

You might consider though, that depending upon the makeup of your water, ie, 'hard' water (minerals, chemicals), it might affect the metal body of the watch over the long term. Though maybe not within the usable life-span of the watch (4 years would be my estimate).

Reactions: haruhiko

epicnemesis

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I’ve showered with my S0 pretty much every day since launch and never use the water drop thing. Also I saw someone mention spinning the crown afterwards, what the reason for that?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve showered with my S0 pretty much every day since launch and never use the water drop thing. Also I saw someone mention spinning the crown afterwards, what the reason for that?
When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with WaterLock to avoid accidental taps. When you're Apple watch is out of the water, you turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
After jogging on the treadmill, i always take off my AW4 with sport loop to let it dry while i have a shower :D

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
I put mine is Theater mode. Makes it unlikely that I'll activate the watch via water on the face.

You might consider though, that depending upon the makeup of your water, ie, 'hard' water (minerals, chemicals), it might affect the metal body of the watch over the long term. Though maybe not within the usable life-span of the watch (4 years would be my estimate).
Theater mode only prevents wrist-raise-on, not accidental activation. It requires it to register one extra tap, but I'd expect water drops can do that too. Water mode works well for this.

I've had no water issues due to showering with the watch on my S0 or S3, and probably not on my S4. I did have the crown get sticky on the S3, probably due to salt water swimming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.