Showing/Hiding items in the Lion Finder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by elldove, Jun 11, 2011.

1. elldove macrumors newbie

Lion has changed the way the Finder handles file/folder visibility.

The most noticeable difference is that, by default, ~/Library/, is hidden. This is probably a good decision for most users, as it can be confusing and I have seen users stash their documents in there. I think they could have gone further, /Library/ and /System/ ought to be hidden too.

But this can be pretty annoying if you're a power user who wants access to ~/Library/ (if you're reading this, then this probably means you). Luckily, you can change a folder/file's visibility with a simple Applescript:

Code:
    tell application "System Events" 
    set visible of folder "~/Library/" to true
    end tell
    If you want to re-hide the folder, just change true to false and re-run.

I should also note that Lion changes another way in which the Finder handles visibility: you can no longer add a period to start of a file name to hide it. In fact, Finder won't LET you start a filename with a period.

You have to use the applescript above to toggle visibility on any file/folder.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Actually power users probably use chflags no hidden for files.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Great! I always thought the period way of hiding things is extremely stupid. If you want to hide a folder, you have to rename it, so any application that relies on that folder can no longer find it, which makes hiding them pointless.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

If you bring up the Go menu and hold alt you can select the library folder. I've found it easy so far.