Showing off new monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Aug 4, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Hah, ok, I just plunged on the Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor, I know, I know, I could of gone for the apple cinema display. I could of, but then I'll just kick myself in the head when they finally do update them. So I'll be ordering another one of these in probably 2 weeks and having 2 dual 30"s, then if I still need more room, I'll order one more in the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to brag or boast or whatever.

:p

Pictures coming tommorow, supposedly it'll arrive tommorow, if not, maybe next day.

Also coming:

Wireless Aluminum Keyboard
    Logitech MX Revolution

UPDATE: Read Last Post (page 8)

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Glad to see you have made a choice, post pictures when you get a chance. I just noticed in your signature that it says Developer, 14 y/o.

My question is, are you 14 years old or do you have 14 years of developer experience?

3. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

cant say im not envious but really, do you need two 30inch displays????

5. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably not.

By the way pictures might not be for up to a week I just got this email:

USA
    Small Business
    Customer Service
    My Account
    Contact Us

At Dell, our customers are our top priority and we regret when we are unable to ship our products by the original estimate provided. Although we anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay and have adjusted the estimated ship date as reflected below (see Revised Estimated Ship Date). We value your business and appreciate your patience.

What's Next? When your order ships, you will receive an Order Shipped email that will allow you to easily track your package(s). At any time you may click on the Order Status bar below to view the current status of your order.

Order Information for Order #xxxxxxxxx
    Customer Number: xxxxxxxx
    Dell Purchase ID:
    What is Dell Purchase ID?
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Order: Order Number Product Description Revised Est.
    Ship Date
    Click on the Order Number
    to view its status
    xxxxxx Dell High Color 30 inch UltraSharp Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
    08/12/2008

Important Things to Know:
    No action is required to proceed with the revised estimated ship date; however, If you do not wish to wait, you may cancel your order by emailing us at US_Dell_Notify@dell.com or by calling 1-877-868-3355.
    This email shows a specific Order Number within your purchase that has been impacted by the Federal Mail Order Rule. To learn more about the Mail Order Rule, click here. To view the status of the rest of the orders within your Dell Purchase ID, click here.
    Please include your Customer Number or Order Number with any correspondence you return to Dell.
    © 2007 Dell Inc. U.S. only. Dell Inc. is located at One Dell Way, Mail Stop 8129, Round Rock, TX 78682.

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I don't think you realize how big 30" actually is..... I have ONE Ultrasharp 2408WFP and I'm still trying to justify it's size and at least I am of legal voting age. Live and spend in moderation dude, not many people need that.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I bought a 30 inch ACD last thursday. At first its size was both overwhelming and scary. Now i've pretty much gotten used to it, and 30 inch feels like normal to me. I don't think I could handle two 30 inchers though, unless my eyes grew further apart then I could take it all in.

8. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Live and learn. ;) You should be putting that money for the second 30" display in a money market account saving for college so you can study computer engineering. :p

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

He's talking about a possible 3rd display. Money is no object here. Let him have fun. There is plenty of time for moderation.

10. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Well I don't really know what else to say. Other people have already questioned your necessity, and others have already told you to enjoy. I am going to say "Sorry your order was delayed." Enjoy it. I dont honestly know what you'll do with that much screen, but where there is a will, there is a way.

11. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thankyou for all your kind and encouraging comments.

I know everyone will reply with "Your stupid", "You don't know what your talking about!", but my opinion of college is that it is a $140, 000 burden that keeps you being told by people you could teach how to do what you do best, and it keeps you in debt for the next 2-6 years.

I'm getting one 30", then if it feels like I need another, I will, etc. Money is an object, but it is all justifiable.. nearly.

I keep getting thrown around by Dell, hopefully they'll get they're stuff together, they're all making up stories why it was late, until one guy said it's probably a dud email. So, I may receive it on Thursday, I may not, I'll keep you updated when it changes from 'Production' to 'Shipped'.

/charlie

12. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

While this is a nice refreshing viewpoint, like it or not, 90% of jobs today want overqualified employees. I'm sure there are a lot of programmers and designers and accountants who don't NEED to go to school, but you aren't going to meet many employers qualifications without that $140,000 piece of paper. Keep up the good grades in school, really look around when college time comes, and it turns out you can go for quite cheap. I owe less at the end of 4 years of school than it should have cost me for one year.

13. Digitalflick macrumors regular

When I was 14, I was grinding curbs and doing wheelies on my bike. :rolleyes:

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. Should I tone down my efforts?

16. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

No he's just jealous :p

May I ask what you do as a developer?

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

you should also use usb overdrive.
    logitechs control panel has no where near as customizable buttons as overdrive does.
    you can change any button
    and make application specific settings which is amazing, like in firefox when i move the scroll wheel side to side it switches tabs, and scroll wheel down is open in new tab.
    its amazing

i will never go back. ever!

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man I remember my first LCD! It was 15" 1024x768 and it cost $3000.

And I'm not jealous as all; I'd have found 20 zillion better ways to spend my money.

Hey are you buying a $5000 DSLR that is super-light and you'll get a 1200mm lens with it? :D

19. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha :)

I'm not a photographer.. yet!

I develop most web languages, specifically, php, (x)html, css, javascript/ajax, asp, ruby, I am also learning java and c++

@benglando: noted :)

@alphaod: early adopter, eh?

20. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

jebus
    my lcd on my mbp is cheaper :p
    heck my crt monitor has better resolution 1024x1280
    (i know i know, you got an lcd)

21. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You need to grow up. But, you are 14, so you will.

Everything in moderation.

Including moderation.

22. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Like you don't need 2x30" displays.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

who are you to make that call?

granted he most likely doesn't but guess what, it's his life, his situation, his money (or his family's)

so in summary, it's none of our business with how he chooses to live his life