Shuffling of Windows in Expose by design. Why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm probably daft but why do the windows swap positions in Expose? I mean... what's the point? There doesn't seem to be any logic to it. (But I'm probably missing it).

I go in and out of Expose a lot and find myself always hunting for the window I want - hard to do on a 13" screen. (Especially when I ain't sober which is most of the time).

At least the titling of each window in SL helps a bit.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't think you're alone. There are several other threads on the new Expose. Makes no sense to me, either. The 10.5 way was much more intuitive and expected behavior.

3. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Actually, I never understood the shuffling scheme in 10.5 either. :D

But in SL, they're all over the place. I'm trying to understand the intended pattern but my eyes are going batty.

4. devburke Guest

In SL they organize into a grid?

5. wankey macrumors 6502a

Seriously, it'll probably take 10.6.3 to fix these expose issues. It needs to launch in App sort or alphebetical sort by default. Right now it does a qseudo app sort, then tries to pin your window to the end of the list.

Or does it? Nope, actually it does whatever it likes. Please apple, add a sort by alphabet/app option to your expose window.

6. gavinlc macrumors newbie

Just press command-1 and command-2 to switch between alphabetical and by-app ordering.

7. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I know. But why do the windows not stay sorted in these positions after you select one via expose then go back? Nothing has changed to tell Expose to re-sort the order. There's a reason Apple thought this work flow would be easier for me but I can't figure it out.

Regardless, I really don't care how it sorts hem initially. I just want them to stay in the same place every time I go into expose.

8. nicheuser macrumors newbie

I have also noticed unsavory behavior in the new Exposé, but my complaint is more about the wasted screen space. In 10.5, the open windows were all scaled down proportionally so that you could still pick out windows by size (if, for example, you were looking for a small window). Also, the windows were scaled down just enough to fit all of them on the screen, but not much more. Now, in Snow Leopard, Apple seems to be trying to make all windows the same height in order to fit a more orderly grid, meaning that the scale factor is inconsistent, and it's no longer possible to pick out the "small window". Worse yet, it leaves much more space between windows, and wastes a lot of space all around. The old Expose was much more smooth when animating the transition from full size to Expose mode, and the new one seems much more abrupt. I hope Apple one day offers a preference setting to restore some of the old behavior.