Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Ultimatebuds

I ordered this set of headphones from ebay, They arrived today and I could not be happier. they use the apple cord and mic but with Etymotic ER-6i earphone ends. It came packaged in the stock packaging with case, different size buds, filters and filter tool. They obviously work like the stock apple earphones but with a HUGE sound quality improvement. They are on the same level as my ec4's and they are much more comfortable. Cord length is perfect. I am one very satisfied customer.

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
I ordered this set of headphones from ebay, They arrived today and I could not be happier. they use the apple cord and mic but with Etymotic ER-6i earphone ends. It came packaged in the stock packaging with case, different size buds, filters and filter tool. They obviously work like the stock apple earphones but with a HUGE sound quality improvement. They are on the same level as my ec4's and they are much more comfortable. Cord length is perfect. I am one very satisfied customer.

Those are nice ear phones as I used to use them on my iPod. I'm partial to Etymotic although I'm using Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro Earphones currently. Obviously, these folks have attached the iPhone cable to the Etymotic sound drivers. How is the build quality. I assume it took a bit of soldering so does it look professional?

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
There is no way to tell that this is not how they were built originally. The quality is definitely there, he did a great job, and I am VERY picky. I was going to buy the new shure set up, but all the people with cord issues made me keep looking. I am happy I found these.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

How much did you pay for them on eBay?

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I paid $158 shipped via USPS priority, ordered em last monday, came today

I priced the earbuds out separately and they ranged from 99 to 149 online, so I am happy with the price.

climr

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007

Glad you are happy with them!

We don't have these options on the website yet, but I wanted to let everyone know that there are 3 ways to order our earphones:

1. As a complete set (these are typically in stock and ship quickly)

2. You can send us your iPhone earphone assembly and we'll put the Etymotic ER-6i buds on them. $119.99 +S/H

3. If you happen to already own both the Etymotic ER-6i buds and the iPhone earphones then you can send them both to us and we'll put the ER-6i buds on. $39.99 +S/H

If you want to do option 2 or 3 then email directly to sales@ultimatebuds.com, or check back on the website and these options will be available in a few days.

Thanks
Brad
http://www.ultimatebuds.com

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I dont really like the apple headphones, even if they have a different tip. I have had headphone wires that rip, got really dirty, and ALWAYS ALWAYS tangle.

The shure MPA is made of a thicker wire, though some people say its ugly, it has never tangled on me, ever. the se210's are the same, never any tangle. The apple wire with the mic built in also looks like it can break with the slightest touch, the MPA on the other hand, has a defined button, and looks like its built to last.

I was never against the apple cord, but bringing the cost of an already cheap cord to $150, I think it would be a mistake IMO.

dschur

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
I ordered a pair of the ultimate buds and got them 2 days later, along with a handwritten thank you note from Brad thanking me for being one of the first customers.

The fit and finish is perfect. There is no way you can tell that they were disassembled for the customization. They sound perfect, fit comfortably and have great functionality with the stock clicker.

In short, they are the perfect solution for me, they combine everthing I wanted and a pair of V-moda's are on thier way back.

I now see that Brad is allowing you to either send in your stock iPhone buds or a set of existing er-6i's which will greatly reduce the cost if you have them.

In short, this can't be beat in my book - check out http://www.ultimatebuds.com !

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I've been using the Shure adapter with various headsets, but I have to say, this seems to be a great solution. I'm going to order a pair!

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles

They look nice, but I want to make one comment here... As much as I do agree that the ER-6i is a nice headphone, it's nowhere close to the sound quality level of the Shure E4/E4c. Compared to the E4, the ER-6i lacks bass and is extremely bright, to the point of being unbearable (to me) for certain types of music (piano comes to mind).

Again, it's definitely a good headphone for the price, but there's a reason I paid almost twice as much for the E4.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
i purchased the shure SE 210's for $150 a few days ago and they are amazing....apple was sold out of the MPA but i will purchase it this weekend hopefully if they are in stock

i highly recommend these headphones as they block out 95% of outside noise and in my opinion cannot be beaten for the price

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Just got the Shure MPA today. Wow!

The apple earphones do not fit in my ears. Fall out & hurt! Actually I can't wear anything that's IN my ear as that causes a wierd inner ear pain (sensitive ears, I guess).

I've been using the B&O earphones with the iPod (and computer...and TV...and anything else that requires headphones). The sound quality is great. No strap over the head to mess up my hair. They fit right against the ear.

Anyway...the Shure fits with this unit and I couldn't be more pleased. Everyone says it's the best I've sounded on the phone so the mic quality is fabulous. Now everyone's happy!

As a note - I also use the BT headset. Again, the fit isn't the gretest but it's great for a quick call or answer.
...like when I'm driving or moving around a lot and don't want to drag the phone with me.

The Shure, paired with your favorite earphones/headphones/earbuds is really the best option if you prefer a wired headset and have issues with the Apple earphones.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Weird hearing sensation

I cannot hear myself (in the iPhone) speak as I have the noise-canceling headphones on. It is an odd sensation, not sold on this idea - yet...

I have my first trip with them today so I'll try them out in real-life situations (airport, airplane, etc...) and see if this is livable.

The sensation of speaking while wearing the headphones feels like "pressure" in my ears and the "removed" sensation from my own voice MAYBE feels like what someone slightly hard of hearing hears??? In any event - this is not a normal option.

We will see...

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I cannot hear myself (in the iPhone) speak as I have the noise-canceling headphones on. It is an odd sensation, not sold on this idea - yet...

I have my first trip with them today so I'll try them out in real-life situations (airport, airplane, etc...) and see if this is livable.

The sensation of speaking while wearing the headphones feels like "pressure" in my ears and the "removed" sensation from my own voice MAYBE feels like what someone slightly hard of hearing hears??? In any event - this is not a normal option.

We will see...
I have been using the adapter with Bose QCs and I know what you mean. There is not enough side tone. At first it bothered me so much that I would just slide my headphone slightly off my ears and it sounded much better, recently I have forgotten to do this and have long calls with it not bothering me anymore, although I may be talking too loudly then.

NYCphone

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
My Shure music phone adapter spins at the connector point (mic port). Is this part of the design or a problem with my unit.

Thanks!

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Our UltimateBuds arrived today. Awesome turn-around time and customer service experience.

An in-depth review is in the works now... and forthcoming soon.

NYCphone

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
My mic does not spin on the cord if that is what you mean.

When I put the headphones into the adapter, they can turn freely - either the mic or the headphones themselves (I can tun the mic around when it is attached to the headphones). Didn't know if this was the design of the unit, or if there was a problem...thanks again.

irie

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
If you use the MPA win your car Aux In, you in essence have a poor man's Car hands free system. Just clip the mic where it is convenient and play your music thru the car stereo. When you receive or make a call, the music fades and pauses and the phone conversation plays thru the car stereo. Music resumes when call ends. Way COOL. You may hav to adjust mic placement to minimize feedback. Also try to use shielded cables to minimize static. Anyone have a source for shielded male-male mini stereo patch cord?

Mike

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
If you use the MPA win your car Aux In, you in essence have a poor man's Car hands free system. Just clip the mic where it is convenient and play your music thru the car stereo. When you receive or make a call, the music fades and pauses and the phone conversation plays thru the car stereo. Music resumes when call ends. Way COOL. You may hav to adjust mic placement to minimize feedback. Also try to use shielded cables to minimize static. Anyone have a source for shielded male-male mini stereo patch cord?

Mike

Yea, I have been using this with my Acura RDX, it took a while to come to my mind. When answering calls, the phone acts weird because the bluetooth takes over so I have to unplug the mpa before I can answer the call.

irie

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
I just turn off the bluetooth headset. If I leave my Jawbone on then the music plays through the car stereo until a phone call comes in at which time the music fades and pauses. Audio automatically transfers to the Jawbone headset for the phonecall and transfers back to the car upon call completion at which time the music resumes playing. I think it is auser preference wether or not you want all audio going through the stereo. I like it. There may be times, for privacy sake(with passengers who you dont want to hear the other end of your conversation), you may want the audio in the earpiece. Also, in noisy environments(Mach 3+ with the windows down) if you have a good noise canceling Headset. YMMV.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.