Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aledadowns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Do you shut down your MacBook Pro or just close the lid. What is better for the laptop? I just got the MacBook Pro 16 and I want to make sure I take care of this properly. I have heard mixed reviews on what is actually best.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I’ve done both. You should be good either way. I’d recommend shutting it down at least once a month though just so that it can get through a healthy cycle of shutting down and restarting.

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
I close the lid if I feel like I am probably going to use it again that same day. If I am pretty sure I am done with using it for the day, I do a proper shutdown.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I keep my battery at 50-60% level at all times, unless I am traveling.
And I always shutdown and unplug the power source if I won't be using the computer for at least a couple of hours.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I've always closed the lid. It's probably good to restart it every now and then though. I shut mine down enough when I switch to Windows with Bootcamp, so I'm not worried about that.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Do you shut down your MacBook Pro or just close the lid. What is better for the laptop? I just got the MacBook Pro 16 and I want to make sure I take care of this properly. I have heard mixed reviews on what is actually best.

Having a 2017 Macbook Pro, I leave the lid open (unless transporting it) to delay problems with the display cable caused by opening and closing.

I'm not sure why shutting down will cause any issues ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.