Shut Down Time rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Textureboy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

What is the shut down speed for your rMBP?

My shut down speed use to be instantly fast at least less then 10 seconds but after I contacted apple support they made me go through boot up options and now my shutdown speed feels like it takes forever. Is this normal? :/

2. RMSko macrumors 6502

Mine typically shuts down in about 2 seconds so it does appear that something is wrong with yours.

3. borisiii macrumors 6502

9 times out of 10 it takes about 2 seconds.
    Sometimes I get the spinning wheel and it takes about 30 seconds.
    Once it hadn't shut down after 5 minutes and I had to power it off.

If you have lots of apps and windows open and select reopen windows it will take longer.

I once had a problem with an older mac taking ages to shut down and AppleCare suggested a PRAM reset, which worked - might be worth a try.

4. Textureboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I kept on testing it even with the PRAM reset and it still takes over 20 seconds to shut down.

I even tried turning it off right when I turned it on and it still doesn't shut down fast even though I have nothing opened...

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Just took 6 seconds to shut off and 14 to boot.

6. Textureboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Textureboy

My boot is pretty fast around 10 seconds.

So I just tested it again but when I shut down I choose the option to re-open windows when I turn it back on. This time it turned off in less then 5 seconds.

Is it usually slower when you just turn it off ?

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

that could speed things up, when you uncheck it it has to shut down all the apps before shuting down the computer when its left ticked it does not need to shut down the apps first

8. Textureboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Textureboy

It's so confusing to why that speeds up the process, comparing to the slow speed time when shutting down the MacBook with all the applications closed...

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well just because an app is closed it still might need to be quit

10. borisiii macrumors 6502

That's not true - when you shut down the computer all the apps are closed, regardless of the reopen window setting.

If you select reopen windows, all the application states are written to the drive so it can reopen them in that same state upon boot. Depending on the number and size of apps, saving their states takes up to about 10 seconds on a retina, and up to 30 on a Mac with an HDD.

If you uncheck reopen windows, the apps are closed without saving their states, so it takes less time.

iisforiphone is confusing this with sleeping the computer, where application states are saved to RAM (which is quicker than writing even to an SSD).

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Saving application states (checking the box) slows things down because the RAM has to be dumped to the SSD. The more applications open, the slower this is.

I've noticed restarting is also a lot quicker than shut down + boot, presumably because the the RAM remains active.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for correcting me

13. stiwi macrumors regular

Mine rMBP 2.7/16/512 boots in seconds but shut down takes 22 seconds. Why so long is beyond me. It came with ML preinstalled.

Ideas?

14. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Restart takes 15 seconds to get to log in screen. 2-3 shut down.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Format it. It shouldnt take that long.

16. iaymnu macrumors 6502

My shut down in about 10 secs because I'm running ramdisks. Without them it's 2-3 secs.

17. stiwi macrumors regular

Apparently in my case it turned out to be internet sharing. When I disabled it, rMBP shuts down within 2 seconds.

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That makes sense. It checks to be sure that any connected clients are properly disconnected before shutting down the service, and it takes a moment to shut down the service itself before the rest of the shutdown takes place. Even if there aren't any other clients connected, I can see that slowing down the shutdown process by 10-12 seconds minimum.

jW

19. RMSko macrumors 6502

MY rMBR used to take about 2 seconds to shut down and then occasionally it would take longer. Lately, almost every time I shut it down it takes about 15 seconds+ to fully shut down. This is the case even if I have nothing open, i.e., when I shut down just after I startup. Anyone have any thoughts what would have made this change suddenly (I haven't installed any new programs or made any real changes to)?

20. RMSko macrumors 6502

One thing to add that is strange. If I shut down with Safari open, the shut down time goes to 2 seconds. I have no idea why having Safari open changes things though. Anyone have any thoughts?

21. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Have you tested this more extensively? It makes no sense to me that having an extra application open would make shutting down quicker.

On the topic of the thread, this is bugging me a lot. My laptop takes about twice as long to shut down than it does to start up. I'm not running anything on it which I didn't run on my old laptop when it's shutting down yet my old, much lower spec, laptop did it many times faster. I'm pretty stumped here. Clean install time?

22. Cameraman12 macrumors member

My rmbp takes about 15 seconds to shut down and about 12 to start up. It doesn't seem to matter much how many apps I have open when I shut down, its always around 15 seconds.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am going to guess if u have external stuff attached including network shares, the shutdown process may take a bit longer because the machine wants to be nice and after sending the disconnect command to remote wants to hear back ACKnowledgement.

24. trsblader macrumors 6502

I'm around 20-30 seconds on shut down. When I first got it (day after it was announced), shut down was less than 5 seconds. Never been able to figure out what was different :(

25. WarrenFields Guest

Yes. Mine takes about 30 seconds to shut down, and I'm pretty sure that is because I have my external drive attached. Same reason why it is slow to boot with the drive connected.