Shutdown Screen with Maverick No Longer Grey

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Godf1st, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Godf1st, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Godf1st macrumors regular

I'm experiencing an issue when I choose to shutdown or restart my MBPR, my screen becomes transparent and the loading symbol comes up and then shuts down within 12 seconds. While it's shutting down you can continue to see my background and part of the dock. Is anyone else having this issue with the GM release? Is there a fix?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fimeg macrumors regular

I'm having to same problem here. I figured it'd be worked out eventually though, i.e., either through software update or something.

3. Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, at least I'm not the only one. I've tried resetting pmc and smc. Still hasn't resolved it. Maybe it will be fixed in official release.

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Doesn't happen on my MBP.

5. Godf1st, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't happening on my MBPR either until I took the GM update.

From the looks of it, in logs it states that it was a shutdown stall.

Edit: Do you still have normal grey shutdown screen or is yours transparent like mine?

6. Godf1st, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

7. Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

Since issue never went away I reverted back to ML

8. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Shutdown screen not grey.

Since I upgraded to 10.9, rather than the screen turning grey and it shutting down, it turns translucent, I can still see my background, and the top of my dock icons show. It still shuts down in a reasonable amount of time, just maybe 5 seconds or so. Anyone else experiencing this?

This is only happening on my rMBP.

9. Ferbo macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Installed Mavericks on two iMacs (late 2013) today and they both have the same issue now. I never noticed this in Mountain Lion.

Is this behaviour normal in Mavericks or is there something wrong on my end?

10. Ferbo macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Happens on two iMacs here.

11. Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think the issue is normal. Since then I did a clean/fresh install of mavericks and I no longer experience the issue I was when upgrading from ML to GM. Now with the MAS release and clean install I get the grey shutdown screen. I noticed that my Mac takes longer to shutdown now on Mavericks then it did on ML. Also I get quite a few shutdown stalls now on my Mac.:confused:

12. matjamca macrumors regular

I upgraded from ML to Mavericks on 2012 Retina MacBook Pro and I have the same issue. Very odd. But interesting to see.

13. coldwaves macrumors regular

I had the same issue the first time I installed Mavericks (format hard drive and clean install) when it was publicly released. Then I formatted my hard drive and did a clean installation again, the issue was gone this time. I did exactly the same thing for both installations. No idea why that happened. But it seems doing a clean installation is a possible way to fix it.

14. Godf1st thread starter macrumors regular

Agree, did a clean install the day it was released in the MAS and that issue left.

15. goldsaint macrumors member

I have noticed i have the same exact problem just after upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks (downloaded off the App Store and made a bootable USB Key). My computer is a Retina Macbook Pro 15'' with GT650M.

2x things :

1) This never happened in ML before, i always backed up using Time Machine. Once i updated to Mavericks, issue started.

2) Tried to delete the HDD Maverick partition and restart from Fresh. Issue didnt happen anymore. BUT, when i use Migration Assistant to get back to my Time Machine Backup, issue comes back again.

Hypothesis :
    Backup from ML is causing this, it could be a graphical driver issue with Maverick.

So not only, do i have the ''Ghost'' effect (which is terribly annoying now), but i have this improper shutdown and restart that i hate.

Maybe wait and see if Apple fix it in another update or go back to ML.... don't know yet.

16. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

There is, at least, one thread about this already.

Anyway, it happens on my rMBP (no Migration Assistant used, upgraded without formatting from 10.8.5 supplemental). It does not happen on my 2007 iMac (no Migration Assistant used, upgraded without formatting from 10.8.5 supplemental).

So I don't think there is a pattern..

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Problem!? It causes heart attacks or the destruction of property!?

18. goldsaint macrumors member

19. goldsaint macrumors member

what is the ''MAS'' ?

20. Quackers macrumors 6502a

It happens on my rMBP too but I don't consider it a problem - more of a feature :)

21. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Mac App Store

I have the same issue on my MBP, where I installed Mavericks over 10.8.5. I would have done a clean install of 10.9, but Boot Camp is broken to where I can't boot Windows. Since it's not causing any issues other than a longer shutdown time (albeit no longer than it was with 10.8.5), I'm not going to worry about it.

22. goldsaint macrumors member

Yes thanks ! i guess you're right, but really i feel like a downgrade since Snow Leopard... I mean mountain lion was ok, and this maverick is definitely a let down for me...

Do you guys think it's possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard ? if yes, can i use my maverick backup ? And last, what features would i lose if i were about to do such a ''downgrade'' ?

23. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

The issue is you're using Maverick and not Mavericks!

24. 82asmdf203 macrumors member

I wish I could get this "feature" on my rMBP but it defaults to the standard gray shutdown screen with Mac logo. Anyone know how to change it?

25. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor