Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
Should have updated... I’ve been working with the SoftRAID development team, and they were able to recreate the issue easily. This should get fixed in 10.14.4 if we’re lucky. It’s nothing to do with SoftRAID etc, but just - as you said, a product of drives taking too long to shut down - causing issues.

Interestingly, I’ve been able to recreate the issue on a 2014 Mac mini and a 2012 Mac mini, but those minis don’t actually generate a crash report, despite shutting off HARD during the system-shut-down procedure. The 2018 model is the first model of mini that actually complains about the problem.

This is great info! Thanks for updating the thread.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Still occurring in 10.14.4. Is Apple paying any attention at all to things that get reported?
[doublepost=1553617406][/doublepost]
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 11.22.10 AM.png

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto
Still occurring in 10.14.4. Is Apple paying any attention at all to things that get reported?
[doublepost=1553617406][/doublepost] View attachment 828557
I was waiting to see if 10.14.4 solved the Issue and you have answered the question - No.
Am running early 2016 Retina MacBook 512 SSD and late 2012 iMac with rotational HD and both 10.14.3 with the ongoing " Shutdown Stall" logs created at every power down. The iMac is sometimes slow to off and RMB is a bit faster because of SSD.
Basically give up on this until 10.15.xx

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
I was waiting to see if 10.14.4 solved the Issue and you have answered the question - No.
Am running early 2016 Retina MacBook 512 SSD and late 2012 iMac with rotational HD and both 10.14.3 with the ongoing " Shutdown Stall" logs created at every power down. The iMac is sometimes slow to off and RMB is a bit faster because of SSD.
Basically give up on this until 10.15.xx
It's kind of a shame to think that the Apple engineers don't even listen, huh?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
My shutdown actually stalls randomly on shut downs since mojave. I'll have to see if I'm getting this log too.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I had this exact issue with my Drobo. I now switch the Drobo off before shutdown and it doesn't happen anymore.

My SSDs that are connected don't cause any issues thankfully.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Just updated to 10.14.6 and it’s still not fixed. I noticed this right after upgrading my 2016 MBP to Mojave 10.14.0 back in September and it still hasn’t been taken care of. It’s a minor annoyance that most people will never notice but I like to check the console and logs.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Just updated to 10.14.6 and it’s still not fixed. I noticed this right after upgrading my 2016 MBP to Mojave 10.14.0 back in September and it still hasn’t been taken care of. It’s a minor annoyance that most people will never notice but I like to check the console and logs.
I wonder why Apple is ignoring this? Is there some “benefit” to having a stall upon shutdown that we are missing? :rolleyes:

It’s better to have OCD and be a perfectionist than to be sloppy. It’s this attitude that is turning Apple into what it is today. You must be an Apple engineer. ;) I think Mr. Jobs would have agreed that this is BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: lec0rsaire

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto
I too am getting the "Shutdown Stalled" on every shutdown on both iMac and Retina MacBook Air. Originally thought it was related to rotational HD in old iMac but happens on newish rMBA 2018 with SSD.
Kind of give up on this one.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
I too am getting the "Shutdown Stalled" on every shutdown on both iMac and Retina MacBook Air. Originally thought it was related to rotational HD in old iMac but happens on newish rMBA 2018 with SSD.
Kind of give up on this one.
I’d agree that at this point it’s a lost cause. Apple engineers clearly don’t care about this.

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto
In my experience, if Level 2 Support @ Apple does NOT deem it important enough to elevate this issue to Engineering, they will never ever do something about it. So . . . we can only join the dots and here we are - no resolution

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
In my experience, if Level 2 Support @ Apple does NOT deem it important enough to elevate this issue to Engineering, they will never ever do something about it. So . . . we can only join the dots and here we are - no resolution
I reported it multiple times way back when I first discovered it. I also escalated it and reported it to engineering through the dev portal, yet they still ignored it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I expect that if the shutdown stall was a general problem that many people experience, then Apple would be compelled to do something.
I, for one, get a rare shutdown stall, where it takes sometimes several minutes to restart, or shutdown. That happens maybe once a month or less often. Normal shutdown only takes a few seconds, and sometimes shutdown has no discernible delay whatsoever -- for me.
I attribute shutdown delays to a system housekeeping issue, which occasionally affects nothing more than shutdown.
The problem that you see is NOT a general system problem -- except for you and a few others.

That being said - I do see the log entries for shutdown stalls. But, a log entry does not always mean that it affects anything in the real world. As I said, I often get near instantaneous shutdowns, (less than 5 seconds to OFF) despite getting a shutdown stall line in the logs. So, for me, the mere presence of a log entry does not usually result in any noticeable delay.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
I expect that if the shutdown stall was a general problem that many people experience, then Apple would be compelled to do something.
I, for one, get a rare shutdown stall, where it takes sometimes several minutes to restart, or shutdown. That happens maybe once a month or less often. Normal shutdown only takes a few seconds, and sometimes shutdown has no discernible delay whatsoever -- for me.
I attribute shutdown delays to a system housekeeping issue, which occasionally affects nothing more than shutdown.
The problem that you see is NOT a general system problem -- except for you and a few others.

That being said - I do see the log entries for shutdown stalls. But, a log entry does not always mean that it affects anything in the real world. As I said, I often get near instantaneous shutdowns, (less than 5 seconds to OFF) despite getting a shutdown stall line in the logs. So, for me, the mere presence of a log entry does not usually result in any noticeable delay.
If the log that’s being generated is useless info then it should be suppressed. What you’re saying makes no sense and would nullify the need for these logs in the first place. LOL

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thanks for your opinion.

I agree completely. Sometimes the logs may report events that are not noticeable to the user.
OTOH, you see that event, and it appears as a shutdown stall, and there is also that thing that you see (a long shut down). Seems that it is common for you.
I also see the same event in the log, but it is simply a log entry, and whatever happens to the system is not often noticeable, and shutdown appears normal to me. 3 - 5 seconds is the usual for me, even if a shutdown stall message is generated.
But, then again, I don't shut down very often - maybe every month or two. It might be different for me if I shut down every day -- but I won't do that.
I am only posting here to show that not everyone is affected in any .

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I had hoped that by 10.14.6 this would’ve been taken care of. Now I just hope that it’s not present in Catalina. But even if it isn’t it will probably be something else!

High Sierra had that obnoxious month 13 bug after all! At least the engineers took care of that one.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I reported it multiple times way back when I first discovered it. I also escalated it and reported it to engineering through the dev portal, yet they still ignored it.

Try a fresh install of macOS without installing any apps. Attempt to reproduce the issue. If it doesn't happen one of your apps may have issues with APFS.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Issue still persists. Apparently Apple's engineers could care less about this.
[automerge]1572395221[/automerge]
Try a fresh install of macOS without installing any apps. Attempt to reproduce the issue. If it doesn't happen one of your apps may have issues with APFS.
Clean install makes NO difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.