Sick and tired of waiting an ACD refreshment...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cesoca, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

... and just ordered an Eizo HD2441-W. At least, I won't have regrets when Apple finally update its display line (in an uncertain future).

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless they're as thin as the iPhone, have a 2ms response time, come in 24", 30", and 42", are OLED backlit, have built-in iSights, a mic, and IR port, have three USB 2.0, three FireWire 400, a FireWire 800, and FireWire 3200, have a glossy OPTION, and are priced thus:

24": $499
    30": $999
    42": $1999

Yeah, you'd have some regrets then. I don't care who you are. :D

3. dooyou macrumors regular

Why ACD when you ordered an EIZO:D
    I love my S2431W

4. pprior macrumors 65816

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id just be glad to get a display with good color accuracy like the ACD and No Dead/stuck pixels....i dont need an isight, a mic or builtin crap like that, why spend production money on that and increase the price when 99.899% will never utilize them anyway.

LED backlight would be perfect for an update and a tad better response time. thats really all i can see the need for personally.

6. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

So what?

I made my decision after reading this honest review:

<The Eizo HD2441W-TS contains an S-PVA panel (Super Patterned Vertical Alignment) from Samsung, which is combined with a 10-Bit Look-up table. Internal colour value calculation is as accurate as 14 bits.

The clear advantage as compared with pure 8 Bit output for RGB is that settings such as contrast, colour temperature, gamma or RGB have no negative effect on the reproducible colour space. For the red, green and blue colour channels, all 256 gradients are always available. In practice, the monitor displays fine linear and radial colour gradients cleanly. Fine grey gradients are also displayed without visible stripes.>

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-eizo-hd2441w-ts.html#Introduction

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have the Eizo ColorEdge CE240W monitor for my Mac Pro. I am totally satisfied with this monitor and have no remorse.

I thought that I wanted the ACD when I purchased my Mac Pro but there were too many complaints at the time.

Never second guessed my decision.:cool:

8. plumpan macrumors regular

i too am considering ACD alternatives. i was only looking at NEC, but i will definitely have to consider an eizo as well. which of their models is equivalent or better to the current ACDs?

9. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I was waiting for new ACDs too, but I just bought 23" ACD and I love it. No regrets. It's an amazing display.

10. macgruder macrumors 6502

Why do they need to update it? It has a S-IPS display and for professional color work it is about the best monitor you can get for the price. The fact that the look hasn't been updated doesn't mean the panel hasn't. I suspect the Eizo was (significantly?) more expensive than the ACD.

The NEC with lookup and a S-IPS panel is another possibility at $1100.

11. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

You must admit it's not that common to watch someone claiming the price as the major selling point of an Apple product. If Apple wants to compete with NEC or Eizo in the professional color work area it must improve some characteristics of its display line. It's not enough to say it's an S-IPS panel. Planar uses H-IPS panel in its 26" model and it's cheaper. And I have heard of backlight bleeding issues with the ACDs and the anti-glare coating Apple uses is not unanimously praised.

12. TSE macrumors 68030

My Samsung 22' 2232BW works great and looks great. Only 300 dollars too.

13. macgruder macrumors 6502

But of course the Planar is the same resolution (and it seems about the same price), so has a larger pixel pitch which would probably make it unsuitable for pro (especially text work). Most reviews of the ACD I've seen have been positive. If Apple release a new ACD and bump up the price by $200 - $300 I think a lot of people won't be too happy.

14. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Ok perhaps the CD is due for a 'refresh' - but what is so very wrong with the current line up.

I can't afford one myself, i'm happy with my 24" samsung thankyouverymuch, but if you can afford them they're a great screen. Why are people screaming for them to be refreshed?

What extra features do you expect a display to have? USB ports etc are just a waste of space, there are enough usb ports on the keyboard/MP tower.

As for a 42" monitor? WTF? I hope you'll be sitting at least 8ft from it

15. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

First off, the ACD does not have any of the controls you mention and with good reason -- they do nothing to calibrate a display at 8-bit and only mess up properly configured software calibration.

Secondly, that high bit data path you site is not all you've made it out to be. The path from the OS, Colorsync profiles, Video Card to the monitor is 8-bit. Your monitor has an internal controller that interpolates the video signal to 10 bit. Eizo does a great job with this, but for my money right now, I prefer an 8-bit data path unless I can really test a monitor. The delta E (difference between adjacent colors) can get very unpredictable with this interpolation. This can make image editing for print output very unpredictable.

And please don't dismiss an S-IPS panel so easily: they still retain very clear advantages to your PVA panel.

That's simply not accurate: ACD's are SWOP certified and have very finely tuned panels for SWOP certified Print output.

We have many displays here: ACD 30, ACD 23, an EIZO, an NEC (on it now) and two HP-LP3065.

For Print Output the ACD's place consistently at the top of the pack.

Broadcast and web output are another matter with the ACD's being color accurate but lower in gamut than our HP's or Eizo.

Exactly the ACD's sell very well to Print Professionals due to their feature set being optimized for that particular color space.

16. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

So one could infers, NEC considers EU consumers second class pros, as it has only made available for them the 26' version of its 90's serie

17. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

18. macgruder macrumors 6502

You can infer that if you want. Although I think the 26 foot version may be a tad to big :)

Perhaps the pro market in Europe is not an NEC target right now. Who knows?

19. pprior macrumors 65816

LOL, I'm hardly an "apple fanboy" as you'll see if you look at my posting history. I've only owned a mac for a year and have been very critical of apple products including the one I own.

I do however think that a spade needs to be called a spade. Panel technology is what it is.

I don't own a ACD display, in fact I've put off buying one because I think they are long in need of upgrades. So I don't have a horse in the race. But your posting implied that the choice you made was just as good as the ACD, and I'm not sure that is true, especially for photographic work.

I don't discount your arguments, but please let's not resort to name calling, eh?

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have a Samsung 245B at work, and it sucks big-time compared to the 23" ACD display I have at home. If I don't have the Sammy at just the right vertical angle it becomes almost unusable. Ditto for the other two 245B displays in my group. I keep seeing good reviews about the Sammy 245B but it does not hold a candle to the ACD quality.

And I like Samsung televisions otherwise. I have one of their 61" DLPs and two LCDs (a 720p 32" and a 1080p 40").

21. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

What do you mean for "right now"? This particular monitor was released at least, by the beginning of 2007
    `

According NEC website it was chosen the best of show by Macworld magazine in 2007 (of course, among MacRumors regulars, standards are higher). :)

22. macgruder macrumors 6502

At this point in time,
    somewhere between the past and the future
    今,
    the present.
    :)

There could be many reasons for NEC's choice. Perhaps it's a supply issue of some kind. Who knows.

23. Cesoca thread starter macrumors member

Cesoca

Probably a better choice than an outdated S-IPS model from Apple, even being a multi-purpose panel. Eizo has better credentials than Apple regarding LCD displays.

I wouldn't change anything that I said, your laconic first reply was revealing.

24. pprior macrumors 65816

Do you think that Apple is the only S-IPS manufacturer?

How do you get defense of a technology as defense of a company?

You are too quick to ascribe motive, rather than consider the argument.

25. dooyou macrumors regular

Reseller, not manufacturer. The Panels are from different manufacturers.