Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I was thinking about this the other day as I was walking down the sidewalk. (I also thought it would make an interesting thread. :)) What side of the sidewalk do you default to? That is, do you walk on the right side of the sidewalk naturally or the left. Does this preference depend on any situations? I'm also curious to discover if this depends upon the side of the road you drive on in your country (i.e. right side in the U.S., left side in G.B.)

I prefer to walk on the right side of sidewalk but if I notice someone coming right at me I'll slide over to the left (obviously to avoid running into them). I was in London this Spring for Easter but I can't recall which side of the sidewalk I used.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I walk on the right. It used to be that I'd always move over if someone were coming right at me, but as of late I've done that less and less often unless the other person is obviously not paying attention. If I'm on the right, I've got the ROW.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i tend to walk to the right by default. although it all depends on whats in my way too. i'm not a slow walker so i'll go around people whichever way is easiest.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
HA! i was just thinking this the other day... how sad we are. i default to the left hand side of a footpath (sidewalk) & a hallway/path cos thats the side that i drive on. ive noticed that a lot of people default to right on a path or hallway and i tend to force them to switch or almost bump into them. on the contrary we have a big mall in by home city and its split into two big footpaths and most of the crowd walks on the left. shouldnt it be clear that you stick to which side you drive on?

maybe some people naturally like to go to a favoured side whether it be right or left like having a dominant left eye. i like sitting slightly to the left at my desk, my windows slightly to the left on my screen and i have a dominant left eye... but im right handed!... weird

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
London sidewalk (footpath) etiquette: Please don't stroll at snail's pace 3 or 4 abreast looking up at the buildings, otherwise I'll kick the crap out of your ruddy coccyx. Thank you. :)

;)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
London sidewalk (footpath) etiquette: Please don't stroll at snail's pace 3 or 4 abreast looking up at the buildings, otherwise I'll kick the crap out of your ruddy coccyx. Thank you. :)

;)
have you ANY idea how much this just made me laugh? :D

anything with the word coccyx is bound to be funny.

(I was going to say something along these lines too)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
What side I or others walk doesn't really bother me as long as it is fast and smooth.

BUT! Watch what you do with your damn umbrella. Some people have no idea.:mad:

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth

;)

Pretty much the same for me, apart from in Birmingham and not London.

Oh and do wish people would look where they are going and not read the bloody newspaper while walking along.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I walk on the right like cars drive.

I noticed that in countries that drive on the left side of the car natives tend to walk on the left side of the road.

In Bermuda thats how you can pick out an American. ;)
(and thats my own joke)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Etiquette dictates that you shall not take your damn time walking on the sidewalk whilst blocking it with a baby in a monster pram that takes up the entire sidewalk. Get out of my way, because I have places to be! :p

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
i tend to walk to the right by default. although it all depends on whats in my way too. i'm not a slow walker so i'll go around people whichever way is easiest.

Same here. I usually walk much faster than most people, so I try to stay on the right as much as possible, but will go around others if they're going at granny-speeds. :p (no offense to grannies o/c).

I walk on the right like cars drive.

I wasn't aware cars drove...;)

I noticed that in countries that drive on the left side of the car natives tend to walk on the left side of the road.

This does make sense from a societal point of view. The road establishes a general rule which everyone knows (most people either drive, are driven, or have been near a road in their country so they are more aware of this than any other "right of way" policy).
In Bermuda thats how you can pick out an American. ;)
(and thats my own joke)

Naw, the funky beach shorts, accent, and general aura of confusion ought to do that. :p

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa

;)

I also thought I should add that this quote made my day! :D When I was there as a tourist over Easter I tried very hard not to be a "gawker" in the street but it's kind if difficult to avoid since London has such a rich heritage. Also I wasn't 3 or 4 abreast so maybe that's what saved my coccyx. :p

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Chest out, chin up, arms down and flared outward, both hands in a fist. Walk straight down the center of the sidewalk and don't move for anyone. Psycho look on your face.

Men will fear you. Women will want you.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Where ever somebody else isn't. ...and in foreign countries I check to make sure I'm not in the bike lane (you only need to make that mistake once).

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Unless the sidewalk is really wide or there's people coming the other direction I'll walk in the middle. Otherwise, I stay to the right.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I walk on the left here and the right in the US. Anybody walking on the wrong side gets run into. And if you could see me you'd know they were getting a mother of a run down.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I tend to stick to the right, It just comes naturally. I don't really think about it. I think thats the way most people walk in the U.S. When I was in school they told us to walk on the right side of the hallway. We have a walking path by the river where I live, and they have a sign that says "Share the Trail, keep right" It seems that right seems to be the most popular side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.