Sideways Scrolling in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by T3hPreacher, Jun 17, 2011.

1. T3hPreacher macrumors member

Had a quick question as I consider whether I'll anticipate an upgrade to Lion this summer (or fall, after 10.7.1 comes out).

How does OSX now handle the sideways scroll? Currently, two fingers up and down, or side to side, will scroll you throughout the screen. However, in the demonstration of Lion in Safari, two fingers to the side takes you forward and back in your browsing history. How do you scroll side to side?

2. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

From what I've heard, it scrolls normally until it reaches the edge of the page, at which point a further two-finger gesture will navigate back or forth in history in Safari. Don't know how it works in other apps such as the Finder or iPhoto though, if someone could tell us that would be great!

3. celticpride678

If the page is too wide, switching between pages using the slide won't work. If it's not too wide, then it will work.

4. idkmybffjon macrumors member

no, the behavior is that the page will scroll until the edge is reached at which point a little push will flip the page backwards.

5. celticpride678

Really? You should probably check that again...

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That's the way it's supposed to work. There's a bug in the latest update.

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Indeed it is a bug in the latest DP4 update. It's not quite an annoying a bug as the reload page bug from DP3, but still annoying nonetheless.

8. idkmybffjon macrumors member

oh wait, yup just checked it again. I've been using various release on my dev machine since february. this is absolutely the way it works. just because there is a bug in the latest release does not mean you should go around sharing false information.

9. capoeira4u macrumors member

no Back/Forward gesture

I normally use Firefox so I'm happy that two finger scroll still works here. What I'm not happy about is that 3 finger swipe now control Spaces, and the Back/Forward function is no longer available. This is huge step backward for Lion because this gesture was system-wide for app. Now to do Back/Forward, you've got to use the old keyboard shortcut cmd+[ or ]. :confused:

10. CSCalciano macrumors newbie

You can change it in preferences. I have the exact same gestures I used to with a few extra new ones added in.