Sigh....Is Windows (Outlook) better than Mac (Mail)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by owwo, Sep 21, 2011.

1. owwo macrumors newbie

So, I've been using Outlook Tasks on my PC, which is great because it'll pop up Task notifications and allow me to snooze them or dismiss them.

But, Mac Mail doesn't have a Task feature at all! I've also seen other Task-type software out there to install on the Mac, but they don't have the same functionality as Task notifications on Outlook.

For example, one of my Outlook Task notifications is a daily meditation/mantra of 5 sentences. In Outlook, the Task popup shows the whole mantra. But on the Task apps I've downloaded for my Mac, it'll only show the first line or two.

Here's a pic of something similar (4 bullet points, not the same as my 5 sentence mantra, but you get the idea being able to show the entire Task, and not just one or two lines of the Task like a preview.)

[​IMG]

Is there anything out there that can do this for my Mac?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, Outlook is much better than Mac Mail if you want the seamless integration with the calendar.

3. owwo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was afraid of...

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It seems that for anything feature-rich or in the work environment, Outlook is better.

But then you're going to have to deal with emails in your inbox in New Times Roman if someone sends a message to you in Helvetica. :p Outlook has a very bad compatibility as far as displaying messages goes. Click on my signature and you can see the compatibility.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Most Apple software follows the 80/20 rule in spades. It'll be "good enough" for 80% of the users, and 20% will look elsewhere. You, my friend, are that 20%.

6. owwo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a perfect example for my scenario! To put another spin on it, when I was using my PC, I thought it was 80% good enough for the things I needed to do...and the remaning 20%? It wasn't good enough because of all the viruses/trojans/worms that the PC would get infected with.

I still wish my Mac had the overall functionality of MS Outlook's Task application though...

7. goMac macrumors 603

8. owwo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, i do...I was holding out for a Mac only software solution, but looks like I may have go this route.

9. DigitalDisease macrumors newbie

iCal -> View -> Show Reminders

Create a new reminder on your exchange task calendar, also works on gmail. You can then set a due date. I haven't tested to see if it will display an alert for the due time, but I'd be surprised if it didn't since it looks like it would just piggy back on the ical notifications.

10. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

just want to say that i bought and was using Outlook 2011 since launch and until 3 weeks ago when i had to painfully switch back to Mail. Outlook 2011 had me so excited to get back to one of the few things i missed from windows when i left 7 years ago. however i had to leave it as much as it looked like what i missed it was a resource HOG and didnt sync anything but iCal and not well as well as would not sync with Google calendar.

i was sad when i had to go back but it is just not the Outlook you had with windows.

11. owwo thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a decent app, but doesn't have the features of customizing task alerts to pop-up at designated times.

For example, in Outlook, I had my Task notification pop-up at 8am everyday, which I would then snooze for an hour and have it pop-up again later.

12. tootall macrumors regular

Personally I hate snoozing, just get up and get it over with! :D

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OP Mail is not a competitor to Outlook. Outlook is more of a desktop mail/scheduling/reminder type app (thats actually simplifying it) where as mail is simply a desktop mail client.

You could give Mozilla Thunderbird a try, it may have what you are looking for. Its much closer to Outlook than Mail is.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I've used Outlook for Windows since it came out for the first timea all the way to Outlook 2003. I do support clients using the latest version too.
    Now, having Office 2010 for Mac, I would still stick to Apple Mail's solution.

Ironically, I do access an Exchange Server regularly, and I do it on both my Mac and iPad with Apple Mail.
    I just need to communicate via email, not to compose funstuff to send via email. There are other apps ment for that.
    Plus, every document that doesn't require editing by the recipient, I prefer to send as PDF.

So with Apple's solution, you get Mail and Calendar. I believe Tasks are coming soon if these are to here yet.
    Most 'extra' Exchange Server features are hardly ever utilized in the real world.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's Why

I had to fork out for two copies of Office for Mac....I only really use Word and Outllook. The only client that has a few add ons with a calendar etc. Is Thunderbird, but Outlook it's not.:mad:

16. trip1ex macrumors 68000

POst-It Notes are cheap and platform-neutral.

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I use Outlook at work and Mail+iCal+Address Book at home. My "home" includes part time teaching and I also copy all Outlook appointments to iCal so I have them with me on my iPod Touch (no iPhone).

My Apple environment gets far more of a workout than my Outlook environment and I find it far more productive. Outlook may have more features but they don't seem to be what I need and I'm constantly finding the "ribbon" interface confusing. I'd be much happier if work was all Mac, but I know that's never going to happen.

18. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I use Mac Mail and iCal, as well as Address Book on an Active Directory/Exchange 2010 network daily. I tried Outlook 2011, but it's too heavy IMO. Meaning, it's bloated like all the other MS products. Mail is light, quick and easy to use. iCal is fine too. I can schedule meetings, resources, etc. with no problem at all.

Like one other said, tasks are coming. Not available yet, at least as far as I can see?

19. owwo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm hoping it'll come soon (crosses fingers)...