iPod Sigh... they stole my iPod

Synapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
243
0
Rome, Italy
:(

I was at one of my company's buildings all day today for some assessments (I am the assessor).
After the first few assessments in the morning, I went for lunch and left my bag in one of the rooms, which was going to be closed until my return.
As a matter of fact, when I was back the room was indeed closed and I had to call someone to open it.

When going back home, at 8PM, I realised I didn't have my iPod in the bag. I rushed back to the offices but it was nowhere to be found.

Sob... it was a brand new 5.5 30GB white beauty, and the first one I had engraved. :( ("I wanna be the minority" was the line - from a Green Day song).

Oh well, I'm back to the first generation silver mini for now...

Sorry, just needed to tell someone!
 

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
4,355
1
Well that sucks. Be sure you register it stolen with Apple. They will <do something> if it's ever brought or sent in for service.
 

xxstatic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
75
3
Wow that just stinks.:mad:
I know what its like and that feeling just doesn't want to go away.
I hate thieves.:mad:
 

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
1,421
2
London
Apple should do something for ipods like that like when its connected to a computer connected to the internet and the serial number would come up as stolen and the ipod starts displaying a image saying this ipoid is stolen and if nothing gets done the ipod will start bleeping (built in speaker (click wheel click sound) and then bleep really loud and in the end just cut out. But shame dude that sucks.. I wouldnt know what i would do if myipod was stolen. :(
 

Synapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
243
0
Rome, Italy
Thanks for the replies guys... yeah, I can confirm it really sucks... I hate thieves in general but this time I would be less mad if they got my cash instead of the iPod... I don't know, it felt like such a personal belonging...

Thanks mrgreen4242 for suggesting to register it stolen with Apple. I will do so... might not do anything to the thief but the idea of locking him out of any support is still a small virtual satisfaction...
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,366
978
New England
mrgreen4242 said:
Well that sucks. Be sure you register it stolen with Apple. They will <do something> if it's ever brought or sent in for service.
When my wife's silver mini was stolen Apple assured me they couldn't do anything about it. :(

I saw a truck for these guys on the freeway yesterday and it seems like it might be worth a shot to rgister w/them: http://serial.stealitback.com/ as well as filing a police report.

B
 

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
318
0
always sucks the hear that happen to someone, that happened to someone in my school by it was recorved becuase someone saw the person using it and the verified it using the serial number.
 

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
918
0
San Francisco, CA
even room is closed until you get back, I don't understand why you left your bag. in my case, whatever I do, my bag always comes with me. it's your fault. if you feel, something is valuable then you should get them in your pocket no matter what at least. Apple can do nothing about it. always careful. there are also a lot of people use notebooks in cafe. a lot of people go to toilet wihtout carrying it. somehow, somecase, somebody would steal it. actually it's been happened many times. even you don't use it, just left next chair when you drink coffee at airport, cafe, restaurant, stealing is happened within a second.
 

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
1,437
2
mrgreen4242 said:
Well that sucks. Be sure you register it stolen with Apple. They will <do something> if it's ever brought or sent in for service.
How do you register it as 'stolen' with Apple?
 

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
1,751
41
Niagara
archurban said:
even room is closed until you get back, I don't understand why you left your bag. in my case, whatever I do, my bag always comes with me. it's your fault. if you feel, something is valuable then you should get them in your pocket no matter what at least. Apple can do nothing about it. always careful. there are also a lot of people use notebooks in cafe. a lot of people go to toilet wihtout carrying it. somehow, somecase, somebody would steal it. actually it's been happened many times. even you don't use it, just left next chair when you drink coffee at airport, cafe, restaurant, stealing is happened within a second.
I think the guy already realizes what has happened... you don't need to scold him like some nun from Sunday school.
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,366
978
New England
Xcat said:
Question seconded. Mine was nicked a while back, and I was under the impression Apple wouldn't give a damn.
I called AppleCare when my wife's mini was stolen and was told exactly that. They have no mechanism for flagging anything as stolen. The kind helper (who sounded like he was in India) gave me a non-toll-free phone # for Apple Security, which turned out to be the Campus Security at Infinite Loop. :rolleyes: LOL.

You could register it at the site I pointed out earlier where if it shows up in police custody it'll get returned to you...

B
 

Synapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
243
0
Rome, Italy
lamina said:
I think the guy already realizes what has happened... you don't need to scold him like some nun from Sunday school.
lol... yeah, I got my lesson...

The thing is that the building is supposed to be safe... there's security everywhere and nobody without a badge (either employee or visitor) can access it... there's even an x-ray machine and metal detector desk at the entrance for all visitors.
I mean, my company deals with aerospace and defense systems, there are documents classified as international secrets everywhere and security is indeed very tight...
Obviously, this doesn't apply to personal belongings it seems...
I'm going to file a report to security today, as there is a video-security system in every room... hopefully the cameras were actually working yesterday, instead of being disconnected as sometimes happens.

Anyway, from now on the iPod is coming with me for lunch...
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
Synapple said:
lol... yeah, I got my lesson...

The thing is that the building is supposed to be safe... there's security everywhere and nobody without a badge (either employee or visitor) can access it... there's even an x-ray machine and metal detector desk at the entrance for all visitors.
I mean, my company deals with aerospace and defense systems, there are documents classified as international secrets everywhere and security is indeed very tight...
Obviously, this doesn't apply to personal belongings it seems...
I'm going to file a report to security today, as there is a video-security system in every room... hopefully the cameras were actually working yesterday, instead of being disconnected as sometimes happens.

Anyway, from now on the iPod is coming with me for lunch...
I was going to ask you about the security at the building where you were working. You would think they would be apologetic and concerned that they have a theif in their midst. Keep us updated.
 

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
349
0
Cold Copenhagen
Synapple said:
lol... yeah, I got my lesson...

The thing is that the building is supposed to be safe... there's security everywhere and nobody without a badge (either employee or visitor) can access it... there's even an x-ray machine and metal detector desk at the entrance for all visitors.
I mean, my company deals with aerospace and defense systems, there are documents classified as international secrets everywhere and security is indeed very tight...
Obviously, this doesn't apply to personal belongings it seems...
I'm going to file a report to security today, as there is a video-security system in every room... hopefully the cameras were actually working yesterday, instead of being disconnected as sometimes happens.

Anyway, from now on the iPod is coming with me for lunch...
Aside from the theft I would love working in your building. Aerospace and defense contracts - that's so cool. I bet you guys and girls are getting a good pay every month, still I cannot accept the fact that someone with a good earning would want to steal :confused:

Keep us posted if the security team finds someone redhanded on camera stealing you ipod. Give him/her some assualt (which under law is also recognised as shouting, scolding, making the person feel threatened, mental abuse, name-calling etc.) from me
 

Synapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
243
0
Rome, Italy
ironjaw said:
Aside from the theft I would love working in your building. Aerospace and defense contracts - that's so cool. I bet you guys and girls are getting a good pay every month, still I cannot accept the fact that someone with a good earning would want to steal :confused:

Keep us posted if the security team finds someone redhanded on camera stealing you ipod. Give him/her some assualt (which under law is also recognised as shouting, scolding, making the person feel threatened, mental abuse, name-calling etc.) from me
You can bet if they ever find the culprit I'll make him learn every kind of possible synonym of the word "assault"!

In terms of my colleagues getting a good pay, I can confirm this and assume none of them might be the thief... hell 99% of them has an iPod (or multiple iPods) already...

Also, there were a number of candidates wandering around waiting for the assessment to start but I can't imagine somebody applying for a job actually risking to screw it all by stealing an iPod from the bag of the assessor on their first visit to the company!

All that remains is the security guys, who also happened to be the ones who closed the room after I left for lunch. Still, I can't believe somebody from security might risk losing its job for a $300 gimmick. Unless they knew the cameras weren't on yesterday... mmmh... :eek:

I'll keep investigating...
 

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
349
0
Cold Copenhagen
Synapple said:
Still, I can't believe somebody from security might risk losing its job for a $300 gimmick. Unless they knew the cameras weren't on yesterday... mmmh... :eek:

I'll keep investigating...
Vanishing iPods? This is just the tip of the iceberg! What might our friend Synapple find next on his conquest? A conspiracy so deep in the routes of the American Corporation History that if unlocked might shake the very foundation that our forefathers built. Find out next time you tune in to the Twilight Mac Forums. [Play Twilight Zone Music] :eek:

And.. Cut! ;)
 

macdell

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
1
0
Apple will monitor stolen iPods?

Well that sucks. Be sure you register it stolen with Apple. They will <do something> if it's ever brought or sent in for service.
Is that so? Will Apple OR iTunes report a stolen iPod? Good!! I hope so.

Here is the Serial Number to look out for, ITunes:

JQ509F6WSAY

Let me know if who ever has it wants something from iTunes!! I am counting on you and Apple to help me find my son's stolen iPod. He needs it to help him concentrate in school - it helps him to focus. His iPod is what the field of education calls assistive technology. It has been stolen from him.

Apple/iTunes - step up to the plate.
 

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
510
207
Manchester, UK
I must say I'm sorry to hear that. However, I've heard of this happening a lot - a popular one is to remove one of the multitudes of credit cards that we have these days as it often takes days for people to notice.
 

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
2,060
464
UK
Seriously, maybe archurban's time would be better spent studying his third grade grammer lessons.:rolleyes:
Grammer?! People in glasshouses … :D :D :D

Sorry to hear about that Synapple, horribly frustrating. I had my first PowerBook stolen in the middle of the night at home. Came downstairs when the burglar alarm went off just in time to see someone go out of the window with it. Always take this one upstairs with me now.

I'd very much like to know whether the videos showed anything. Think you should tell whoever's in charge of security if you haven't done so already.
 

Similar threads

  • Haemoglobin
1
Replies
1
Views
50
  • bertomactic
0
Replies
0
Views
110
  • Fusionskies
6
Replies
6
Views
310
  • kht410
14
Replies
14
Views
747
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.