Signal Encrypted Messenger 2.19 Update Finally Available Following App Store Hiccup

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Encrypted messaging app Signal pushed out its v2.19 update late on Friday after a post-release 48-hour delay, owing to an App Store issue that Apple has now resolved. The update includes a number of new features and improvements, including full UI display support for iPhone X.

After the update is applied, users will no longer see the "Load Earlier Messages" link within chat threads, because additional messages now appear automatically upon scrolling to the top of a conversation.

[​IMG]

In other improvements, a new simplified interface has been introduced to the Signal mobile app that aims to make sending photos, files, and GIFs easier and quicker. For example, attachment previews are now displayed directly in the message bar instead of on a separate confirmation screen.

Adopting a design concept popularized by Facebook Messenger known as "Jumbomoji", emoji characters are now also visibly larger in Signal chat bubbles that don't contain any other text. Elsewhere, messages that fail to send have been made easier to spot and re-send, while a new "Tap for More" option should make navigating extremely long messages a more pleasant experience.

The list of supported languages has also been expanded to include Burmese, Hebrew, and Persian, while users with an external keyboard linked to their device can now make use of new key combination shortcuts for sending messages (Shift + Enter, and Command + Enter).

Apart from the above changes, Open Whisper Systems has revamped the layout code to improve performance and flexibility, so everything should feel smoother and more refined, according to the developers. Lastly, a number of bugs have been fixed, including one where recently sent messages sometimes reappeared after being deleted.

Signal Private Messenger is a free download [Direct Link] for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store.

Article Link: Signal Encrypted Messenger 2.19 Update Finally Available Following App Store Hiccup

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Great new for those trying to get in contact with their dealers on their shiny new iPhone X’s

3. Col4bin, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Please give me a few non-nefarious examples of why an encrypted messaging app would be necessary? (Seems great for criminals and the tinfoil hat crowd.)

4. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

For a completely private conversation. Just like if I "whispered" something to you and said that it's between you and me. Maybe my SSN, or medical information. Also, does the Government and NSA and the Telco's need to track and catalog EVERYTHING that is said to bundle and sold to marketing companies? Encryption is everywhere and it's a necessity to function in the internet world.

5. cteel2004 macrumors newbie

Two reasons
    - you’re a doctor, attorney, or some other professional that needs to communicate confidential information to your client that’s not in the room.
    - you’re the one person in your family that can fix the home network and need to send them the WiFi password that they haven’t written down or have lost, and you’re out of town.

6. mainomega macrumors 6502

LOL. The imessage encryption inst strong enough for your home wifi? The NSA is wanting to get free wifi off of you?
    Also, Doctors are already allowed to send information through non-encrypted e-mail. The only time a lawyer would use this would be if his client was some drug dealer and he was texting the location of the multiple bodies he has buried. Otherwise they would use plain old email.

The only time this is really needed is if you are planning a terrorist attack or if you are sending those dick pics to your bae.

7. imas145 macrumors newbie

imas145

Hate to break it to you, but repressive governments exist. While I'd put the US in the middle, there are still a lot worse out there and if you wish to talk about social issues without being repressed you need encryption. This is a reality for many people and they rely on these apps to communicate.

8. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

You need to get educated on this. Example, FB Messenger by itself is NOT encrypted and FB reads everything with algorithms that get cataloged and tied to your FB profile and phone number. Helps with targeted ads among other things. Now, there is a feature in FB Messenger called Secret Conversations. That makes the entire conversation end to end encrypted with timers. Guess what is used for that? Whisper Systems encryption, the same company that makes the Signal Messenger product. Whisper Systems encryption is used in FB Messenger (1.3B users), WhatsApp (1.3B users) and Google's Allo.

If it is NOT encrypted, someone is applying an algorithm that is analyzing that data for ads, marketing or for whatever. Everything from the NSA, Governments around the world, marketing and advertising companies like Google and Facebook. Sometimes, when warranted, we don't want anyone knowing our personal stuff. Yes, bad guys use it too but through out history, there has always been private conversations between human beings. BTW, your email is not encrypted either unless you use a product called ProtonMail. Gmail, Outlook.com and Apple Mail scan your emails for spam and gmail harvests that information for building that advertising profile. Recently they said that they are going to stop doing that practice.

Your not completely correct that "if you are planning a terrorist attack or if you are sending those dick pics to your bae." Sometimes its a private conversation with your spouse. Or I'm giving credit card information to my kids that they need in a emergency at college. Encryption is used everywhere, banking, finance etc. BTW, the White House and Congress uses Signal.

9. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Oh ok, so tinfoil hat crowd. Zzzzzzzz

10. mittencuh macrumors member

mittencuh

You can't think of any reason why people might want strong encryption besides dick pics or attacks? You're very trusting of governments.

11. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Yeah cause everyone is out to get you, and the regular iOS message app isn’t secure enough. :D

12. imas145 macrumors newbie

imas145

Just because you don’t need it doesn’t mean there isn’t anyone who needs it. If you want to know why, read my earlier post in this thread.

13. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

iOS Messaging app DOES have end-to-end encryption and are safe. But guess what, not everyone uses an iPhone. I still need to send private stuff to someone who has Android. That is why these apps like Signal and WhatsApp are needed.

14. makr macrumors member

Because they can, they don't need a reason let alone an example you like.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2017 ---
    People may want to use it and there are apps they can use for free, so they use it.
    If you need encryption when sending dick pics or when planning an attack, its your problem.

15. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

Legitimate business, whistleblowing, legal stuff, flirting, family stuff, employment prospects...

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If you plan to send credit card info - encrypted or not, you are not that concerned about security.....

17. sploogens macrumors newbie

sploogens

People please! Don’t waste your time trying to explain why encryption is necessary, let the gmail users be ok with google going through their emails.

I, for one, live in a world full of governments that track everything you do and say and claim greater good. Keep your MXit, people, I’ll stick to Signal. You don’t need to know my reasons and I won’t ask for yours.

18. fairuz, Dec 2, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

- You live somewhere that blocks information and are doing something that's technically illegal there for no good reason, like using a blocked social media site.

- You live in the US... or really anywhere... and know some gov't employee will have his frikin Windows XP computer hacked and leak sensitive info (maybe you sent your SSN or bank info).

- You're not afraid of the government, but you're afraid of private entities that will go after you for your words (which they have the right to). Real examples: You're a Republican working for Google, a Harvard admit sending offensive memes to your friends, a Trump-supporting business owner in San Francisco, or a communist in the South.

- You have some views or other info that could cause your nation's gov't to mistake you for someone else and prosecute you. Maybe you're just vocally supporting Kurdish statehood in Iraq and get charged with PKK terrorism in Turkey. Or for similar reasons you get mistakenly arrested for supporting a coup along with 47K others in Turkey.

- You live in the UK and are campaigning to divest from Israel, but you don't want to be charged with "antisemitism" (thought crimes are a thing there) or have some private entities find out. There was a similar situation temporarily in a Texas town where you weren't allowed to receive hurricane aid if you showed anti-Israel sentiment, but chances are that ended since it's easy to rule unconstitutional.

19. fairuz, Dec 2, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Often time you have no choice. Unfortunately, most of the dominant payment systems in the US force you to trust the seller.
    Well, it's not secure. Apple can see it all. I use it anyway, but I currently have little reason to worry and little at risk.

Also, note that Signal (or anything else) is fundamentally insecure in a way unless you manage the public keys by hand, which I doubt the non-experts are doing. So all these average paranoids oughtta check themselves.
    Dunno about US in the middle. I'd say they're among the least repressive. Europe simply does not guarantee freedom of expression, nor do they even pretend to. Some countries would be ok except that they're corrupt, so they can screw you over depending on who you badmouth.

This is a big enough deal to me that I have to force myself not to get distracted too much by it, and I'm happy with how committed the US is to freedom of expression.

20. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I meant send CC details in messenger . Where if someone gets access to the device , they can read the plain text message

21. cteel2004 macrumors newbie

No offense, but if you think the only people trying to snoop on sensitive information about you are the NSA then you're living a very naive life. From every day individual criminals who hack to foreign governments (especially if you travel internationally much). There are a whole range of people that would want to digitally snoop on people who live totally legitimate lives.

For doctors, my opinion is they should not use unencrypted emails given the number of email scams that exist out there. I'm surprised HIPAA allows that (it may not, but I could be wrong). And even if it does, just because HIPAA allows something doesn't mean its the smart way to go. Think about the number of medical records that have things like birthdays and social security numbers on them. Great way to have a patient's identity stolen.

An example for lawyers other than your drug dealer example might be intellectual property lawyers trying to protect the intellectual property rights of their clients. Think the classic secret recipe for the McDonalds Big Mac. A simplified example, but a valid one for an attorney for legitimate purposes.

And just because something is "strong enough" in your opinion, doesn't mean it should be what I'm limited to. When it comes to communicating any sensitive information I should be able to use the best available to protect my information, my family's, and my clients'. iMessage is good, but it has its weaknesses. Signal is better.

What right does anyone have to tell me I can't use the better, more effective option? And the argument of "if you don't have anything to hide" is not a valid argument under US Constitutional Law by multiple Supreme Court rulings. Rulings that come down to one simple standard, that people have a constitutional right to privacy. Just because intelligence agencies can't break the encryption and the mechanism of Signal is not a compelling enough reason under the constitution to deny people access to a better option in the marketplace.

Now here's another example. Take yourself out of your western mindset and look at the average citizen living under oppressive regimes like in China, Russia, or Iran where if you have beliefs that the government considers illegal (freedom of speech in China, homosexual rights in Russia, religious freedom in Iran, plus numerous other examples). If you fall into one of the groups that those governments choose to discriminate against, wouldn't you want an app like Signal in that situation where in many cases their lives and their families' lives are at risk?

22. nnoble macrumors regular

Save me from your ‘holier than thou’ stance. If you’re a that rare bird that is happy to foist your private matters onto the public arena, then why did this thread even attract your attention? Do you need to be seen to protest?

23. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Quoting this message from pure appreciation!

My faith in the MR community has been restored. Cheers to everyone that made awesome points validated with facts and useful information.

24. MacknTosh macrumors member

I have the right to speak privately with my friends. I don’t have to justify why.