signal loss is NOT just iPhone 4.....its iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bina12834, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bina12834 macrumors regular

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Got a 3g and a 3gs on ios4 and they are not doing crazy things like losing signal bars if I touch one of the corners. Getting the same exact reception I was getting on 313.

I'm sure Apple will release some kind of software fix so it looks like you aren't losing any signal bars, but in reality the hardware issue will be harder to fix.

3. emaja macrumors 68000

I'm not sure how a software issue would manifest itself through touch. Not saying it can't, but maybe someone can explain that to me.

4. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

thats what my initial thoughts were too, but theres video proof.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I took a look at those videos and tried to replicate the loss on my 3g and 3gs, I completely covered all sides and the back of the phone with both hands for several minutes and the signal bars did not budge. Maybe it's an issue with some phones on ios4 and not others?

6. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, maybe....the point of this thread was to make people stop freaking out and claiming that its the new antenna system on the iphone 4

7. computermilk macrumors 6502

Yes i can explain it to you.

Bad code., and trust me.. it's advanced code.

Think of it like this, All things EFFECT everything.

I'm not saying it IS this, but imagine that it's something simple like the screen brightness being 60% in iOS4, and somewhere in that code it's causing an anomoly in the software that's written for the hardware radio.

That's why it's sporadic as well. Maybe it's related to iOS4 but also settings.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm just afraid Apple will cover it up and make the signals look strong even if they are weak. Kind of like how I will drop a call, look and see I have full signal bars, something funky is going on under the hood IMO.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

But what input would putting your hands on the phone provide that would cause the software to malfunction? You're not touching the touchscreen or a button, you are just making an electrical connection to the antenna. Just curious, but I'm technically clueless so I'm genuinely asking.

11. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

yea....the AT&T network...or so some are claiming. I live in the DC metro area and rarely have dropped calls, so i dont have a problem with AT&T.

12. computermilk macrumors 6502

Oh yeah i started that thread :) I was having trouble finding it because it dropped off the front page.

13. thep33t macrumors regular

This is good stuff, it is hard to pay for entertainment like this at work.

As Apple has stated, it updated the algorithm it uses to pick which channel to use for its cell signal. Before, it always chose the highest powered one, regardless of the congestion on that channel. This caused massive issues for everyone involved, especially in high iPhone areas where everyone was flooding that one band. Now, it chooses the BEST band, which a lot of times is not the highest powered one.

The phone used to 'lie; about its signal', which is why it almost always had full bars. Now, it is showing the power level of the band it is using. (Which, if we remember from before, is a lot of the time a lower power). As it switches the channels, it changes the display.

Obviously, there is a true issue with the antenna being unshielded in the frame of the phone, Apple should know better. I learned that is my freshman level Engineering class, someone ought to lose a job over that.

14. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

It's been said ad nauseam in both big threads. No matter what, the 3G and 3GS didn't just launch with a ton of fanfare so obviously the 4 is going to get more attention.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah I rarely drop calls also, really only once every couple of months and only in my office for some reason, but it always freaks me out that I have FULL signal bars when I do drop the call.

16. computermilk macrumors 6502

Well think of it as voltage.

Sounds to me like they have software written already in place to assume someone is touching the iPhone bands, or the outside of the iPhone.

And maybe this bug is causing an anomoly in that code to not function correctly.

17. dojoman macrumors 65816

You're right. I was able to duplicate this with my 3GS without any case on. It drops 2 bars but it took a few seconds. You have to hold the phone with left hand with full palm on the back.

18. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, it was all the way back in page 5 or 6....i just figured i would make a new thread with both videos in the 1st post to make it easier

19. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

really?....the 3G didnt launch with as much fanfare? the jump from 2G to 3G was pretty big

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

21. Floyd26 macrumors member

Having the same problem with my 3G, ever sense I downloaded ios4, at first I thought it was because i jailbroke 4.0, well now I see it's probably not that

STEVE NEEDS TO GET ON HIS "JOB"

22. amini1 macrumors newbie

It's definitely a software issue. Ever since I upgraded to OS4 i have signal issues. I upgraded my wife's 3GS last night and she had issues all day today. I normally have a perfect 3G siganl sitting at my desk and yesterday and today could barely get any service at all. I'm on 3 in the UK so need 3G to have any data service at all.

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not sure if it's a "software" issue as the signal drop is rather drastic. However I will say this - ever since I updated my 3GS to iOS4 - the signal bars have been erratic.

I am also connected to a MicroCell.

24. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Not an iPhone user yet, but it's better for it to be a software issue than a hardware issue, right? At least if it's a software issue, you don't have to exchange the whole unit, just upgrade your software when a fix comes out (though that of course means we have to wait for a software fix).

25. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Correct. It would be nice if it was software. However I don't know at this point. Seems awfully weird like some have said that Apple missed this big of a flaw.