Signal Reception of the 6S models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Sep 25, 2015.

?

Has the reception improved in comparison to the previous models?

1. Yes, I feel a improvement

36.4%
  2. It is exact the same

47.0%
  3. No, I think reception has been dropped

16.7%
  1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Has the reception improved in comparison to the previous models?

2. The19th macrumors regular

It looks like it's a well received model. Critics have sung quite a bit of praise. People seem to generally like it so far.

Oh, did you mean signal reception?

3. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I mean the signal recpetion.

I have received my 6S Plus today and at T-Mobile Germany it's only a little bit worse than the 6.

4. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Worse??

5. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, a little bit. Signals on the previous 6 Plus is better.

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

and how are you testing to get these scientific results? looking at the reception bars wont do it

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Depends on where you live, Your Carrier, so asking whats your sig strength is too broad. Need to clarify Carrier and location. And this will not help you since I believe you really want to know about your location/carrier, not others I believe. Mine will fluctuate sitting in one place during parts of the day.

8. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can use the equipment on work (Nortel Networks) in Munich.

9. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I voted for a worse reception, but it is not so much, right on the margin.

I ran speed tests on 3 iPhone 6s and 6. I used Att and t-mo. 6s-s lost a bit, but also in a margin.

What I really don't like about 6s - it thinks slower to pick-up LTE from 4G on a " future" t-mobile map. No problem with Att, but it drops LTE to 4g, where 6 stays on LTE. iPhones 6s have -2-4 db lower signal than iPhones6. That's why in low reception zones they transfer to 4G faster than iPhones 6. I also think that 6s has more complicated algorithm of network quality and it is still "fresh".

The only think I don't like about iPhones 6s is that they are too hot when you restore them from iTunes. I had 9 iPhones done for my family and the company I work for. All of them are hot (couple more degree and you cannot hold them). Doesn't matter gray, silver.... Doesn't matter Pegatron or Foxconn. The build quality is better this year, Out of 9 only one had a small defect with a SIM slot.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I haven't got my 6+ anymore to compare but I think the 6S+ is identical as I'm still seeing the same number of signal dots. WiFi reception is noticeably better though.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It should have the same antenna...

Ooops .... Please don't speak about #antennagate again

12. imlynxy, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Yes, they are almost the same, right on the margin. I do believe they have different algorithm for signal strength (dots) for 6 and 6s, since 6s shows lower signal level in db in field mode, but the speeds and voice quality were the same. 6s looking for network slower than 6. But it is new device. All carriers are constantly tuning their networks with CA now, especially T-mo tries to build their "map of the future" :)

If I give iPhone 6 100 percent , I give 6s 98-99%.

You are right, I think it has same antenna, but RF receiver and the most important algorithms are different.

iPhone 6S has a pretty good reception. I think next iOS it is going also to improve a bit.

There is #antennagate for sure, but new model is very hot for a lot of people and it "locks" camera flash sometime. I haven't seen it on my phones yet.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Believe what you want, but the antenna is by far the most important part in signal reception.
    Yes, software algorithms could help a little bit, but with the same antenna you can't have much different results

14. imlynxy, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Antenna is important, but receivers, transmitters and algorithms of filtration have the same importance. If you have bad entry transistor or poor signal/noise filtration a "good" antenna never helps. In receivers every part has the same importance.

BTW: I changed my vote to the same reception...

15. babylonlarry macrumors newbie

babylonlarry

16. macduke Suspended

macduke

I feel like I need more time to evaluate this. My 6 Plus had some issues—especially in a certain area of town—that my iPhone 5 before it did not. When we moved to a new building at work early this year, I noticed my cell reception drop a bit and sometimes I would lose people on calls for brief periods of time. I haven't noticed any issues with that yet but I'll continue to monitor it. I'm on Verizon, which is pretty rock solid here in town. I just think overall I got a lemon with my 6 Plus. It had other issues too.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Please stay on-topic. If you want to discuss the performance of phones from other manufacturers, please use the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Signal dots to determine comparative reception strength in a mobile device is like asking what state I'm in to determine my exact location or measuring someone's weight in tons.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Surely it should be comparable 6+ to 6S+?

20. nowise macrumors member

I don't trust the bars, but I have noticed 6s+ dropping from LTE to "4G" a lot more than my old 6+.

21. ProMod macrumors 6502a

My 6S was constantly flipping back and forth between 3G and LTE, and where I always had 2-3 bars of 1X when making a call, I got only one and call quality suffered. Also saw "no service" in my home a few times and that has never happened before. It was burning through my battery as well. Swapped it out yesterday and the new one is much better.

22. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I've had my Verizon 6S for a couple weeks now. It seems to not have as good cell phone reception as my 5S which I had for two years. I share an office at work. If I'm on the phone I walk out of the office into an empty part of the building. No problem on the 5S but now I hear "Are you still there?" as I move. Sometimes the phone disconnects. Both phones were Verizon.

I've tried different cases - today I was using the Apple leather and it happened. Is there a setting I can adjust to help the signal reception?

Thanks,
    Trvlngnrs

23. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I have a theory about Apple phone reception. I've put an Aluminum bumper on my iPhone 6 and the LTE signal went from -100 to -92, a better signal. To me that makes no sense. A metal bumper should mess up the signal a bit. this only makes sense if the phone will at a certain level of signal degradation send more power to the antenna thus improving the signal reception (at a cost of battery life). I think a better antenna like you 6s over your 5s can receive calls and function with less power to the antenna which will appear to be a worse signal but the battery power savings is worth the slight drop. Therefore I think this is a battery life improving feature of the phone. The impact of the decrease in signal isn't significant.

This is my theory that only Apple can verify.
    (edit)
    I just reread your post and my theory wouldn't seem to apply because an automatic decrease in antenna power shouldn't cause a call to fail.

24. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Yep, not only fail, but worse reception, to a point where I'm walking around asking "can you hear me now?" Didn't occur with prior phone. Is it a defect I should return it over? Nearest Apple store is 120 miles away.

25. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Have a nice drive.