Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I had to sign for my Mini when it came UPS, I can't imagine the iPHone being different. I'd ask my driver but he was in a pissy mood last night, so I'm not talking to him until tomorrow.

But hey, sign up for UPS MyChoice anyway - it is cool!! :cool:

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I know that Apple has a nasty habit of requiring signatures for all previous deliveries via FEDEX, but I'm curious if someone will have to be present to sign for these UPS packages. The great thing about FEDEX is the ability to pre-sign but UPS generally won't allow that prior to the first delivery attempt.

Anyone know if these packages can be left at the door without signature? UPS leaves no-sig packages at my door all the time, but not sure if I need to be here Friday or not.

Lol good luck with UPS bro. It doesn't matter how many releases you sign or leave notes or any of that. If they don't feel like it's safe to leave it at your door they won't. One of the pleasures of dealing with UPS.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Not every package on the UPS truck is an iPhone, this plan would not work well.

During the other 364 days of the year, you are probably right But chances are, on this particular day, the likelihood of an iPhone being on the brown truck is increased dramatically

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
There is a reason for the signature, right?

So, if you pre-sign, you are shifting the responsibility from UPS to yourself.

And, as a valid question: If it gets stolen, are you ready to pay for a replacement? After all, you told UPS you are not worried about theft.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
I am a MyChoice member. When can I pre-sign? Can I do now or the day of?

I could NOT find an option on MyChoice for "pre sign". They do offer your ability to tell the driver where to leave the package for an additional $5 but you also have to be a premium member for that feature which is $40 a year.

When you get a shipping notice from Apple they usually give you the ability to download and print a signature page that you can stick to the door. At least they have in previous years.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I am a MyChoice member. When can I pre-sign? Can I do now or the day of?

I could NOT find an option on MyChoice for "pre sign". They do offer your ability to tell the driver where to leave the package for an additional $5 but you also have to be a premium member for that feature which is $40 a year.

To authorize shipment release (i.e. allow the driver to leave without a signature):

1. Log in to your My Choice account. You should be looking at the delivery calendar (or perhaps not if you're not a paid member).
2. Click "Preferences."
3. In the "Delivery Instructions" section, click "Edit" (on the right hand side)
4. Check "I authorize shipment release" and click Save.

(Disclaimer: I have a paid MyChoice account but this site indicates that Authorizing Release can be done on a free account. Perhaps the procedure is slight different but it appears it can be done.)

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
There is a reason for the signature, right?

So, if you pre-sign, you are shifting the responsibility from UPS to yourself.

And, as a valid question: If it gets stolen, are you ready to pay for a replacement? After all, you told UPS you are not worried about theft.
Just sign your name lefty, then you could always say "Someone else must have put that there, it's not even my signature"

Assuming your right handed of course.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
The UPS site says that access to the Calendar itself is a paid feature. :(

To authorize shipment release (i.e. allow the driver to leave without a signature):

1. Log in to your My Choice account. You should be looking at the delivery calendar (or perhaps not if you're not a paid member).
2. Click "Preferences."
3. In the "Delivery Instructions" section, click "Edit" (on the right hand side)
4. Check "I authorize shipment release" and click Save.

(Disclaimer: I have a paid MyChoice account but this site indicates that Authorizing Release can be done on a free account. Perhaps the procedure is slight different but it appears it can be done.)

Swampthing

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
This might be a dumb question, but if I am away that day & I am having someone there to house sit can they sign for the package?

It has to be an adult over 18 yrs old.

I've had literally hundreds of packages delivered to my doorstep in using them for over 30 years and my ripoff ratio is ZERO. Never had a single package stolen... and we are talking laptops, stereo equipment, kindles, scanners, etc... some even shipped in their original box with a label thrown on.

I have zero fear of it being stolen, I just want to make sure I can pre-authorize the release.

BTW one extra item: Heard on WTOP News this morning how FedEx was overjoyed at how much work they will be having on Friday delivering iPhone 5's. WTF, did they not get the memo? All the shipments I've seen thus far are UPS.

Swampthing

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I never have to sign anything with my UPS driver...I guess its the drivers discretion.

Actually it's the sender who makes the decision for a signature. Whether to leave a package on a doorstep with all signatures in place is the discretion of the driver.

Unfortunately Apple has a "nasty habit" of requesting signatures...

irishgreenapple

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
I want to leave directions to have the phone left with my neighbor. Do I just print the pre-sign form from my Apple account like I have always done with previous Apple products? This is the first time we will have UPS. All previous orders from Apple were FedEx. But I can see from the tracking that it is UPS this time.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I can only imagine what these forums will look like Friday evening if thousands of people come home from work and find "delivery attempt failed" slips, and the UPS pick-up offices on Saturday will be a complete mess.

Hmm...
That's not really an issue of concern.
Thousands of people .... in different areas in different UPS centers in different countries. At the end of the day, they'll still close at 20 hours or whatever their time is.

Regardless, this isn't the first "big" product launch.

Also I was talking to a UPS driver once amd he said that the drivers have to pay for Lost items. They don't really risk leaving things out like they used to.

walkman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Actually it's the sender who makes the decision for a signature. Whether to leave a package on a doorstep with all signatures in place is the discretion of the driver.

Unfortunately Apple has a "nasty habit" of requesting signatures...

Just to clarify, UPS makes decisions based on experiences in your neighborhood and your specific address whether they will leave a package without a signature. I guess the driver can also make a judgement call to NOT leave a package if he senses a problem.

But all of that is as long as the vendor doesn't 'require' a signature. A vendor will require a signature if they have a history of customer saying they never received the package and 'refusing' the charge with their credit card company. The credit card company will always remove the charge if there is 'no signature proof of delivery'.

So don't blame Apple or UPS/Fedex for a required signature -- blame your less honest countrymen.

Swampthing

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Just to clarify, UPS makes decisions based on experiences in your neighborhood and your specific address whether they will leave a package without a signature. I guess the driver can also make a judgement call to NOT leave a package if he senses a problem.

But all of that is as long as the vendor doesn't 'require' a signature. A vendor will require a signature if they have a history of customer saying they never received the package and 'refusing' the charge with their credit card company. The credit card company will always remove the charge if there is 'no signature proof of delivery'.

So don't blame Apple or UPS/Fedex for a required signature -- blame your less honest countrymen.

Apple ALWAYS requires signatures. Has nothing to do with history, it's their shipping policy to ensure someone actually receives the product.

I've never heard of a the policy related to the situation you describe. I've dealt with hundreds of companies over the years too. Please identify the company doing this...

camrun91

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
when you got the confirmation email from apple with the tracking number there is an order number click that it will take you to apples website. under your order there is a presign for this package option. it is a form that you have to fill out and leave on your door at home and they will leave it.

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
I don't know about other people but I actually like that they require signatures because I would be very paranoid that someone might take the package from outside my apartment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.