Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Nope. Blobs are useless at the moment.
They might be interesting for future developments. But no way to downgrade.

You are stuck.
[doublepost=1482319733][/doublepost]Still on 9.3.3 with the jbme way. Better than certificate route thanks for that tip..somehow skipped that

You've got to be ******** me!!! WTF? All weekend I read on Reddit and elsewhere that this new method of saving the blobs would allow us to down grade when the jailbreak came out. I saved them and it was for nothing? Why all the hoopla about them then? And why did so many people say we could downgrade? That really pisses me off, lost my jailbreak and now will have to wait for what? iOS 11 jailbreak? Unreal.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You've got to be ******** me!!! WTF? All weekend I read on Reddit and elsewhere that this new method of saving the blobs would allow us to down grade when the jailbreak came out. I saved them and it was for nothing? Why all the hoopla about them then? And why did so many people say we could downgrade? That really pisses me off, lost my jailbreak and now will have to wait for what? iOS 11 jailbreak? Unreal.

Sorry, I haven't heard any about this being able to downgrade with blobs thing. Mind showing me one of the links you talk about?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

Allegedly there is a tool in the works, prometheus, to downgrade, but it is unreleased and even unknown of it is real or fake.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
https://twitter.com/tihmstar/status/811917809055887363

If you’re on iOS 9 (64bit) jailbroken atm, stay there. You’ll be able to upgrade to 10.1.1 if you did that shsh2 thing right :)

Sounding very confident, I hope folks save their blobs
If this tool works, then even a tethered JB is welcome, I mean if you have a problem you have a route to a fresh install of iOS that is jailbreakable

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yep, pretty much.
Its good to have in case something does come out in the future that can use them to downgrade.
Basically its just a hope for the future.

Reactions: redbeard331

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

The other condition is that you will need to already be on a jailbroken iOS device to utilize the Prometheus tool (if and when it ever gets released)

The tool hasn't been released yet, but there is word that it's being worked on and will allow for those jailbroken on iOS 9.x (that have something enabled) to update to 10.1.1 with the shsh2 blobs

Are you a first time iOS jailbreaker? It usually is best to be on the safe side and be on a jailbreakable iOS version than to hope for a tool that'll allow you to upgrade/downgrade (we normally would not know if the jailbreak will come out for the latest version or an older one, but in this case, we knew the exploit being used was patched in 10.2)

Edit: tfp0 needs to be enabled for Promethus to work

And status update on the tool:

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I never got to do the shsh thing. I upgraded to 10.1.1 last week and I tried saving the shsh on my 6S+ and 6Son Tuesday. The page kept timing out due to too much traffic so I gave up and went to work. Came home and Apple had stopped signing 10.1.1 while I was gone so it was too late. I'm happy to be on 101.1. now and I still have a 6+ and 5S that are JB on 9.0.2.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Sorry, I haven't heard any about this being able to downgrade with blobs thing. Mind showing me one of the links you talk about?

I do not remember where i read that, I just know I read if you saved your blobs you'd be able to downgrade. The whole point of saving them was to downgrade with this supposed Prometheus tool that is coming out right? If we can't then why even bother? All the talk last weekend about saving blobs for what? The worst part about it is I had downgraded my phone, but for some reason iTunes didn't back up any of my health data even though I use encrypted backups. When I tried to restore my latest backup iTunes told me I couldn't unless I was on the latest version of iOS, so on Monday night I upgraded to 10.2 just to see if I could retrieve the months of health data I lost. It didn't work, so I planned on downgrading to 10.1.1 again on Tuesday, and then well you know how that ends. I just can't believe after all these months of waiting, I lost the ability to jailbreak, and lost all that data, for nothing. I wish people had been more clear about the blobs being worthless, I am a total noob when it comes to anything involving computers, so I may have missed something, I don't know. May not be another public jailbreak until iOS 11 now.
[doublepost=1482571071][/doublepost]
Allegedly there is a tool in the works, prometheus, to downgrade, but it is unreleased and even unknown of it is real or fake.

I thought it was real and coming out by the end of the month??

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/12/18/how-to-save-shsh2-blobs-prometheus-tsschecker/
[doublepost=1482571852][/doublepost]
The other condition is that you will need to already be on a jailbroken iOS device to utilize the Prometheus tool (if and when it ever gets released)

Holy ****, that doesn't even make sense, too bad these dudes didn't make this clear last week when they urged everyone to save their blobs so they could downgrade.

The tool hasn't been released yet, but there is word that it's being worked on and will allow for those jailbroken on iOS 9.x (that have something enabled) to update to 10.1.1 with the shsh2 blobs

So it's useless to anyone on iOS 10, yet I saved blobs for 10.1, 10.1.1, and 10.2. So weird.

Are you a first time iOS jailbreaker? It usually is best to be on the safe side and be on a jailbreakable iOS version than to hope for a tool that'll allow you to upgrade/downgrade (we normally would not know if the jailbreak will come out for the latest version or an older one, but in this case, we knew the exploit being used was patched in 10.2)

Edit: tfp0 needs to be enabled for Promethus to work

And status update on the tool:

Nah I've been jailbreaking since the iOS 2 days, but I'm very computer illiterate, I know how to follow instructions, download stuff from Cydia, and I've learned how to change icons in iFile but that's about it. Most of this stuff is way over my head.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I do not remember where i read that, I just know I read if you saved your blobs you'd be able to downgrade. The whole point of saving them was to downgrade with this supposed Prometheus tool that is coming out right? If we can't then why even bother? All the talk last weekend about saving blobs for what? The worst part about it is I had downgraded my phone, but for some reason iTunes didn't back up any of my health data even though I use encrypted backups. When I tried to restore my latest backup iTunes told me I couldn't unless I was on the latest version of iOS, so on Monday night I upgraded to 10.2 just to see if I could retrieve the months of health data I lost. It didn't work, so I planned on downgrading to 10.1.1 again on Tuesday, and then well you know how that ends. I just can't believe after all these months of waiting, I lost the ability to jailbreak, and lost all that data, for nothing. I wish people had been more clear about the blobs being worthless, I am a total noob when it comes to anything involving computers, so I may have missed something, I don't know. May not be another public jailbreak until iOS 11 now.

[doublepost=1482571071][/doublepost]

I thought it was real and coming out by the end of the month??

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/12/18/how-to-save-shsh2-blobs-prometheus-tsschecker/
[doublepost=1482571852][/doublepost]

Holy ****, that doesn't even make sense, too bad these dudes didn't make this clear last week when they urged everyone to save their blobs so they could downgrade.

So it's useless to anyone on iOS 10, yet I saved blobs for 10.1, 10.1.1, and 10.2. So weird.

Nah I've been jailbreaking since the iOS 2 days, but I'm very computer illiterate, I know how to follow instructions, download stuff from Cydia, and I've learned how to change icons in iFile but that's about it. Most of this stuff is way over my head.

It can used for those on the iOS 9.x jailbreak that didn't want to make the "leap of faith" and upgrade to iOS 10.1.1 and wait for the unreleased jailbreak (which at the time, may or may not happen)

It can't really be considered real until the product actually exists. Until the product is released, it is just a "supposedly"

I saw several threads on reddit jailbreak mentioning how tfp0 needs to be enabled for the prometheus tool to work (this is why a jailbreak is required). The Pangu iOS 9.3.3 jailbreak doesn't have tfp0 enabled, so that was the whole drama about it. But qwertyiop's iOS 9.3.3 jailbreak enabler that uses the Pegasus bug would enable tfp0 and allow for prometheus to work (I believe oddyseus was the same, requiring tfp0 to be enabled). But to be honest with you, I've never used any of this developer's tool so I can't say for sure what I know is correct

After it is released, it is useless for anyone on a NON-JAILBROKEN iOS 10.x device. From what I've read, as long as they're jailbroken on iOS 10.x with tfp0 enabled, then they can use the blobs to restore to any version they have blobs for (i assume that means both upgrade and downgrade, but not sure if the idea of shsh2 existed for iOS 9.x). And of course, you wouldn't want to "restore" to a nonjailbreakable firmware, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use the tool again since you can't jailbreak it

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Always be conservative when it comes to JB-ing.
Always stay on the lowest actual JB-able firmware (suggested by the original Dev-teams).

Don't always believe reddit or MR for that matter, there are a lot of people just yelling there heads off and alleging all kinds of things.

Sometimes it pays off not to upgrade and be patient, that also might mean missing out on the latest but at least be Jailbroken.

10.1.1 might get a stable JB, for now it is dev's only and really deep tech at this moment, I'm not even touching it....

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Always be conservative when it comes to JB-ing.
Always stay on the lowest actual JB-able firmware (suggested by the original Dev-teams).

Don't always believe reddit or MR for that matter, there are a lot of people just yelling there heads off and alleging all kinds of things.

Sometimes it pays off not to upgrade and be patient, that also might mean missing out on the latest but at least be Jailbroken.

10.1.1 might get a stable JB, for now it is dev's only and really deep tech at this moment, I'm not even touching it....

I don't think it's really deep tech haha

You sideload an ipa. Run it on iOS. And rebooot.

And there are some tweak fixes for iMessages and other things breaking. I remember a dev team jailbreak for ios4 doing the same on iphoen4.

I'm still patiently waiting for "stable" and safe 10.1.1

Saurik said substrate is good to go too and needs no adjustments. It's luca's doing

I'm excited should only be a few more days.

And normally lowest iOS is safe bet but I'm glad I'm on 10.1.1 over 10.0.2 more stable and portrait mode on 7+

3 months felt like 6 back on iPhone 5. Never again. I say this every time but seriously. Hopefully. Never

Seems dreamy to pick up an iPhone and jailbreak it same day. Wait I think I did that with 6+ and was only a month or couple weeks for 6s+

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
It looks like it may actually be possible to go from iOS 10.2 -> 10.1.1 if you have the blobs for both

But it'll be probabilistic. You just have to wait until the apnounce matches or something like that. I'm not too familiar with it

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Already closed loophole
No, they didn't. It was a coincidence that the Apple server went down when the tool was released, but it is back up. However, from my understanding reading /r/jailbreak, one thing that was overlooked during development was that using Prometheus breaks TouchID. So if you have a device that has TouchID and you want to keep it, the tool and blobs that we saved are now useless. There has been some success with others upgrading/downgrading with devices without TouchID but there could still be some unforeseen issues with the SEP and Baseband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.