Silly old Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christoffee, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

image.png
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2016 ---
    image.png
    And no matter how hard I try, it simply will not recognise mackerel

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Both worked for me without issue. UK accent maybe?

3. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

Purée is hit and miss. But mackerel is a never. I have tried emphasising the word at different points and enunciating the very best I can!

Edit: yup. British. But not Hugh Grant British!

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

5. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Siri is unbelievably useless, it cant even understand the word Mam, which is short for mother here in the UK.

6. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

image.png
    It will never recognise it first, but it's usually on the correct list.

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

LOL, silly old Brits, you have to speak English to Siri, like we do here in America.

8. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

That's stupid

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It was also intentionally tongue-in-cheek.

Cheeky, if you will.

10. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

It's funny this has come up. I'm a Brit and speak English with a neutral 'BBC' accent.

Siri has regressed noticeably the past few months. Similar as the OP she won't recognise words that she used to and gets reasonably easy words wrong.

Setting reminders is a lottery now as well:

"Remind me to email John in 1 hour". Siri: 'what do you want to be reminded about?'

"Add milk to my shopping list". Siri: 'tell me what you want to add to your shopping list'

Not every time but someone is fiddling with UK Siri and it ain't working.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You mean mum?

12. Z3man macrumors 6502a

No i mean Mam.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Can understand me many times either. I speak with a California accent, if there is such a thing.

14. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

I only occasionally use Siri, but I had noticed it getting worse. I thought it was just me.

Oddly, I find dictation reasonably reliable. Even when I talk fast or mumble a bit (which is more common on dictation as you are thinking, rather than a short clear command). But presumably they use identical technology.

15. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

This apply to french aswell. Words recognition has become significantly worse these days.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I never liked using Siri. I think the last dozen or so times I've actually activated it on purpose, I asked the name of the song on the radio while driving. I can't think of anything else useful that I can't do faster or more accurately myself.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple's privacy policy prevents associating Siri voice training with our user id. So Siri can only learn voices per temporary device-related id.

So if you switched devices, she has to start learning your voice all over again. (One of the reasons I much prefer per-user storage like Google does. I can buy a brand new device and Google already knows years of my voice training, and works perfectly from the start.)

Now, if the associated id is deleted or reset, the per-device learning is lost. This can happen if you went into settings and turned off Siri and Voice Dictation. I suspect it might happen on a full reset as well.

Did any of those things happen? (New device, or maybe a full reset on one, or fiddling with settings?)

18. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

Very interesting. New device in January. The price we pay!

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Simple solution, with a new device talk to Siri more. Have long in depth discussions. Maybe tell it your life story. Course when I do that with family and friends they seem to stop listening after a while as well. Maybe not just Siri.:rolleyes:

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think some of this privacy kick has gone overboard, throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I mean, what are people afraid of? A subpoena asking for our stored voice training files? Even a temp id doesn't prevent that. A Siri request could be monitored in a lab environment, which could reveal the associated Siri device identifier, which allows a direct lookup or request of those files. ("Give us all the voice clips for Siri temp id #12345")

I personally like very much that Google's user-associated voice recognition works so well, even in noisy environments, and immediately works on ANY device I own now or in the future. Of course, if you wish, you can turn off personal association in your Google Dashboard. I even did that once as an experiment, and it lost all its knowledge of my voice. Mistake!! It took a while to get back to the recognition quality that I was used to.

21. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

The last time I used Siri was when the 4S came out and everyone wanted to play with Siri.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Odd. I use it daily for reminders (especially location-based ones), taking a quick note, enabling alarms, checking sports scores/schedules, setting timers, quick basic calculations, Wolfram Alpha info, etc.

23. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

+1, me too.

It's often the case that critics of iOS are actually very light, casual users. They seem to be ignorant of any of the deeper functionality and integration. They also have a real reluctance to try to understand and work within the limitations of the software to get stuff done.

24. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

Well, you got it. Thank you.

My 6 was replaced in May due to a faulty battery. I didn't realise Siri relearned everything. Thanks again.