Silly question, but does iPad have a mic?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by copydeskcat, May 30, 2010.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Does the iPad have a mic, or does the headset?

I'm curious as to how apps like Shazam and Skype will work with it...?

2. bareskillz macrumors newbie

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Indeed it has, and Skype works pretty well, but it's painfully obvious how badly it needs video conferencing...

4. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thank-you.

I now have hilarious visions of me walking around the house with it held up to me ear like a phone.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

What people do not realize is the poor user experience of having a hand held device with a camera. Holding a device in your hand that shakes is a really crappy experience for the person on the other side. If u use a stand with the iPad that's another story.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Exactly! The other person would see something that looks like a scene out of the Blair Witch Project.

7. bluespark macrumors 65816

This sounds like a justification to me. First, as you acknowledge, many people would use a stand. Indeed, several of the iPad's functions assume stationary use (typing, for example). A camera for videoconferencing could easily be used in the Dock, on a stand, in the Apple (or similar) case, or propped on the user's knees, as per the current print ads.

Second, the iPad's mobility versus a laptop would make the camera particularly useful in certain situations. For example, my wife and I regularly videoconference with our parents so they can see their new granddaughter. Getting a baby up by the computer's camera can be a challenge at times, though. With a front-facing iPad camera, I could hold the iPad over my daughter's play area and catch her in a more comfortable element. People could similarly use an iPad camera while traveling. For example, I would love to show my wife what the cities I visit look like, and it would be far easier to waive the iPad in front of me than to do the same thing with a laptop. In those types of situations (and I can think of many more), even jerky video would be better than nothing, and it may be better than non-jerky but less portable laptop video.

Third, the perceived difficulties in videography wouldn't detract from anything else the device does. In other words, it would cause no harm, whether or not you chose to use it.

Fourth, it would be possible to compensate for some degree of jerkiness with image-stabilization software.

Fifth, I suspect Apple disagrees that this would compromise the user experience and simply withheld the feature from the iPad to give a boost to the new iPhone. What people are able to do with that feature on the iPhone (assuming the rumors are true) will provide an excellent means of testing whether a front-facing camera really provides a "poor user experience."

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

The reason apple withheld the camera is the same reason they with held 3G in the first iPhone. If they packed everyone of those cool features in the first gen device, there would be less incentive to purchase the 2 nd gen.

They put just enough into this one to make us want it. Then the next one will have this "got to have feature" of a camera and even though we bought the firstgen just a year earlier, we will buy the next one just cause it has something that we really want the device to have.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I am hoping that a camera attachment comes out that you plug into the charging port on the iPad, turn it upside down and voilà, a front facing camera. Seems very feasible.

10. iFerd macrumors 6502a

No one has mentioned where the microphone is: it is just to the right of the headphone jack. (At first I assumed that was near the speakers on the bottom. My results for voice recognition apps like Google and Dragon Dictation have improved since I learned this.)

11. Stainlessray macrumors newbie

Dock/kickstand + mobile device = same thing

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

it's that little hole on the back side in between the headphone jack and power button.