Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver vs Space Grey, which is the nicer colour ?

• Silver

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • Space Grey

Votes: 101 42.8%
  • Neither, I’m waiting for the Pro to be released in Fingerprint Midnight

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
The silver looks better when you're not the one using it. When using it however, I find the contrast between the keyboard and the body to be distracting and annoying in comparison to the space grey.

So I went with space grey, but both options are fine, nothing to lose sleep over, and I wouldn't waste time worrying if the grass is greener on the other side if you already have one.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I had silver MacBook Pros before the 14" model was released.
Bought the space grey version, and find myself "converted".

One proviso:
If you're trying to plug something into the ports in dim light, it's trickier on the space grey version.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
been running Space Grey since forever but saw a Midnight smudge M2 at an apple store and i'm getting that on my next MBP if it's available :D

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
You really can’t go wrong with either. But in this generation of MBPs (M1/M2 Pro/Max), I think silver has the edge for me. The contrast of the black keyboard tray and Apple logo looks really sharp with the silver. And you get the added benefit of hiding wear and tear better. Space gray is sleek but also a bit more monochrome. Both look nice though!

Last edited:
Reactions: ondioline

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I used to be all in on Space Grey but i've reverted to Silver. Classic and timeless look. Plus too many variations with Apple's Space Grey

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Honestly, the "best" color is the one you prefer, as it's a purely aesthetic choice. There's no difference in terms of system performance, stability, or longevity based solely on the color of your machine.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I don't have a macbook, but I went Space Grey on my iPad mini and Silver on my Pro. I think the silver feels more "elegant", even though space grey blends better with the front side, it feels a lot more airy and quaint than the "professional/hardcore" space grey. I like it.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Well, I now need to choose again which colour to go for as I'll be receiving a replacement due to a glitch on my M1.

Currently have Space Grey, but some of you guys might have converted me to Silver due to saying it has that timeless look. Anyone kindly care to show off and post pictures of their silver M1 or M2 please to convince me for sure?

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I had the silver for a while with my 14" M1 MacBook Pro. I wanted to go back to the 16" and it was a no brainer for me to choose the Space Gray option. I just prefer it I think over the silver now. If they came out with a black one I'd buy that in a second but I think the Space Gray looks the best.

Reactions: scouser75

ncm34

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Most don't, but everyone's needs are different. I just happen to have two MBP and it works for me.

My 16 ended up being my "desktop workstation" where it's connected to various peripherals and I didn't want to break down my setup everytime I needed to go mobile.

I was initially considering a M2 Air, but then the base MBP 14" went on sale. Base MBP on sale was $100 more than the configured M2 Air (8/10/16/512) I saved or $100 less than the 8/10/16/1TB available in store launch day.

I consume and work with a lot of HDR media and like my display blacks black. Decision was an easy choice - gotta go Pro.

Similar situation here, my 14" M1 Max ended up becoming my desktop and I just picked up a base 14" M2 Pro for admin work and web browsing. I was considering an Air to serve this purpose, but I felt the Pro - even in base form - is a notable step up from the screen on the Air (I could see the pixels in the Apple Store when side by side with the Pro, and now I cannot unsee it on the Air). The PPI difference is only 20 or so, but it feels much more significant in person.

The machines look pretty much the same from the outside but behave totally differently. The base 14" is great for web browsing and admin work, runs cool, and the battery lasts all day. The 2 extra efficiency cores definitely seem to help with keeping the power consumption at a minimum.

The 14" M1 Max, while it runs 15-20F hotter on average, is paired with 64GB of RAM and powers through software development workflows with ease. It mostly sits at the desk but still offers all of the power on the go.

The Apple Silicon world is honestly amazing and I never thought I'd be able to have a complete setup with just 2 portables, eliminating any need for a desktop tower for the heavy lifting.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
My last macbook pro was space grey. It was nice at first because of the novelty but after that wore off it just felt kind of meh. It is neither as nice as a darker color or as "clean" looking as a lighter color.

So silver it is. If they came out with a midnight color for the pros or made the space gray much darker (the way they did with the most recent iPhone slate gray) that would be nice.

Reactions: richard13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.