SIM Ejector Tool? Any Specific Reason Included with 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zildjian104, Sep 7, 2008.

1. zildjian104 macrumors newbie

Idk if this has struck anyone else curiosity but can anyone think of a reason why Apple would include an ejector tool for the SIM card? This reaks of future abilities to change the SIM card on an iPhone, both the new and old and any future since the tool works on the 3G and the original. This just stood out to me and I have been really curious why they would include it. Also, I compared the SIM cards on my original iPhone to my 3G and the SIM cards appear to be identical other than their different ID #'s. The old one says 3G on it like the new one does. Is this just because those are the SIM cards AT&T was using and they have the same graphic or does this hold some higher baring for our futures. Lastly, not to disturb anyones morals but has anyone figured out a way to change the IMEI # on a 3G yet?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

It's there to eject the sim tray.

As to why now and not with the 2st gen iPhone... Either they had a lot of tech problems with people using toobig of paperclips on the 1st gen and wanted to avoid further problems or the wider distribution of the 3G in other countries when they have to sell it unlocked means people will be swapping sims more.

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

because it looks a lot prettier having that neatly placed in the box rather than a paperclip in a plastic baggie that you have to bend out yourself after opening a nice new iphone box.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, the O.P. asked why Apple would want you to open the SIM tray at all. I'm not really seeing the "answer" here.

For what it's worth, I have no idea either.

5. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No it's not. It's technically not unlocked anywhere...at least by Apple's hand.

IMHO, Apple gave a sim eject tool in place of a dock because had they just removed the dock, we would have bitched. They figured a nice toothpick was somehow compensation. Either that or we could use it to poke our eyeballs out when we find out how crappy AT&T and 3G really is on the iPhone!

7. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

when my iphone broke i brought it back to apple and they swapped me out a new phone and switched the sim cards.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's sold by four different carriers here. The SIM ejector tool allows consumers to put the carrier-specific SIM card into the phone.

Also, if you buy it outright and unlocked here you can put your own SIM into it.

9. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

well, I bought my iPhone 3g - handset only, and I needed the sim eject tool to put my own sim into it. It would have been quite annoying without it as I didn't have any toothpicks/paper clips hanging around (from an official vodafone store.)

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Because the SIM isn't pre-installed? At least in the UK it isn't: When I got my 3G the SIM came in a separate envelope. Also, because I was upgrading, I didn't even use the new SIM: I took the SIM out of my old iPhone and put it in the new one

11. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

Also, because the iPhone 3G is plastic, using just any old paperclip-like implement would be more prone to cause scratches than a relatively non-marring precision tool.

12. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

it was a cheap response to a request made by some.

something that they can point their finger at and say "see, we listened"

13. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Maybe they included it since they new a lot of existing iPhone owners would be buying the new 3G. This way they could use it to switch from their old to new phone or back if necessary.

14. buddywalker macrumors newbie

Legit Reasons to open sim tray:
    -you can copy numbers off your old sim onto the iphone
    -you can switch between using your 3g or using your old phone (if you are going somewhere you dont wish to take your new phone, etc)
    -you can easily swap out in stores if it needs replacing
    -if you are jason borne and need to spy on people's calls

I dont think having to use a paperclip instead of a tool is going to discourage anyone who wants to unlock there phone from doing so

its an apple product, having to use a bent paperclip is kind of primitive and low scale in relation to the device

why is it a big deal, i have already used it like 3 or four times?

15. angrysnake macrumors newbie

Hong Kong IS unlocked

And the tool is useful traveling from Mainland to HK to Taiwan etc.

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Because it doesn't come with the SIM inside of it from the factory?

When I bought my iPhone I got a SIM card and the iPhone case wrapped up.

I then had to install it myself.

17. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

For anyone (in the UK at least) upgrading from the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G, you are required to take your existing SIM from your old iPhone and use it to replace the one in the iPhone 3G.

I assume that Apple anticipated enough people would upgrade to deem it useful to supply them with a little tool to help them do the job.

And not mess it up by using unsuitable objects.

18. onicon macrumors regular

onicon

In Germany too the iPhone comes without a SIM installed. That's why Apple put the ejector tool inside every box.

19. synagence macrumors 6502a

I bought mine in the UK on launch day and didn't get activated in-store and they just gave me the sealed iphone box and sealed SIM pack...

At home i had to install the sim etc .... Last year Apple sold the whole kit as a home-activation thing and a lot of people moaned that they had to find a paperclip to open sim tray ...

it was a fairly petty complaint but they have now included a "custom" sim tool... i thought it was a nice if very minor touch :)

20. ginguar macrumors regular

in the UK I needed it to remove my sim form my first gen phone to put it in my 3G.

not sure if other countries also did this but it was useful for me.

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I had to use it to upgrade my sim to a 3G one (and indeed to put my old sim into my iPhone) so I'm really glad they included it!

22. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it three carriers? Optus 'yes', Telstra and Vodafone?

Ams.

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Sure it is, and yes they do. From what I've read, the iPhones that are sold in France all come off the shelf with a carrier lock, and when you pay Orange to unlock it, they submit the IMEI number to Apple Inc. Apple then processes the request and sends the unlock authorization through to your iPhone via a special feature in iTunes.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So they gave every American customers the tool so that Germans can use it.

Somehow, that doesn't make much sense to me.

The post with the list of normal, legit reasons to take out the SIM card are the most likely reasons, I think.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Optus (no 'yes' - that's their marketing slogan)
    Telstra
    Vodafone
    Virgin

Four carriers and we still get pretty much shafted in the contract prices department...