"SIM Ejector Tool" included in 3G iPhone - will it ship unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marc4, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Marc4 macrumors member

What do you guys think of the inclusion of a "SIM Ejector Tool"?
    Could it be that the 3G iPhone will be shipped unlocked, or at least be "officially" unlockable at some point?

Also note that a "docking station" will no longer be included, kind of like what happened with the iPod 5G.
    No 32GB is my biggest dissapointment, but I'm sure they'll make one soon.

-Marc

2. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Nah, that is for removing your sim from your 1st Gen iPhone to put in your 2nd Gen iPhone.

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

And all it is is a paperclip with one end already unfolded...

They sent those out during the stupid "loaner program".

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Docking stations. Thats so 2007. Who needs one with mobileme. And in any case since the iPhone is cheaper by 50% I think you can splurge a lil bit extra for docking station

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Hmm, no more dock after just 1 revision? Took them 4 to do it with the iPod. Still, the price makes up for it this time. Guess I won't be passing down my iPhone dock with the phone...

6. GodOfLove macrumors newbie

I got a feeling is gonna be totally unlock but At&t user will get it for $199 with 2 year contract while other user will get it for $399.

So many countries are gonna have iphone and many countries dun lock their phones...

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

You still need to connect it to transfer music, movies, etc. Also, doing a backup is helpful in case you destroy yours on accident. You don't really need it for the contacts, etc if you have mobile me, but it will be nice to not have to set up your email accounts and such again.

8. mumurphya macrumors newbie

mumurphya

9. Marc4 thread starter macrumors member

Well, according to this article, AT&T is providing the subsidy to be able to sell the phone at $199 (for the 8GB model).
    It also says that Apple will no longer get a monthly revenue share from AT&T users (in the US) which means all their profit is made up-front, since AT&T will buy them from Apple at a much higher price.

So, Apple could potentially sell them directly to us, the end-users, at a much higher price, and provide them unlocked so we can use them anywhere we please.
    Hence the logical inclusion of a "SIM unlock tool" to allow us to swap SIM cards as we please.

-Marc

10. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

There will be a dock see the iphone web site
    hahaah i love that show

and no it will not be unlocked or be unlockabul

11. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@Fonzljr
    There is a dock, but it is not included with the iPhone 3G.

12. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

13. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Huh? It doesn't say SIM unlock tool... it says SIM ejector tool.

14. Marc4 thread starter macrumors member

My bad, that's what I meant... as per my title.
    Bottom line is, I really think Apple is going the way most other manufacturers do things in Europe, where you can buy an unlocked phone for a much higher premium than through a carrier (who provide a substantial subsidy, the costs of which are recouped in phone/data plans associated with long contracts).

15. pintnight macrumors 6502

Guess nobody heard of a paper clip to pop out the SIM card holder?

16. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

how do u know this it has not been said either way as far as i know

17. applehockey macrumors member

applehockey

In the end- it is cheaper to maintain a 1st generation iPhone at $20 a month [for 2 years] then a the new iPhone.

SEE PICTURE[​IMG]

18. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Yes, yes it has. Look at the iPhone page and it lists the contents of the box and shows that it does NOT include the dock, and it also lists the Dock as an accessory you can buy separately.

19. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

Who wants to pay $99 buck for MobileMe though... I mean 99 bucks to get push email, calendar, and random files... why would you even need the files on your iPhone as Steve said it would be used if you "forgot it on your computer at home." you cant even print it out... I don't see the point.

20. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

I think that it will be unlckable but you just cant use it with any other phone people unless you cant to pay for 2 contracts.:confused:

21. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

THEY CANT DO THAT!!!! They have contrats with the phone carriers. They cant just say in Europe for example "We are going to ba avalable with O2" and then they make it so that you can activae it with vodaphone... Apple would get sued big time.

22. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

In the box...

This is direcly from the Apple website under the "Whats in the box" setion

• iPhone 3G
    • Stereo headset with mic
    • USB power adapter
    • Dock Connector to USB cable
    • Documentation
    • Cleaning/polishing cloth
    • SIM ejector tool

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Simply untrue.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What no BT Stereo Headphones? Heads will roll...:eek:

25. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

What I want to know is, with all the threads about activation, activation, activation. All the threads about activating instore and how contracts will work, and how you can only buy it activated and with a 2 year agreement, and even more multitudes of threads of how it will be activated to prevent unlocking and selling of phones for use on other networks,

that people still have hope of an official unlocked, multi-carrier iPhone, in the United States at least.

It's great.

O, and I love threads discussing of ways to get it on Verizon, or Sprint, or Disney mobile, or how someday it may be on these carriers. Some magical morning.

The single-carrier, locked, iPhone model is the absolute best cellular phone product and business model to use. Apple and ATT are interested in looking out for their best interest. This is why we probably won't ever see unlocked or multi-band iPhones. kthxbye.