Sim-Free iPhone 7 available this Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s54, Sep 14, 2016.

  1. s54 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    #1
    Can anyone confirm if the iPhone 7 will be sold as a "sim-free" version this Friday?

    I'm looking for any info related to the sim-free iPhone 7. Please save me the speech about getting a Verizon "sim-free" iPhone 7. I want the actual sim-free edition that doesn't require me to have an account with Verizon.
     
  2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    #2
    Account is only necessary when ordering online. You could walk into an Apple store and get a Verizon phone with no account if you pay in full.
     
  3. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #3
    The sim-free won't be available until at least 2 weeks after launch day, most likely a month.
     
  4. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #4
    No sim-free yet.

    If it like the 6s launch a year ago, a 2 week wait. Which isn't too bad.
     
  5. s54 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    #5
    2 weeks after launch, meaning two weeks after this Friday, right?
     
  6. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #6
    Yes...but nothing announced yet, so it's anybody's guess.
     
  7. Florida Gator macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2004
    #7
    Anybody saying things like "2 weeks" is just speculating. It could be 3 weeks, it could be 4 months, it could be never. There's been no consistent history with how Apple releases the SIM-free model and absolutely no leaked information on availability.

    My guess is it usually depends on demand. For popular releases like the iPhone 6, they are forking their production towards where the most demand is, which is carrier-specific phones. Once that demand is satiated, they will free manufacturing up for SIM-free models. With less popular phones like the iPhone 6s, that happens quicker, so it could be a few months. The iPhone 7 is tracking somewhere in between, so my guess would be 4-8 weeks.
     
  8. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #8
    Read my original post:

    All I said was that last year, it was a 2 week wait.

    I made no prediction when the sim-free model for the 7/+ would go on sale.

    Apparently, you can't read.
     
  9. Florida Gator macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2004
    #9
    Apparently you think every post is about you.
     
  10. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

    Jumpie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #10
    Just get the Verizon. It's the same as sim free
     
  11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

    Mlrollin91

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ventura County
    #11
    As others have stated. SIM free will not be available at launch. It is typically available a minimum of 2 weeks after launch and can take several months as well. It depends on demand of the product. If they have overwhelming demand for carrier devices, then they won't make SIM free ones until the demands die down. It took 2 weeks last year, and over 3 months the year before.
     
  12. Florida Gator macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2004
    #12
    99% chance it is, but there's a 1% chance the SIM-free version in the US might be the A1779, which is the Japanese version. It takes everything the A1660 has and adds three additional LTE bands and Type-F NFC. Doubtful this will be the US SIM-free version, but it's possible.

    Also, a lot of us don't have Verizon accounts and cannot order one without signing up with the intent to cancel. Just a big hassle (and a credit check).
     
  13. sr913 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    #13
    Is there any consistent story about whether you can walk into an Apple Store and buy a Verizon iPhone 7 without having to do the above? Everyone says ordering online requires an account, but there seems to be some variation in reports about whether they check your account status if buying in-store.

    And are the A1779's extra bands likely to translate to meaningful performance advantages over the A1660 if released in the US?
     
  14. Florida Gator macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2004
    #14
    No consistent stories. I haven't really seen anybody say they went into a Verizon store without an account and buy a phone. Guess we'll know more soon.

    No. It's really just important if you plan to travel to Japan.
     
  15. aka777 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #15
    Anyone know if you can purchase this via IUP if you are not using Verizon?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    That is up in the air at present. What I do know is that the Verizon and Sprint model utilize the qualcom LTE modem, which is capable of supporting T-Mobiles uber-fast 4x4 mimo service.
     
  16. Gangalanga macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    #16
    Actually, I went today with my 7 black preorder for ATT, and I ended up getting a full price Verizon instead. so it is possible.
    remember, unlocked will likely be Tmobile/Att like previous years, (i.e GSM only) unless you ask for Verizon....
     
  17. bufffilm, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

    bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #17
    So you were able to snag a Verizon phone even though you're not a Verizon customer?

    Interesting...was this at an Apple store?

    Pre-orders you couldn't do that, I think..
     
  18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #18
    That is not always the case. The verizon model could be missing some GSM bands. I haven't really looked into it this year, but does it have band 30?
     
  19. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

    Jumpie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #19
    I'm not sure what band 30 is but the phone is unlocked
     
  20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #20
    Last year, IIRC, the verizon 6S worked on all carries, but it was lacking a certain ATT band for LTE (band 30). The SIM free version had this band, but the verizon version did not. A small difference, but they are not always the same phones.
     
  21. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

    bluedukies8

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Location:
    Iowa
    #21
    Band 30 is supported

    http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/
     
  22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #22
  23. sr913 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    #23
    Looks like quite a few people are reporting having done this now, which is good news.......if I'm reading this correctly, it means.....
    (1) the Verizon version is basically equivalent to the forthcoming "sim-free" version, as in no meaningful performance differences (if you're not traveling to Japan).
    (2) you can purchase the Verizon version in a store (not online) without an account, as long as you ask for "device only".
     
  24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #24
    At the apple store yes. Not sure if a verizon store would let you do that, which is what the OP was asking.
     
  25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    Location:
    Orange County, California USA
    #25
    When I purchased my 6+, the sim-free factory unlocked didn't come out until January - 4 months later (not to be confused with the T-Mobile Sim-Free version).
     

Share This Page