Similar Threads

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
In the previous software version, similar threads to the one being viewed were found at the bottom of the page. I frequently found this helpful especially if I was investigating a new topic/field to me.

I’ve noticed this is absent post upgrade. Is this an intentional or accidental omission?

Reactions: C DM

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I never found that feature useful for me. I do agree, though, that it led to many necro-posts that were silly.

I'm happy to not have it anymore, however, I won't complain if it is uhhh, resurrected. It was at the very bottom and out of the way, so it never really bothered me.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
inter-prandial
I have mixed feelings about it. More than once I've been in a thread where a question is asked that I know I've read before. That's when "Similar Threads" could be useful, after a search on keywords doesn't find what I'm looking for. That's on its good days.

On a bad day, which were not uncommon, it was far too easy to get sucked into its vacuous view of "similarity". It would too often trigger on the least important word in a title, for no apparent reason at all. At other times, following any of the "similar" results would rapidly lead down a rabbit-hole of irrelevance. Sometimes the suggestions were as bad as the worst of the AI Weirdness website with none of the serendipitous comedy or accidental glory.

Kevbasscat

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Has this question been answered yet, because as someone who has just begun visiting and starting to participate more often, I found these posts invaluable. It's difficult enough searching for posts, but having them right at the bottom of the subject. I hope it stays.