Similar threads?

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Am I remarkably unobservant (quite possible) or is there a new "Similar threads" feature that wasn't there 5 minutes ago?

Attachments

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ya, was messing around with them. I didn't like how very old threads were pulled up.

Trying to see if it can be limited to more recent posts.

arn

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
It seems like it could be an interesting thing, but I doubt it has a lot of intelligence (similar to the ads that show up at the bottom of the page :p).

I was viewing a thread named "Singular Possessive" and it came up with references to "Obsessive Possessive" and "singular folder", neither of which is really a good match.

I'd hate to see what happens when one opens a "Help Me" thread. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
In my experience, the feature does a pretty good job and doesn't adversely affect performance in a noticeable way. No doubt it will exhibit some silly choices, just as those automatic ad-generating systems sometimes do, but it might be worth having anyway.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
the #1 thing that jelsoft needs to do is better their search features in vbulletin, because it annoys me even on my site which has less posts than this site has members. So it aggravates me to no end here.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
It would be great if this list could pop up, say during a new thread post.

Once the post is titled, you'd have the ability right there to "search for similar topics"

...kind of like the "have you searched before starting this thread" reminder that was suggested before, although I think this would work better because it will be perceived as a feature rather than a reminder.

That said I know nothing about the forum software...so it might not be workable.