Simple & Current Tutorials anywhere?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by vegasj76, Sep 19, 2009.

1. vegasj76 macrumors member

I just started learning (or trying to). The problem is, I can't find any tutorials online that are current, so I get errors when trying to duplicate the apps in the tutorial.

I would love to find something as simple as an app that shows an empty label that changes to "Hello World!" when a button is pressed. All I find out there are people dragging controls around in Interface Builder and not coding or connecting a controller (which is where I am really struggling right now).

Any links to samples or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Go to the iPhone OS Reference Library and search on "button tutorial". I think that's what you're looking for.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Most tutorials are simple enough that they should still work using the current tools. Some API methods may have been deprecated but many are still usable, just not guaranteed to be supported in the future.

But it sounds like you are wanting to find tutorials that avoid use of Interface Builder. Those will probably be much more difficult to find. So, perhaps you could elaborate on why you are averse to using it.

4. Kingbombs macrumors member

well to conect an outlet if that is your problem
    pressed control and click and drag from file Owner (in your IB main window) to the label and then when you let go it should pop up with "view" and "outlet, you declared" with it saying the name of the outlet

most tutorials will work now (don't often find tutorials that don't work really)

if they import anything from frameworks make sure you do that (but for hello world i doubt you are, or you shouldn't be)

5. xStep macrumors 68000

Search the iTunes store for the free and recent Stanford iPhone Programming course.

6. Kyle.B macrumors newbie

7. braves4life macrumors newbie

I would not suggest the Stanford Iphone Class because it assumes that you have experience in C.

8. Kingbombs macrumors member

I'm curious, what tutorials were you doing that wouldn't work?

9. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

www.mycodeteacher.com has some good tutorials. They have Objective-C and PHP tutorials, but there is a monthly fee to access them.

10. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

personally, i found that published books are far more useful and engaging than online tutorials. your very own developer's library is an invaluable resource.

if you are interested, 4 books come to mind, from start to finish:

1. Absolute Beginner's Guide To C (1994)
    2. Programming in Objective C 2.0 (2009)
    3. Beginning iPhone 3 Development (2009)

and optionally if you want to extend this knowledge to start programming on the mac, or even know what future iPhone SKDs might include.

4. Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (2008)

11. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

I got the 3rd book and that got me where I needed. I don't recall all of the tutorial I tried but they were all using cocoa.h. I will also look into the standford tutorials you guys mentioned. Thanks!