Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
1) Alphabetical sorting in Finder, but separately for files and folders.
2) A tabbed finder with a dedicated refresh button. 2 panes PLEASE!
3) Ability to quick look in stacks and spotlight results.
4) Ability to right click on items in a stack and spotlight results.
5) Ability to close windows in Expose mode.
6) Better intelligent contextual menus.
7) Unified marble interface.
8) Hot-swap support for iPods.
9) Built-in uninstaller for programs that removes residual files.
10) A simple image and video browser like "Windows Photo Viewer".

1) Finder ONLY displays files and folders. Nothing else. So you're saying apply alpha sort to NOTHING? smart...
2) Finder is REAL TIME. Windows is FAKE TIME. No refreshing needed for the former, but the latter needs to be thrown into a dumpster where it belongs.
3) Stacks is an alias of sorts. It simply redirects the stuff in a Folder to the Dock for quick access. Unless you have many files similar enough, it's not needed.
4) Spotlight is to search for something, if you already found it, why search for it?
5) Is it that hard to just click the window and then close it?
6) AI can only go so far...
7) It's unified already. If you want to rid the aqua UI, just change the appearance to graphite in system preferences.
8) It's hot swappable for me.
9) Most programs leave only a .plist file. And the ones that don't usually have an uninstaller, like Adobe.
10) Windows Photo Viewer is fail, and Apple has Preview. It may not view every single file format, but it does do the vast majority.

Sorry, but most of your suggestions don't make sense and/or already exists.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
2) Finder is REAL TIME. Windows is FAKE TIME. No refreshing needed for the former, but the latter needs to be thrown into a dumpster where it belongs.

Are you referring to Windows 95? I use Windows every day, and just today when I started copying files to another machine, lo and behold, they appeared on that machine without me refreshing.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
1) Finder ONLY displays files and folders. Nothing else. So you're saying apply alpha sort to NOTHING? smart...
3) Stacks is an alias of sorts. It simply redirects the stuff in a Folder to the Dock for quick access. Unless you have many files similar enough, it's not needed.
4) Spotlight is to search for something, if you already found it, why search for it?
5) Is it that hard to just click the window and then close it?
6) AI can only go so far...
7) It's unified already. If you want to rid the aqua UI, just change the appearance to graphite in system preferences.
8) It's hot swappable for me.
9) Most programs leave only a .plist file. And the ones that don't usually have an uninstaller, like Adobe.
10) Windows Photo Viewer is fail, and Apple has Preview. It may not view every single file format, but it does do the vast majority.

Sorry, but most of your suggestions don't make sense and/or already exists.

Wow...

I mean I usually defend the way OS X does things, but just... wow. You are waaay too stubborn. For example, QL in Stacks and Spotlight would be GREAT! Of course Spotlight is for searching, and QL would help you identify the correct result.

But I'm not even gonna try, I get the feeling it'd be like arguing with a brick wall.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Wow...

I mean I usually defend the way OS X does things, but just... wow. You are waaay too stubborn. For example, QL in Stacks and Spotlight would be GREAT! Of course Spotlight is for searching, and QL would help you identify the correct result.

But I'm not even gonna try, I get the feeling it'd be like arguing with a brick wall.

Yeah, that was a big stack of stupid. I like how the points don't even make any sense... f.ex. re: 9) "only" leaves a plist behind... as if that's super cool, ignoring the documented fact, which has happened to me more than once that the old plist can screw over the new version of an app. Nothing but a bunch of assertions, and mostly wrong.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
The most common complaints I see are "no cut and paste" and "no tabs". Cut and paste is one thing, but tabs are NOT an essential feature that is shameful not to have.
Yep, screw tabs... cut/paste for files is a must. What a pain in the ass it is to "move" files via drag and drop on a 13" screen.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Go into a folder with multiple types of files and select everything then right click and do open. Thats not the same as Windows Picture Viewer. On Windows you can open ONE image and then click next to go through all other images in the directory without having to manually select and find just the images.

Preview is good for certain uses but it is no Picture Viewer when you are going through multiple images in a directory. If it could automatically load all images in a folder when you open one then it would easily be better than Picture Viewer, but its missing that one very special feature.

I think the idea is that organising by directory is the bad way to do things. Importing in to iPhoto and organising in a proper photo application is better. Rather than Preview being a poor WPV, WPV is a poor iPhoto.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
Go into a folder with multiple types of files and select everything then right click and do open. Thats not the same as Windows Picture Viewer. On Windows you can open ONE image and then click next to go through all other images in the directory without having to manually select and find just the images.

Preview is good for certain uses but it is no Picture Viewer when you are going through multiple images in a directory. If it could automatically load all images in a folder when you open one then it would easily be better than Picture Viewer, but its missing that one very special feature.

Why not just select the first picture (or whatever you want), press space and use the arrow keys to go back and forward? :confused: That's what I do.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I think the idea is that organising by directory is the bad way to do things. Importing in to iPhoto and organising in a proper photo application is better. Rather than Preview being a poor WPV, WPV is a poor iPhoto.
It has nothing to do with organizing photos, it has to do with browsing images in general. iPhoto isnt appropriate at all for quickly browsing through images that have no reason to be organized in categories, or need to be left alone for editing in Photoshop, or pretty much any other reason that doesnt have to do with grabbing photos off a camera. Not to mention iPhoto is incredibly slow, WPV is instant with no frills and gets its job done in less than a second. iPhoto was never meant to be a frequent image viewer, it would be like using Photoshop as an image viewer.
Why not just select the first picture (or whatever you want), press space and use the arrow keys to go back and forward? That's what I do.
I already said Quicklook is a substitute for Picture Viewer. Its not perfect though, you cant leave it open without it switching to different things as you start doing something else, it doesnt have any controls like zoom, and it does every file you have rather than just images.

For browsing images there is nothing OSX has thats as handy as Picture Viewer on Windows.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Wow...

Very well said, I think I might have lost my cool when I read his post. ;)

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
It has nothing to do with organizing photos, it has to do with browsing images in general. iPhoto isnt appropriate at all for quickly browsing through images that have no reason to be organized in categories, or need to be left alone for editing in Photoshop, or pretty much any other reason that doesnt have to do with grabbing photos off a camera. Not to mention iPhoto is incredibly slow, WPV is instant with no frills and gets its job done in less than a second. iPhoto was never meant to be a frequent image viewer, it would be like using Photoshop as an image viewer.

I already said Quicklook is a substitute for Picture Viewer. Its not perfect though, you cant leave it open without it switching to different things as you start doing something else, it doesnt have any controls like zoom, and it does every file you have rather than just images.

For browsing images there is nothing OSX has thats as handy as Picture Viewer on Windows.

I think you hit the nail right on spot. This is what I was getting at. Preview isn't easy for casual browsing.

Sure, you got pics from last night's party on a USB drive. But importing them into iPhoto and then looking at them is too time consuming. In Windows, you double click on one image, quickly browse through the entire folder and you're done. It would be nice to have something similar in OS X.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland

You can drag a folder icon onto Preview and you'll be doing as much work as if you clicked on an icon in Windows, and you'll get the same results.

I beg to differ. Coverflow.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.