Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have a win xp pc with an old printer attached to it.
My new mac and the pc will be in local network.
Will mac be able to print with this old printer through the pc-win?
I know about printer sharing but I do not know what happens when a printer is old(no mac os x driver).

OSX conains drivers for almost all printers know to man. By the off chance the mac does not have the driver, you should be able to downloaded from the printers website

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
OSX conains drivers for almost all printers know to man. By the off chance the mac does not have the driver, you should be able to downloaded from the printers website

not true,
and false.

both your statement are false. OSX doesn't have all the drivers known to man, as a matter of facts, I doubt it has drivers for half of the printers on the market now.

and when OSX doesn't have the driver for printer, U have good chance NOT be able to find any driver for the printer.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Please tell me more about accounts.
I do not even know what account I am using.
All I know is that everytime I want to make an installation, osx requires password.

I want to have many privileges, so that I can do my tasks fast and efficiently, but I also want to be safe.

Should I create a new account?
Could I use admin account?
Is it good not having passwords? If not, where do I set it?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
check your system preference->accounts
on the left side, u will see all accounts there, there should be smaller fonts below the account's name indicating the type of the acc, "admin" means administrator account.

I think Password is necessary, after all, as a branch of Unix, normal users like you and me, once given root privileges, might do severe damage to the system without even knowing it.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
If I dismount a disc, how can I mount it again without having to pull it out and insert it again? Where it 'sits' on the system in order to find it and mount it?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If I dismount a disc, how can I mount it again without having to pull it out and insert it again? Where it 'sits' on the system in order to find it and mount it?
Depending on the drive, you could see if it appears in Disk Utility, and re-mount it from that... that works with at least one of my USB2 disks...

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I read in apple site about expose etc and the functions are made pressing f9,f10,f11.
This do not work on my mbp. When I press these keys it appears an on screen display with a sign like a stop button.
What I am doing wrong?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Please help me!
Only f11 works. f9 and f10 do nothing.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have a nokia mobile phone. Does mac os x has any application to connect to mobile phone using a usb cable and viewing its data?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Please answer in whatetever you want:

- how can I make finder to display always the path of folder/file I am looking for?(something like address bar)

-how can search for text strings inside documents? I did not found something looking at spotlight preferences.

-does spotlight supports wildcards correctly?

- how can I get info for all the files together, when I select them one by one? Lets say I want to see the filesize of 5 files. As far as I know, I can have info about a single folder, or a single file. If I select 5 files, I will get 5 windows of file info. But I do not want that. I want an overall 'get info' window.

-when I do updates of my osx system, how can I see what is the version number of an application I have and compare it with the version number that the system update tells me to update to? I need to know these two version numbers, how can I obtain such info?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
- how can I get info for all the files together, when I select them one by one? Lets say I want to see the filesize of 5 files. As far as I know, I can have info about a single folder, or a single file. If I select 5 files, I will get 5 windows of file info. But I do not want that. I want an overall 'get info' window.
Choose the files you want info on, right-click (or ctrl-click or two-finger-click) and hold down ctrl-button to Get Summary Info instead of the regular Get Info.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
No way to see path of files in an address bar in finder?
Should I look for an alternative file browser?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I know that I can change the keys for changing typing language.
The default keys are not practical for me.
I would like to have something like the windows default (alt-shift) but every possible key combination I tried (the practical combinations for me-not every combination) was already occupied and defined by the system.
I think about making changes to these key combinations but I would like to hear about your practical combinations.
The main purpose is to change language just using only the left hand.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have folder full of videos.
The codecs exist on the system because I play them.
I would like to see them in a thumbnail view, displaying the first frame of each video.
Now, all I can see like thumbnail view, are big logos of quicktime for each video.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have folder full of videos.
The codecs exist on the system because I play them.
I would like to see them in a thumbnail view, displaying the first frame of each video.
Now, all I can see like thumbnail view, are big logos of quicktime for each video.

Should I suppose that this could not be done (windows explorer do it) and I need a third party special browser-file manager?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I tried to see for a while the application 'skype'.
Now, everytime I startup my mbp, skype loads and ask me about installing, accepting licence etc.
It is very annoying.
How can I get rid of this?
I tried to find every single file of skype using spotlight but even now that I deleted some files, skype loads at startup.
Where can I control what loads on startup? How can I delete the skype?

infz

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
Why not? I don't see a problem for general use to use the admin account.

Then I guess you've never written software. When people write apps, it is usually assumed that the software is running as a regular user on the system, without admin privileges. The system's behaviour can change when run as superuser (depends on OS, etc...). Suppose the app is about to delete some files, and it assumes it can only delete the files it has permissions for; well, if it's admin, depending on the situation, it could accidentally blow a lot of stuff away.

Running as admin isn't just a security threat because of malicious code; software has bugs. The developers of the programs you're running often don't trust their own code enough to run it as admin. You shouldn't either.

Although, I'm speaking mostly from my experience with Linux here. Also, I guess the other issue is privacy if you're on a multi-user system.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I tried to see for a while the application 'skype'.
Now, everytime I startup my mbp, skype loads and ask me about installing, accepting licence etc.
It is very annoying.
How can I get rid of this?
I tried to find every single file of skype using spotlight but even now that I deleted some files, skype loads at startup.
Where can I control what loads on startup? How can I delete the skype?
You can locate apps programed to launch upon startup in System Preferences > Accounts > (Your Account) > Login Items > (Select the app and press the "-" button to delete).

If you wish to completely delete Skype, just drag the file called Skype.app from your applications folder to the trash.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I am a bit confused with all these application pop up windows.
There are many times I search to find where a new window lies!
For example, when I use firefox, when it opens the window to download a file, if I did not press a button and I hit another application, when I come back to firefox the window of downloading a file is not there! It is hidden. Fortunatelly there is expose but is this normal?

It is not only firefox doing this.
Canon's scanner software do the same also.
And other applications too.
I am searching for the windows all the time.
And in mac os x there is not the feature the microsoft windows has, when a new window opened, it exists in taskbar. In mac os x no new window takes a place in dock unless the user minimize it.

Am I doing something wrong?

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
I am a bit confused with all these application pop up windows.
There are many times I search to find where a new window lies!
For example, when I use firefox, when it opens the window to download a file, if I did not press a button and I hit another application, when I come back to firefox the window of downloading a file is not there! It is hidden. Fortunatelly there is expose but is this normal?

It is not only firefox doing this.
Canon's scanner software do the same also.
And other applications too.
I am searching for the windows all the time.
And in mac os x there is not the feature the microsoft windows has, when a new window opened, it exists in taskbar. In mac os x no new window takes a place in dock unless the user minimize it.

Am I doing something wrong?

You aren't doing something wrong. It is just a difference between Windows and Mac. On Windows, if one program is in front of another, all the windows belonging to that program usually are too. On mac, this is not always so.

To find the window, simply click on the "Window" menu in the menu bar, which will list all menus, or press-and-hold or right click the icon in the dock and it will list all windows belonging to that program.

The window is still there, it is just hiding behind windows belonging to another application.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
What about spotlight indexing?
I connected an external hard disk and I discovered it did indexing about an hour!
Does it uses hard disk space to store all these indexing data?
Can I set it not to index the external hard disk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.